Rooftop Films is a New York based film non-profit whose mission is to engage diverse communities by showing independent movies in outdoor locations, producing new films, coordinating youth media education, and renting equipment at low cost to artists.
We bring the best independent films in the world outdoors to the rooftops of New York City. Submit your films for a chance to participate in one of the most unforgettable, unique, filmmaker-friendly, independent film events in the world.
To thank you for submitting, every filmmaker who submits a film will receive TWO free tickets to the Rooftop Films Summer Series (a $30 value).
In lieu of awards, Rooftop FIlms' Filmmakers Fund is an opportunity to help alumni filmmakers make their next movie.
• Rooftop Films accepts submissions of any length.
• Submissions can be of any genre or category.
• Submissions must be in English or have English subtitles and there must be a preview and screening copy available in English or with English subtitles, excepting music videos and films without dialogue.
• If your film is accepted, Rooftop generally screens digital files but we can often assist filmmakers in making transfers from other types of masters if necessary.
We are always in search of films that break down boundaries or feature innovative, personal, eccentric or hilariously innovative takes on old forms. We love animation of all forms, personal and political documentaries, satire, narrative comedies and drama, experimental and abstract films, found footage, detritus from the digital revolution and every other form of film or video art and entertainment. We screen hundreds of short and feature length films each summer and work tirelessly year round to bring these films to new audiences via tours, television programming and various forms of alternative distribution.
• Feel free to send along any additional press material, cast and crew bios or any other information about your film.
• Rooftop accepts submissions via online links or NTSC or PAL DVD (any region).
• Preview DVDs WILL NOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send a self-addressed stamped envelope. Please write or print your name, email, phone number, and the name of the film directly on the preview tape or DVD.
Mail any physical DVD submissions to:
232 3rd St
Brooklyn, NY 11215
• No part of the Summer Series is competitive, as we hope to foster a mutually beneficial community of filmmakers, programmers and film-goers. However, any artist whose work is selected to screen in any capacity becomes eligible to apply each year to the Rooftop Filmmakers' Fund which awards grants every year to be put toward future films and videos.