This international short film festival for clowning around on screen is in its second instalment, based out of Edmonton, Canada, complements the Play The Fool Live Theatre Festival and welcomes interpretations of clowning from all corners of the world. International and local films are jury selected with engaging, creative content considered more important than slick production values. No clips, trailers, promotions or announcements please. The Play the Fool International Short Film Festival community has a mandate to support films by Edmonton/Amiskwaciwâskahikan-area artists within an international framework.
"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself" ~Charlie Chaplin
Golden Nose - Jury's Choice
Fools Gold - Best Edmonton/Amiskwaciwâskahikan-area film
Red Nose - Best International
BY REGISTERING TO SUBMIT YOUR FILM FOR CONSIDERATION (SUBMISSION), YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS ("Terms").
1. Films must be a maximum of 2 minutes, including credits with no minimum length requirement.
2. Submission fees will be waived in 2021.
3. Only one (1) submission please per artist. It does not have to be a new work but should not have been entered into our Festival the past two years.
4. All submission and artist material must be copyright cleared and not infringe on the intellectual property rights or any other rights of any person.
5. Films must contain clown/physical comedy themes that include but are not limited to red nose, mask, dance comedy, bouffon, character pieces, comedy burlesque, drag, acrobatics, slapstick, puppetry, animation, or the undefinable.
6. Films must be original works created for the medium of film, rather than footage of live performances. No trailers please.
7. Entrants must complete and submit this online entry form with two (2) still images from their film.
8. Films must be provided as Vimeo or YouTube links.
9. YouTube/Vimeo links can be private but not be password restricted, or we will be unable to see your film!
10. Sponsorship will support in part films from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada / Amiskwaciwâskahikan area residents.
11. A screening fee of at least $75 CDN will be offered to official selections.
12. Screening fees to Canadians will be sent by either Paypal or Canadian bank e-transfer. Non-Canadians must receive fees via Paypal.
13. Entries may be in any language, or have no dialogue at all. English subtitles for all dialogue is encouraged, but not required. Please note the Festival’s working language is English.
14. Films selected for screening will be posted on playthefool.ca on April 1, 2021. Entrants must agree to keep their films available online until at least March 31, 2022.
15. Play the Fool Film Festival reserves the right to refuse entry at its own discretion. Submitted material must not contain obscene, unlawful, racist, or sexist material.
16. There is no premiere requirement.
17. All decisions made by the jurors are final and at their discretion.
18. This festival is in no part sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with YouTube or Vimeo.
19. The festival reserves the right to digitally archive selected films.