“PTFF features independent filmmakers. I support PTFF because I know PTFF supports these heroes of independent cinema: the directors, actors, producers, and editors….I love to invite my friends, family and new acquaintances to participate in PTFF programming – either at legendary in-person events in downtown Port Townsend, or at our Virtual Festivals. And when they ask me about my passion for PTFF, I tell them: these are movies you may never have heard of, but they are stories you will never forget.”
--Jeff Youde, PTFF Board President
"If you had told me that there was a movie-crazy town on the tip of the Olympic Peninsula, I wouldn’t have believed you. But somehow Port Townsend is a real movie mecca. As a filmmaker, I can’t think of a place more energized around the idea of film. PTFF is the driving engine of a community of people who love movies. What the Festival has created is a treasure, to be re-discovered every year.”
"...we call PTFF 'Xanadau!' Would return in a heartbeat!"
--Chris Cooper & Marianne Leone Cooper
The Port Townsend Film Festival believes in sparking community by connecting filmmakers and film lovers. The 22nd Annual Port Townsend Film Festival, streaming September 23 - October 3, 2021, has been called “the Sundance by the sea” for outstanding programming, legendary hospitality, and our enthusiastic and welcoming community.
Once upon a time, we were able to treat our filmmakers like royalty at our in-person festival. Filmmakers were honored with an Opening Day Parade, parties, private filmmaker lounge and more. But in 2021, who knows? We're currently planning for a virtual festival, but September is a long way off! Perhaps we'll have a hybrid festival? Either way, we look forward to seeing your work,
Janette Force, Executive Director
Jane Julian, Director of Programming
• Best Narrative Feature $2,500 cash prize
• Best Documentary Feature $2,500 cash prize
• Jim Ewing First Feature Award $1,000 cash prize
• PTFF Spirit Award to a film capturing the essence of our unique celebration
• Best Narrative Short
• Best Documentary Short
• Audience Choice is awarded in each category
• Special Jury Recognitions awarded at the discretion of the jury
To be eligible for PTFF, films must comply with the following:
• Must be available to stream online to pass holders during the Festival, Sep 23-Oct 3, 2021. Consideration for geo restrictions and date limitations will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
• PTFF will consider live screenings in addition to virtual screenings as state/county pandemic regulations allow.
• If accepted, upload of high-quality, digital film content to Eventive/Cinesend will be a filmmaker's responsibility. Submitter email will be the method of contact.
• Premiere status has no bearing on whether a film is selected. PTFF does not encourage a film being available on major streaming services or theatrical release prior to the event. Any film invited MUST communicate if release plans change. Failure to communicate may result in the film being pulled from the lineup.
• Non-English films must be subtitled.
In addition to the eligibility requirements listed above, filmmakers must comply with the following submission rules to be considered for an award:
• Submissions are accepted only through FilmFreeway.
• All items on the materials checklist must be provided by the entry deadline.
• Multiple submissions must be provided as individual submissions.
• 'Works in progress' will not be considered and submission costs will not be refunded.
I agree that I have secured all necessary rights for both picture and sound, and exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights including but not limited to music, images, and content. I further grant PTFF the right to use clips from the film at the Festival or online for promotional, archival, and other non-commercial uses.