PEDRA DURA - Algarve Dance Festival is a new space dedicated to dance programming, creation and research in the city of Lagos, Portugal.
In 2023 it brings us its 2nd edition, with a special focus on the body that positions itself in the landscape and lets itself be swallowed by it. The doors open again to an attentive dance, gutted, brilliantly hidden in the matter. An invitation to get lost and let ourselves be carried away, as if the body and the cliffs allowed themselves to be excavated from the inside out.
For this edition of PEDRA DURA Festival, we have decided to open an Open Call for a screen dance competition focusing young audiences, where the language of focus is dance, movement and physicality as a central point of work. This Open Call is open to the reception of video-dances, animation, video-art, among other areas of artistic activity and research that focus on movement as a central object.
This competition will be presented in five sessions for classes from five different primary schools, leaving in the hands of this small jury the selection of the winning film made by the festival's curatorial team.
The selection of the best film will be up to the young spectators who, over the course of the five sessions, will vote for the one that stands out for them. The best film will be the one with the highest number of votes, after adding up the votes from the cinema sessions taking place in five different primary schools.
Best Film Award - 200,00€ (two hundred euros)
Terms and Conditions of Participation:
- Eligibility is extended to both national and international filmmakers, dance companies, and artistic collectives. Entrants have the opportunity to submit multiple dance films;
– Submitted works should consist of short dance films or dance animations, primarily using the medium of dance, movement, and broadly interpreted physical expression. The films must not exceed a duration of 10 minutes; longer submissions will not be considered.
- The films should prominently feature the realm of dance or place special emphasis on movement. The event welcomes entries spanning video-dance, animation, video-art, and other suitable genres that align with the event's focus;
– Originality is essential, with full rights retained by the creators. Submitters affirm that they possess the distribution rights for their work;
– Applicants are responsible for ensuring that they have procured all necessary copyrights and permissions before submitting. The festival will not cover any additional presentation expenses. Care should be taken to ensure that any music used is cleared for copyright and that no music performance royalties are required;
- By participating in the festival, entrants grant the right to employ excerpts and visuals from their submissions for promotional purposes related to the Festival. Participants relinquish any claims to compensation for the use of their work in such promotional contexts. Should a third party seek to utilize excerpts outside of these contexts, the festival will communicate with the film's rights holder;
- Chosen films will be showcased in private screenings tailored for a youthful audience. Festival PEDRA DURA will not provide compensation for these screening presentations;
- Any submission containing content that promotes violence or hatred against individuals or groups based on attributes such as race, color, religion, lineage, ethnic origin, gender, or sexual orientation will not be considered for selection.
Selection and Awards:
- Submissions should reach us by the submission deadline, set for September 3rd, 2023 (23:59 Portugal Time). Ensure these are accompanied by a duly completed registration form, which must be exclusively submitted via FilmFreeway;
- If required, the provided dancefilm should come along with a password for access.
The chosen works must be dispatched in HD format, alongside a pair of photographs or film stills in JPG/300dpi;
- Films earmarked for screening at the Festival will be cherry-picked by our curatorial team and become contenders in the AWARD competition. This time around, award winners will be chosen by a rather unique panel: five distinct primary school classes;
- Those filmmakers whose entries qualify for the Festival will be directly notified via email. This communication will include a request for all the necessary information to be included in the festival booklet. Furthermore, all entrants will be kept abreast of the status of their selection through FilmFreeway's notification mechanism;
- In cases where the film incorporates spoken language, and should such inclusion serve to enhance the audience's grasp of the narrative, it is recommended to include Portuguese subtitles.