The New Bedford Film Festival celebrates authentic cinematic stories, cultivates bold storytellers, and champions the city’s growing creative economy. NBFF takes place in the vibrant city of New Bedford on the South Coast region of Massachusetts.
Under the fiscal sponsorship of the South Coast Film Forum, New Bedford Film Festival is committed to, our vision is spotlighting the diverse human experience through cinematic storytelling such as short & feature films, episodic, music videos, documentary and PSA shorts through a yearly film festival.
For year one, the New Bedford Film Festival will utilize spaces at New Bedford Ground Work as well as the second floor in the New Bedford Creative offices.
The three screening areas will allow for blocks of films to screen simultaneously as well as have a room for panels and a room for networking during and in between screenings.
In the evening, we invite everyone to the New Bedford Art Museum for our first "Story in a Frame" networking event where we ask filmmakers to submit a screenshot that best represents their project to be framed and discussed during the festival's run.
Throughout the day, explore our downtown small business scene in which filmmakers will be offered discounts and promotions when presenting their official NBFF badge.
The opening and closing events will be held at the prestigious state-of-the-art New Bedford Whaling Museum theater, featuring a red carpet arrival.
NOTE TO NEW BEDFORD FILMMAKERS: If you are a current New Bedford resident, submit your projects via the "New Bedford Project" category. Then, e-mail a license when you submit with the title of your project in the subject line. Failure to send a license within 72 hours of entry may result in disqualification.
We will host a LIVE award show at the New Bedford Whaling Museum on Sunday, April 21 where we will share nominated clips and give out trophies for the following categories:
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Documentary Short
Best Music Video
Best Digital Series
Best 48 Hour Film
Best Student Film
Best Newcomer Director
Best Actor in a Short/Episodic
Best Actress in a Feature
Best Actress in a Short/Episodic
Best Actress in a Feature
Best Musical Performer
*Additional technical awards will be given out during our pre-show cocktail hour:
Best Writing for a Short/TV Series
Best Writing for a Feature
Best Cinematography for a Short/TV Series
Best Cinematography for a Feature
Best Editing for a Short/TV Series
Best Editing for a Feature
Best Musical Score
Best Original Song
Best Production Design
Best Visual Effects
Best Subject in a Documentary
Best Youth Performer
Best Animated Short
*Please note some categories may be added/updated and may be shifted as to what is presented during or before the LIVE award show.
1. All film submissions should be available digitally. If you are unable/unwilling to use digital submission, please contact us.
2. Films which have been broadcast on Television, Cable or have had an international theatrical release are NOT eligible for any competition but may be screened, out of competition. Self-published online releases with less than 10,000 views are still eligible.
2a. Digital Series and Music videos are exempt from this rule.
3. Non-English language produced films must have English subtitles or be dubbed in English.
4. All entrants certify that they have been given full rights to use any and all music in their films.
5. Filmmakers or screenwriters accepted and are attending the festival are responsible for travel, lodging, and all other expenses.
6. New Bedford residents may submit a production for free, but should e-mail a license when they submit with the title of their project in the subject line. Failure to send a license within 72 hours of entry may result in disqualification.
7. All submitted entries should be completed after January 1, 2018.
8. NBFF has full rights to screen your entry at our festival, by submitting you are agreeing to these terms. We can also use screenshots, clips and photos from your film for up to two (2) years for festival marketing needs. Winning films for up to (5) five years.
8. All stated information, eligibility and submission guidelines, terms and conditions of entry, and entry information is subject to change by New Bedford Film Festival team, without notice.
9. If we do not receive enough films for a certain category to give up to four (4) nominations, the category might just be awarded outright to the winner without nominees or the category withdraw from this year's festival.
If there is any doubt as to whether your work qualifies or if you need an exception, please contact us before you submit! Once your entry/payment is processed it will not be refunded. Note: You may have to make your film/video available to us in order to answer your question on Filmfreeway.