Rooftop Films is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showcasing the work of emerging filmmakers in outdoor locations, granting filmmakers to produce new films through the Filmmakers Fund, and renting equipment and supporting film screenings citywide at low-cost to artists, nonprofits and community groups.
In 2021, we'll celebrate our 25th annual Summer Series—our signature program of new, independent films—and we have every intention of hosting in-person screenings again! Whether drive-in screenings (as we did at the Queens & Brooklyn Drive-Ins this year), walk-up events, or some combination of the two, we will (of course) be consulting with local government officials and health advisors to do so in the safest way possible. We are looking forward to screening films in front of live, in-person audiences again soon!
As a thank you for submitting, every filmmaker who submits a film will receive tickets for two attendees to a Rooftop Films Summer Series screening (a $35 value, tickets are transferable).
Submit your films for a chance to participate in one of the most unforgettable, unique, filmmaker-friendly, independent film events in the world!
No part of the Summer Series is competitive, as we hope to foster a mutually beneficial community of filmmakers, programmers and film-goers. In lieu of awards, Rooftop Films offers cash, equipment, and service grants to alumni filmmakers for future projects through the annual Filmmakers Fund.
• Rooftop Films accepts submissions of any length.
• Submissions can be of any genre or category.
• Submissions must be in English or have English subtitles and there must be a preview and screening copy available in English or with English subtitles, excepting music videos and films without dialogue.
• If your film is accepted, Rooftop generally screens HD QuickTime ProRes files, blurays or DCPs.
We are always in search of films that break down boundaries and/or feature innovative, personal, eccentric or hilariously innovative takes on old forms. We love animation, personal and political documentaries, narrative comedies and dramas, experimental and abstract films, found footage, and every other form of film or video art and entertainment. We screen hundreds of shorts and dozens of feature length films each summer.
• Rooftop accepts submissions via online links. If you would like to submit by some other means, please email email@example.com