Backed and organized by prestigious University of Zulia, we are the oldest running film festival in Venezuela, with 4 decades devoted to the promotion of cinema. Land of the first film screenings in the country, dated in january 1897, the city of Maracaibo hosts this festival which by the first time in its existence opens its call for entries to works and filmmakers al over the world.
The Festival will grant the following awards in the form of a Statuette and Diploma: Best National Fiction Short Film; Best National Documentary Short Film; Best National Animation Short Film; Best National Opera Prima; Best International Short Film.
Also, the Festival will grant Special Mentions through recognition diplomas in the following areas and categories: Best Screenplay; Best Direction; Best Photography; Best Sound; Best Editing; Best Music; Best Actor; Best actress; Best Art Direction; Best Camera; Best Special Effects; Best Environmental Themed Short Film; Best Human Rights Short Film; Best Student Short Film and Best Community Short Film.
15th National and International Short Film Festival “Manuel Trujillo Durán” FMTD
April 27-30, 2020
1. The FMTD, in its 15th edition will be held in the city of Maracaibo,State of Zulia, Venezuela, from April 27 to 30, 2020. It is a competitive event aimed at the promotion and enhancement of short films fiction, documentary, animation or hybrids, produced in any format or support, with a maximum duration of 30 minutes and that have been completed after January 2018. Works nominated in previous editions of the Festival will not be considered for the festival.
2. The Festival will have two Competitive Sections, the National Competition, only available to Venezuelan short films or works made in co-production with Venezuela; and the International Competition, open to filmmakers and works from all over the world.
3. For the purposes of the Festival, national short films are works that, fulfilling the conditions established in the first provision of these Terms, have been totally or partially shot in Venezuela, with Venezuelan Director, Producer and Screenwriters or who are legal residents in the country. Likewise, for the purposes of the Festival, national short films are those that have been shot entirely outside of Venezuela, as long as the Director and Screenwriter are of Venezuelan nationality.
4. Shortfilms must be submitted in Spanish or in the original version with Spanish subtitles.
5. Each author may register a maximum of 2 works.
6. The Selection Committee will choose among all the short films registered those that will be part of the Competitive Sections. Results will be communicated to applicants by the Festival and announced on the Festival website and through the media and social networks before 30 March 2020.
7. The Festival will contact all those selected to request the delivery of the projection file, which will be admitted in the following formats, according to the following order of preference: DCP; MOV ProRes422HQ; H.264; HD (1920x1080) or 2K (1998x1080 / 2048x858).
8. The Festival may use fragments of the selected works (maximum 1 minute) to promote the festival and the selected shortfilms.
9. Works can be registered from October 15th, 2019 until March 15th, 2020. Registration can only be made online through the platform www.filmfreeway. The Festival Registration fee will be US $ 5 if it is made before December 15th, 2019; of US $ 8 if made before February 15th, 2020 and US $ 12 if made before March 16th, 2020.
10. Submitters who reside in Venezuela may pay the registration fee in Sovereign Bolivars at the exchange rate of the day on which the registration takes place, in the Current Account No. 0134-0073-31-0731011184 of Banesco, on behalf of Dirección de Cultura LUZ, RIF: G200088060 and a copy of the bank receipt or transfer note must be sent to the email: email@example.com
11. Submitters must include a link to view the work, synopsis, technical and artistic information, poster of the short film, at least two (2) stills and two (2) photographs of the director as part of the materials available on the registration platforms mentioned in clause 9 of these RULES (Filmfreeway).
12. Enrollment in the Festival will grant the right to the participant to obtain a certificate issued by the Festival that proves participation in it, as well as a certificate that indicates that the work is within the official selection of the FMTD, if chosen.
13. Decisions of the jury will be final and their deliberations confidential. It will be delivered a written act of the decisions that will be signed by all the members of the Jury. The verdict will be announced at the awards ceremony.
14. The exhibition of the works admitted to the Festival will be done according to the official program prepared by the Festival.
15. It is implicit the authorization of the authors or the owners of these rights for the projection by the festival of the selected works during the festival, without there being contractual obligations by the organization of the ALIFF to the author, material or intellectual of the work, nor of any other representing society of any kind.
16. The Festival will grant the following awards in the form of a Statuette and Diploma: Best National Fiction Short Film; Best National Documentary Short Film; Best National Animation Short Film; Best National Opera Prima; Best International Short Film.
17. The Festival will grant Special Mentions through recognition diplomas in the following areas and categories: Best Screenplay; Best Direction; Best Photography; Best Sound; Best Editing; Best Music; Best Actor; Best actress; Best Art Direction; Best Camera; Best Special Effects; Best Environmental Themed Short Film; Best Human Rights Short Film; Best Student Short Film and Best Community Short Film.
18. The works awarded by the jury will include at the beginning or at the end of them, the reference of the prize or special mention obtained from the Festival.
19. Copies of the works awarded by the jury will become the property of the University of Zulia, with the copyright being protected.
20. Registration in the Festival implies full acceptance of these Rules.