The Ontario Youth Film Festival (OYFF) celebrates and showcases the future storytellers of Ontario. The competition is open to student filmmakers registered in high schools throughout Ontario. (See below for additional Rules & Terms.)
The OYFF features five categories and two tiers of competition. The first tier finds the best films in four provincial regions: Southwestern Ontario; Central Ontario, Eastern Ontario and Northern Ontario. In the second tier of competition, the regional Winners and Runners-Up in each category vie to be named the “Best in Ontario.” Think OFSAA for the creative arts!
The OYFF has partnered with the Forest City Youth Film Festival (representing Southwestern Ontario) the Central Ontario Youth Shorts Film Festival (representing Central Ontario), and Cinéfest Sudbury (representing Northern Ontario). We are currently in talks with potential partner festivals to represent the student filmmakers in Eastern Ontario.
***HOW TO ENTER THE OYFF***
If you are attending a high school located in Southwestern Ontario, qualify for the OYFF by first entering the Forest City Youth Film Festival: https://filmfreeway.com/ForestCityYouthFilmFestival-1
If you are attending a high school located in Central Ontario, qualify for the OYFF by first entering the Central Ontario Youth Shorts Film Festival: https://filmfreeway.com/CentralOntarioYouthShortFilmFestival
If you are attending a high school located in Northern Ontario, qualify for the OYFF by first entering Cinéfest Sudbury's CTV Best in Shorts Competition:
If you are attending a high school in Eastern Ontario, enter the OYFF using this page.
$300 to the Winner in each category
$200 to the Runner-Up in each category
* All entries must be submitted via FilmFreeway.
* Works in progress will not be accepted.
* Films must be completed after January 1, 2021.
* To qualify for submission, the Director and most team members must be registered in a high school in Ontario at the time of submission.
* We accept and celebrate the diversity of our country and encourage submissions in English, French, Newcomer and/or Indigenous languages. (Submissions must include English subtitles.)
* The decision of the Judges and Selection Committee is final.
Terms and Conditions:
* By submitting to the OYFF, the entrant agrees to allow his/her work for consideration (hereafter known as the "Work") to be screened during the festival duration, at no charge to the festival. If any additional screenings are to take place, they will do so under mutual agreement between the entrant and the OYFF.
* For all Works selected by the OYFF, entrants will be asked to provide promotional materials, but we ask that no promotional materials be sent until selected and notified.
* By submitting to the OYFF, the entrant admits and acknowledges copyright ownership of the Work. Further, the entrant admits and acknowledges he/she has obtained the necessary permissions for any copyrighted material used in the Work (e.g. music).
* By submitting your Work, the entrant hereby grants the OYFF the following: non-exclusive, irrevocable rights to use and display the names, voices, photographs, likenesses and biographies of the entrant for use in advertising, publicizing and promoting the Work in any media.
* The entrant understands and acknowledges that, if under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must agree to the terms of the Filmmaker/Guardian Release on your behalf.
* The OYFF reserves the right to disqualify any submission at any time if there is any question of ownership, copyright infringement or any sign of disrespect (in any form of media) to the festival or its representatives. The OYFF will not be held responsible for any inclusion of uncleared materials in your film. (e.g. copyrighted music used without permission.)
* All entrants understand and acknowledge that they will be automatically subscribed to the OYFF's newsletter and may opt out at any time.
* Works posted on YouTube or other public video sites cannot be screened in the OYFF competition. We ask that Works submitted to the OYFF not be screened in Ontario between August 15 and November 15 at venues outside of the OYFF, and that they not be posted publicly online during that time.
* Works that are official selections are not permitted to withdraw from the OYFF after September 15. The OYFF reserves the right to update or modify these terms and policies without prior notice.
* We ask that entrants NOT USE SCHOOL EMAIL ACCOUNTS when submitting their Works. (Most communications with official selections occur during the summer period.)