NOFI is a multi stage International Festival of New and Original Films. It was founded by the World Organization of Independent Cinema and Center of American New Cinema and Arts (CANCA). Each year an estimated 1000 independent and student films participate in the NOFI festivals from 60 countries. We have representatives in 11 countries including USA, Russia, Sweden, Armenia, Belarus, UK,Belgium, Holland, Georgia , Arab Emirates and Philippines.
The goal of the NOFI festivals is to find and invite talented film directors to NOFI film studying and producing programs for shooting their films in Los Angeles or other NOFI countries with the help of our sponsors and grants. We then represent, promote and will try to sell the best films from NOFI in the American Film Market, Cannes film market, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and other markets. Winning films can also participate in NOFI sister’s film festivals in Korea, Poland, Germany, Estonia, Russia and Armenia. The winners from each category and diplomas of honor can have the opportunity to show their films (edited versions) at our NOFI film festival on YouTube channel. The best actors from the best films can join our “Accent” International Talent Management. Also the trailers of the awarded films will be in our web site for years, providing more exposure. Our festival helps expose new and emerging directors and actors. NOFI festivals give them an opportunity to present their names in motion pictures studios and be discovered in the film industry worldwide. NOFI is designed to showcase innovative work by new filmmakers who may (or may not) have been overlooked by other festivals. We organize forums and round tables with filmmakers during the NOFI festivals to understand their needs, help solve common problems with film production and discuss their future projects. Our slogan is- “Indie filmmakers without borders.” Many celebrities and representatives from film studios have attended screenings and award ceremonies of NOFI festivals.
The festival categories
1 Professional Indie Feature films (full length and short)
2 Emerging directors short films (up to 30 min.)
Student films (films made by graduates and students of film universities, institutes, academies, schools and colleges) up to 30 min.
Amateur films (films made by non-professionals, who are not from the film industry and making films not for living purposes). up to 20 min.
2.1 Experimental films – up to 10 min.
2.2 Films made with mobile phones - up to 3 min.
Winners will be offered a slot in the NOFI program where they will have the opportunity to shoot in Los Angeles with up to $50000 and more of pre-production and filming costs compensated by the program.
The following awards will be presented:
1. Golden NOFI - Grand Prix for the best film of festival
2. Golden NOFI for the best student film
3. Golden NOFI for the best professional film
4. Golden NOFI for the best non-professional film
5. Golden NOFI for the best documentary
6. Golden NOFI for the best animation
7. Golden NOFI for the best experimental film & best mobile film.
The organizers can send awards to absent participants with prepaid shipping by the film maker.
The Jury and the organizer have the right to change the division of the prizes.
Rules of participation
The indie films presented in the competition can be fiction, documentaries, experimental and animated.
Films can be submitted from the cinema institutes, film major students from universities, film clubs, organizations and film festival of indie movies or individually.
All non-English language films must have English subtitles. Films will be published on the official NOFI website during the process of preselecting. Film’s copies qualified for the NOFI Festival remain in the organizers archives and become in their possession. NOFI does not profit from the film screening of these films.
Because of the number of entries received, not all entries can be publicly screened during the Festival. A pre-screening committee, comprised of filmmakers, screenwriters and other artists associated with the NOFI Los Angeles Film Festival, will pre-screen each entry to determine which works are selected for screening during the Festival.
NOFI Film Festivals - preliminary -2016, final - 2017
Rules for Participation
1. Dates and Venue
The NOFI Film Festival 2016 will take place on September 20-22 in Sochi, Sept 25-26 in St.Petersburg, Sept 29-30 in Moscow, Russia at Luxor cinemas.
October, 4-5, 2016, Stockholm, Sweden
Nov 3-4,. 2016 in Yerevan, Armenia in House of Cinema
March 1-3 , 2017 in Los Angeles, USA, 5 Star Cinema
The Festival reserves the right to place entries into alternative categories if they feel it is to the benefit of the title. Each submission must be entered separately. Entries will be assessed and successful submissions will be programmed for screening and enter the Festival competition.
For the selection process acceptable formats: Mp4, H 264, DVD, Blu-Ray and secure online screener.
4. The Festival is organized by the Center of American Newl Cinema and Arts (CANCA).
The Festival directors reserve the right to invite films for the competition and programme. Screening schedule will be announced after the final submission deadline. The final award winning entries will be selected by a Festival jury and audience votes. Award winners will be notified within 14 days of the festival screenings, if they are not present on the night.
5. Entry Returns
We do not return entries.
It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure that films for screening are deposited with the Festival organisers at least 40 days before any scheduled screening.
We reserve the right to use extracts from submissions for festival publicity and marketing purposes. Press kits are not required, but are useful, so please feel free to send these with your submissions.
Eligibility for Student Awards - The producers of the film and/or director must have been a student when the film was produced.
These awards are subject to change. Award nominations will be announced prior to the festival.
8. Submission, Selection for Screening, Awards and VOTING
There are 3 distinct stages. Submission, Screening and Award. The administrators' decision is final.
NOFI is designed to showcase innovative work by new filmmakers who may (or may not) have been overlooked by other festivals. For the most part this means first and second efforts by filmmakers in the short and feature categories. All submissions are considered and welcome. NOFI Los Angeles is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless NOFI Los Angeles from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. By submitting your film to NOFI LA you commit to a public screening of your film with NOFI LA.
1. The film copyrights should in no way be restricted, violate any third party’s copy rights or other privileges. Should this condition not be met, the participants are obliged to attach to the Festival application a written statement explaining the legal status of his work.
2. By submitting the film, the author agrees to show it to public and free of charge, for screenings at the NOFI International Festival of New and Original Films.
3. The organizers have the right to copy the competition films. The applicants are required to sign a statement that allows the organizers to screen either the whole or parts of the film on TV and at public special shows promoting the Festival.
4. The organizer has the right to use the submitted materials for the Festival’s promotional actions. The author agrees that the information about the film will be published on the Festival’s website, in official printings and that fragments of the film will be used to make promotional, audiovisual materials about the NOFI Festival.
5. Organizers act in a good faith and are not responsible for concealment of any information that refers to the legal situation of the submitted film. In case of any claims about third parties’ rights, the participant bears responsibility of legal action and covers all its expenses.
6. The participants bear full responsibility for the data given in the application form. Giving false, illegible or incomplete personal information or lack of it results in rejection from the Festival.
7. The organizer does not bear responsibility for giving false personal information or information about the third party. Such action results in nullifying the right for the prize.
8. Submitting films is equivalent to the Participant’s statement that he/she owns unrestricted personal and financial rights to the films and that he takes whole responsibility for breaking those rights.
9. In case of any claim on the organizer by third parties, resulting from breaking the copyright or personal goods of the third parties involved in the use of the submitted materials, the Participant covers the costs and pays damages connected with the claim of those people.
10. The Participant is obliged to get acquainted with the Competition Rules and regulations
Film title in the native language
English title of film:
The director name and
surname: Telephone, home: mob:
Date of birth: Home address:
Cast Category : Professional Student Non-professional
Production Country of production
Year of production: Country: Time of duration:
System*: H264, mp4, DVD, blueray, mini-dv, DVCam,
Genre*: fiction , documentary, animation
Screen format* 4:3
Short summary of the film (Synopsis):
ATTENTION: Film produced in languages other than English must contain English subtitles.
At the festival, the film will be represented by
Date of birth:
Number of ID: Telephone/e-mail:
Please book a hotel room in Sochi, Moscow, St Petersburg, Stockholm,Los Angeles, Yerevan YES NO On:
Number of people arriving to NOFI festival: Female: Male: number of vegetarians
I hereby agree to the processing of my personal data by CANCA for the purposes of this festival. (In accordance with art.23 p. 1.p.1 of the Data Protection Act of 29.08.1997, on the “Protection of Personal Data”). This film has been made in compliance with copyrights and known to me terms and conditions of “NOFI” Intl festival of New and Original films. I hereby declare that I have read festival’s terms and conditions and I accept all its regulations. I agree to the screening of my film in the mass media and during public screenings at the festivals in Yerevan and Los Angeles.
Date and signature:
delete as appropriate
Please send by email filled registration form and 2-3 stills from film in JPEG format to email@example.com