The Northeastern Student Film Festival is a student-run festival held in November showcasing short films from college students and recent graduates in the greater Boston area. We aim to celebrate and empower young filmmakers and build a supportive creative community. With no submission fee, it’s a great opportunity for first-time and experienced filmmakers alike to exhibit their work. We encourage you to submit short films of any genre!
Films must be submitted by October 20, 2023, with possible exceptions listed below in Rules & Terms. The list of selected films will be released November 14. The festival event is on December 2, 2023 at Northeastern University's Curry Student Center.
The director(s) of a submitted film must be a student who was enrolled (full-time or part-time) in a college or university in the New England area sometime in the past three academic semesters (spring 2023, fall 2022, or spring 2022).
The work must have been finished within the current or previous year (2023 or 2022)
Films may have a runtime of up to 15 minutes (including credits).
Works in progress that are at least 80% finished will be accepted, but you must communicate this with us prior to the deadline (through email or DM) and a finished version must be submitted before the festival.
All students are eligible to submit a film, regardless of film classes, major, or experience.
Films that have previously screened in other festivals are eligible. Films made in and out of the classroom setting are eligible.
IMPORTANT: Our priority is showing off the wide range of creativity young filmmakers have to offer. If your film falls beyond the scope of these requirements, if you would like some type of exception, or you have other questions, contact the festival directly at email@example.com.
It is expected that filmmakers hold all respective rights required for their film before submitting. By submitting your film, you grant the festival permission to screen the film at this one night event and use stills for promotional purposes. Directors retain all rights to their films.
All entries are encouraged (but not required) to have English subtitles to make this festival as accessible as possible.
Is there an entry fee to submit a film or attend the festival?
• No, film submissions and festival attendance are completely free!
What types of films can I submit?
• We encourage all types of films, from drama, animation, documentary, experimental, music, comedy, etc.
Do I have to be a film student or need any sort of experience?
• All students are eligible to submit a film, regardless of film classes, major, or experience. Films made in and out of the classroom setting are eligible.
What if my film has already been screened?
• Films that have previously screened in other festivals are eligible.
What if I’m a student outside New England or my film exceeds the 15 minute limit? Can I get an exemption from any of the rules?
• Our priority is showing off the wide range of creativity young filmmakers have to offer, so we are definitely open to films that don’t follow the terms 100%. If your film falls beyond the scope of these requirements, contact the festival directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll review on a case-by-case basis.
Do I need a ticket to attend the festival?
• The Northeastern Student Film Festival takes place on December 2 and is free to attend and does not require a ticket, but we do ask that those outside the Northeastern community fill out an RSVP form, which we’ll be putting out closer to the event.