The 3rd Annual NYC DOE/MOME Public School Film Festival is open to NYC Dept. of Education middle and high school students of all learning abilities and backgrounds. 20 films will be selected for the festival by a panel of educators and media professionals, and each film selected will receive a certificate of participation.
The filmmakers will be invited to a special online screening day May 6, 2021, followed by panel discussion with industry professionals.
Submissions will be accepted between Jan 5 and Mar 16, 2021. Films will be selected and notification given by early April 2021.
To submit a film, you must be a teacher or a parent/guardian.
•If you are a parent/guardian, you will need to certify media consent for DOE and NYC.
•If you are a teacher, you will need to certify you have media consent forms (https://infohub.nyced.org/in-our-schools/translations/forms/media-consent-form) or email from parents/guardians from all students participating in the film.
The email from parent/guardian should state:
I hereby consent to the participation in interviews, the use of quotes, the use of Student’s name and the taking of photographs, audio recordings, movies or video tapes of the student named below. I also grant to the right to edit, use, and reuse said products for nonprofit purposes including use in print, on the internet, television, and all other forms of media. I also hereby release the New York City Department of Education and the City of New York, including their officials, employees, agents, and licensees from all claims, demands, and liabilities whatsoever in connection with the above.
Student Name: ____________
Parent/Guardian Name: _____________
Parent/Guardian Email: _____________
Films must be 5 min. or less, in .mp4 or .mov format. Films must have original or public domain music.
• Short feature/narrative
No nudity, profanity or violent acts are permitted.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
To be eligible for consideration:
1. Entrants must fully comply with these Rules & Regulations, including deadlines and entry material requirements.
2. Non-English language works must have English subtitles at the time of submission.
3. Films must be 5 minutes or less in length.
4. Films must have been completed after January 1, 2020 and have not been previously submitted to the festival.
5. Filmmakers must be presently enrolled in a New York City public school.
6. Youth filmmakers must play the major creative role on the production of the submitted works— as directors, writers, and/or editors.
7. No nudity, profanity or violent acts are permitted.
8. All music must be original or in the public domain.
9. Entries must be submitted by an adult in consultation with a NYCDOE teacher or administrator.
10. All scripts and stories must be original work created by the student.
All entries must include the following:
• Completed application
• Completed Film submitted to filmfreeway.com
There is no entry fee.