Port Townsend Film Festival has been called “Sundance by the sea” for outstanding programming, legendary hospitality, and strong support for filmmakers. Situated in a charming yet sophisticated Victorian village two hours from Seattle, Washington, PTFF is a destination festival.
In 2024 we celebrate our 25th season. Plans are underway to make this year’s event extraordinary.
"If you had told me that there was a movie-crazy town on the tip of the Olympic Peninsula, I wouldn’t have believed you. But somehow Port Townsend is a real movie mecca. As a filmmaker, I can’t think of a place more energized around the idea of film. PTFF is the driving engine of a community of people who love movies. What the Festival has created is a treasure, to be re-discovered every year.”
The four-day in-person festival is fully walkable, featuring over fifty films and over thirty filmmakers and other special guests in attendance. Filmmaker highlights include: the Gala Dinner, Filmmaker Parade, post-film Q&As, Awards Party, Filmmaker Party (industry only), relaxing in the Filmmakers Lounge or by the water.
PTFF goes above and beyond awards and prizes for our alumni. Once we accept a film, the filmmaker becomes a part of our filmmaker family and gains membership in the PTFF Alumni network. PTFF Alumni benefits include:
• Waived submission fees for future festivals
• Eligibility for the PTFF Filmmaking Residency
• Access to the Producers Circle (and the chance for film funding)
• Eligibility to lead a PTFF Film Forum workshop
Past special guests include: Danny Glover, Cloris Leachman, Debra Winger, Tony Curtis, Elliot Gould, Beau Bridges, Peter Fonda, Eva Marie Saint, Bruce Dern, Patricia Neal, Indigo Girls, Malcolm McDowell, Piper Laurie, Chris Cooper, Karen Allen, John Sayles, Morgan Neville, Dyan Cannon, Buck Henry, Lindsay Wagner, Arliss Howard, Jane Powell, Shirley Knight, Charlie Soap, John Cooper, Jared Hess, Jerusha Hess, and Stephen Tobolowsky.
"We call PTFF 'Xanadau!' Would return in a heartbeat!"
--Chris Cooper & Marianne Leone Cooper
In 2024, the in-person festival is September 19-22, and the virtual festival is September 23-29.
We look forward to seeing your work,
Danielle McClelland, Executive Director
Jane Julian, Programmer
Christy Spencer, Program Manager
• Best Feature Narrative $2,500 cash prize
• Best Feature Documentary $2,500 cash prize
• Jim Ewing First Feature Award $1,000 cash prize
• Best Short Narrative
• Best Short Documentary
• Special Jury Recognitions awarded at the discretion of the jury
• Spirit Award to a film capturing the essence of our unique celebration
• Audience Choice is awarded in 4 categories: Feature Narrative, Feature Documentary, Short Narrative, Short Documentary
To be eligible for PTFF 2024, films must comply with the following:
• Grant permission for two (2) in person screenings Sep 19-22, 2024.
• Grant permission for virtual festival screening Sep 23-29, 2024. (Consideration for geo or ticket restriction may be negotiated)
• Supply DCP to PTFF through CineSend upload for in person screenings.
• Supply MP4 to PTFF through Eventive upload for virtual screening.
• Non-English films must be subtitled.
• Closed Captioning is highly encouraged!
• Any film invited must communicate theatrical or streaming release deals in consideration. Failure to do so may result in the film being pulled from the lineup.
• Submissions are accepted ONLY through FilmFreeway.
• Multiple submissions must be provided as individual submissions.
• 'Works in progress' will NOT be considered.
• Submission fees are not refundable.
• All submissions must be received by the final deadline - April 19, 2024.
By submitting a film to PTFF, you agree that you have secured all necessary rights for both picture and sound, and that the exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights including but not limited to music, images, and content. You further grant PTFF the right to use clips and trailers provided from the film at the Festival or online for promotional, archival, and other non-commercial uses.