-- COVID-19 UPDATE --
As we continue to monitor the Covid-19 pandemic and follow health experts' advice, we offer this update:
* In the event of cancellation of our physical festival due to Covid-19, submission fees for accepted films will be refunded if requested. However, we're working on a virtual festival solution and plan to provide all accepted films/filmmakers the option to exhibit virtually, if necessary, and in lieu of the physical festival.
* We thank everyone for their patience while we navigate the new reality and embrace change.
Whether film scholar or film lover, most will agree that film is an art form that is both a reflection of our everyday life and a means to escape it. Film can take us away while at the same time embed us in the truth of other people’s stories, some beautiful, some cruel, and some unimaginable. Our attendees eagerly anticipate each season's program of varying tales, contexts, and characters both rare and relatable.
We believe that we host a dynamic and welcoming event, but don't just trust our word -- here's what our attendees, filmmakers, volunteers, and sponsors have to say about us: https://vimeo.com/254382961
In closing, it is common for films exhibited by our Festival to be nominated for OSCARS® and other major awards.
Audience Choice Award for Best Film
Artistic Diversity Award
The award is presented to artists who have made an outstanding contribution as citizens of the planet through a commitment to artistic, humanitarian, or social causes.
Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards for:
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Supporting Actor in a Leading Role
Best Supporting Actress in a Leading Role
Feature-Length Films and Documentaries
We ONLY accept feature-length entries of 70 minutes or longer. This Festival does not accept short subject entries and shorts will not be considered or returned for any reason.
PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR A FEE WAIVER OR DISCOUNT! We do not issue them to FilmFreeway entries as there is no way to implement a fair method for which films do, or do not deserve the accommodation.
The entry fee is non-refundable.
We do not accept films that are already available via VOD, Cable, and TV, or which are already for rent/sale on DVD prior to, or during the Festival dates. Submitted films must not open in any other Scottsdale/Phoenix area Festivals or theatrically prior to the Festival and Series screenings.
ONLINE SCREENER POLICY:
We also accept Vimeo and YouTube links in addition to FilmFreeway Screeners. Pursuant to viewing online screeners: Statistics from online providers (Vimeo, YouTube) are often inaccurate and should not be relied on as proof of our review. Some services use averages or trends as facts. It is our intention to watch all screeners in their entirety -- for the integrity of our event and out of respect for the filmmaker. However, if after watching 60% if the film, it is apparent that the piece would not be programmed into our final selections, we reserve the right to cease watching.
We do not have a membership to FestivalScope or Cinando. If your film is meant to be previewed by our programmers via FestivalScope or Cinando you must provide us with both login and password access.
SHIPPING INFORMATION/EXHIBITION PRINTS
Exhibition prints must be sent to the Festival prepaid. The Festival will cover return shipping via FedEx, DHL, UPS or US Mail, unless other arrangements are requested.
In case or loss or damage during the Festival, the responsibility of the Festival is limited to the costs of repair or replacement of the print only.
While all entries are packaged with extreme care, the Festival is not responsible for loss or damage to prints in transit.
The following must be included for each entry:
- Entry Form (Accepted online through FilmFreeway, 1 per entry)
- Online screener
- Entry Fee (Accepted online through FilmFreeway)
- Brief Synopsis
- Filmmaker Bio and/or Filmography
- Press Kit
Please be sure the following information is readily available in your FilmFreeway filmmaker account!
English title (with English article if necessary)
Under Submission Contact section (Click on "PREFERENCES" on the left-hand side of the screen):
Throughout the listing (i.e. Niches, Formats, etc.):
Applicant Acceptance (Release)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS - Applicant Acceptance (Release)
I (FILMMAKER) have read and agree to the submission and general rule requirements and certify that I am authorized to submit this film to the Scottsdale International Film Festival (FESTIVAL). I understand that, in the event my work is selected the FESTIVAL will retain the submission copy. Further, if accepted, I agree that the FESTIVAL is authorized to publish my contact information in the print source page of the program guide.
If accepted, the FILMMAKER understands that the FESTIVAL is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition and for promotional purposes. Additionally, the FILMMAKER:
1. Guarantees a DCP for no more than two FESTIVAL screenings between November 6th - 15th, 2020.
2. The DCP is unencrypted or if encrypted will come with open keys for the FESTIVAL duration.
3. The DCP will be received by the FESTIVAL no later than October 21st for ingesting and testing.
4. FILMMAKER'S submission will not be exhibited within a 75 mile radius of the FESTIVAL or appear via any U.S. VOD outlets, U.S. DVD retail or rental outlets, or streaming channels before November 17th.
5. FILMMAKER will honor this screening commitment with the FESTIVAL even if a distribution agreement is reached before the exhibition dates.
6. FILMMAKER agrees that no rental fee is required for the exhibition of the film in this FESTIVAL.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening; has paid for and holds all music licenses; has obtained written permission to use third party images/footage/film/video; and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Scottsdale International Film Festival, Inc. from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.