The 2022 Play the Fool International Short Film Festival for the art of clowning/physical comedy is based out of Amiskwaciwâskahikan, colonially known as Edmonton, Canada, complements the Play The Fool Live Theatre Festival and welcomes interpretations of clowning from all corners of the world. The Play the Fool community has a mandate to support Edmonton area artists within an international framework.
"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself" ~Charlie Chaplin
Best on Earth
Best in Canada
Best in Alberta
BY REGISTERING TO SUBMIT YOUR FILM FOR CONSIDERATION (SUBMISSION), YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS ("Terms").
1. Films must be a maximum of 2 minutes, including credits with no minimum length requirement.
2. Submission fees will be waived in 2021-2022.
3. Only one (1) submission please per artist that has not been entered into our Festival in the past two years.
4. All submissions and artist materials must be copyright cleared and not infringe on the intellectual property rights or any other rights of any person.
5. The art of clowning/physical comedy can cross genre, but has to be more than just an aesthetic, and not necessarily limited to red nose, mask, dance comedy, bouffon, character pieces, comedy burlesque, drag, acrobatics, slapstick, puppetry, or animation. Please note our jury does not typically select horror genre films for screening.
6. Films must be original works created for the medium of film, rather than footage of live performances. Also no promos, trailers, unscripted or public service announcements, please.
7. Entrants must complete their submission with this online entry form with two (2) still images from their film for promotional purposes.
8. Films must be provided as Vimeo or YouTube links with a minimum resolution of 1920x1080HD .MP4 for download.
9. YouTube/Vimeo links can be private but not be password restricted for public access.
10. A screening fee of at least $75 CDN will be offered to official selections.
11. Screening fees to Canadians will be sent by either Paypal or Canadian bank e-transfer. Non-Canadians must receive fees via Paypal.
12. Entries may be in any language, or have no dialogue at all. English subtitles for all dialogue is encouraged, but not required. Please note the Festival’s working language is English.
13. Officially selected films will be screened in a live event and posted on playthefool.ca on April 1, 2022. Entrants must agree to keep their films available online until at least March 31, 2023.
14. Play the Fool Film Festival reserves the right to refuse entry at its own discretion. Submitted material must not contain obscene, unlawful, racist, or sexist material.
15. There is no premiere requirement.
16. All decisions made by the jurors are final and at their discretion.
17. This festival is in no part sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with YouTube or Vimeo.
18. The festival reserves the right to digitally archive selected films.