The Movie Expo Film Festival is where you can screen your short and feature films to the world, win prizes and secure potential distribution for your projects.
Submit your film today for the chance to have your film screened at the Movie Expo Virtual Edition on March 19-20 2022.
The Movie Expo Film Festival is a branch of the Annual Movie Expo event. An industry event funded by the Government of Ontario that is held each year in March with a focus on educational & networking opportunities for creatives in Film & TV of all levels. A platform where you can ask the biggest industry names questions during our interactive panels, pitch a script or network with others at our speed networking events.
Over 25 awards are given out by the Juries at the annual virtual awards for film, screenwriting, and music along with Audience Choice Awards. Recent year’s awards included annual distribution deals on KinoKlik or iQiYi Streaming Platforms, Cash Prizes and 60 minutes pitch sessions with Industry Experts George Lee (Charmed, Animal Crackers), Marcus Englefield (Danger Close, Animal Crackers), Kevin Lewis (The Accursed), Curt Marvis (Lionsgate, QYOU), Mark Lindsay (Kill Bill, Sin City), Dennis Rice (Disney, Miramax) and Ann Carli (Will Smith Enterprises).
This is your chance to take your projects to the next level. Turn your short into a feature. Obtain distribution deals for completed projects, or earn notoriety connect with industry professionals from around the world. Experience an online event unlike any other.
Our expert panel of industry judges will select an array of films to be showcased and winners will be announced at our closing ceremony.
Winners will be awarded in the following categories:
Overall Best Feature Film and Short Film.
The Best Feature Film receives $300 cash and the best short film receives $150 cash and special recognition award at the closing ceremony along with the opportunity to pitch to our industry producers and/or distributors for additional deals.
Best of Festival Award for Best Narrative (Feature & Short), Best Animation (Short), Best Documentary (Feature & Short), Best Experimental (Short), Best Episodic Series (for web or television). These winners receive a special recognition award our closing ceremony.
Grand Jury Winners (Screenplays) - This is awarded to the overall best feature screenplay and best short screenplay. The best feature script receives $400 cash and the best short screenplay receives $200 cash and each receives a special recognition award our closing ceremony.
Audience Choice Awards (Best Feature film and Short film) – These winners are voted upon by the festival audience. Each winner receives a special recognition award our closing ceremony.
Individual merit awards include Best Director, Best Actress/Best Actor, Best Ensemble Cast, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Music/Score, Best Student Film (Short) and the annual Rising Star Award.
MOVIE EXPO FILM FESTIVAL TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR SUBMISSION OF FILMS THROUGH FILMFREEWAY.COM
I. APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The following terms and conditions (the “Terms”) govern the submission of a film (the “Film”) to the Movie Expo corporation. (“MOVIE EXPO”), through filmfreeway.com (“FilmFreeway”), for consideration for the 2022 Movie Expo Film Festival (the “Festival”). To the extent that this document is inconsistent with any other document prepared by MOVIE EXPO or anyone else, this document will take precedence. Any questions about these Terms should be directed to email@example.com.
II. SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
1. By submitting a Film to MOVIE EXPO for Festival consideration, the submitter (the “Applicant”) represents that they have (i) read, understood and agreed to the Terms, and (ii) obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers, and/or other authorized representatives or rights holders of the Film whose consent is required to submit the Film to MOVIE EXPO (the “Film Owners”).
2. Submissions fees are in Canadian dollars and are non-refundable.
3. MOVIE EXPO may disqualify or reject, but is not required to do so, any submission that it determines, in its sole and absolute discretion would not be in MOVIE EXPO’s best interest to include in the Festival, including, but not limited to, any Film that is not in compliance, in whole or in part, with these Terms, and may do so without refunding any submission or other fees paid by the Registrant or returning any materials submitted by the Registrant. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, if any person connected to the Film is involved in, or alleged to be involved in, any situation or occurrence which subjects such person to public scandal, disrepute, widespread contempt, or public ridicule, that violates MOVIE EXPO’s code of conduct, or that will tend to shock, insult or offend the community or public morals or decency or prejudice MOVIE EXPO in general, then MOVIE EXPO shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action it deems appropriate, including but not limited to excluding such person from attendance at the Festival and/or disqualifying the Film from participation in the Festival.
III. SUBMISSION CATEGORIES AND ELIGIBILITY
1. Films submitted to MOVIE EXPO for Festival consideration under these Terms must be submitted in one of the categories set out below.
2. Films that do not meet the eligibility requirements for any of the below categories should not be submitted and will not be considered by MOVIE EXPO.
3. Submission categories:
Features – Films with run times 40 minutes or longer.
Shorts – Films with run times 39 minutes or less
4. The Festival is organized into a series of programmes, which are subject to change from year to year. MOVIE EXPO may slot selected films into programmes at its sole and absolute discretion. More information about these programmes is available at movie-expo.com.
5. A Film will not be eligible for consideration and should not be submitted if:
a. the Film was previously submitted to MOVIE EXPO for Festival consideration (please note: we will accept a “new cut” of a film that was previously submitted to MOVIE EXPO, provided that the Film still meets our eligibility requirements. We define a “new cut” as a Film that has undergone substantial changes including, but not limited to: editing, reshoots, or a new run time. Please submit a brief statement with your submission with reference to the new cut); or
b. the Film has been for sale on DVD/Blu-ray/VOD; or
c. the Film:
(i) had theatrical releases, or
(ii) has aired on television, or
(iii) has been available on a public streaming platform in North America; or
d. the Film has been publicly posted or exhibited online in North America; or
e. the Film will have, a public presentation in North America and therefore will have a premiere status by March 19, 2022.
MOVIE EXPO reserves the right to rule, in its sole discretion, on cases and situations not foreseen by these Terms.
6. All Films must be submitted as online screeners via FilmFreeway (as described below).
7. All selected films must supply MOVIE EXPO with an exhibition copy (“Exhibition Copy” or “Exhibition Copies”) of the Film by March 18, 2022, in a Online Screening Format , as specified by MOVIE EXPO upon invitation. Note that delivery requirements are different based on format.
a. Online Screening Format: applicable to Online Screening Copies of all feature films, short films in short programmes, and episodic shorts on our online screening platform.
b. All non-English language films will be required to provide content with English subtitles.
IV. PROCESS FOR SUBMISSION
1. All Films submitted under these Terms must be submitted in accordance with the procedure outlined herein. MOVIE EXPO may, but is not required to, disqualify or reject any Film that is not submitted in this way.
2. To submit a Film for Festival consideration, an Applicant must: (a) complete the registration process at FilmFreeway and pay the required fee as outlined in article V.(2) below, and (b) provide to MOVIE EXPO an online screener via FilmFreeway for review by MOVIE EXPO programming staff. MOVIE EXPO does not accept submissions in any other manner or format, including: DVDs, content burned to Read/Write (RW) discs, Blu-ray discs, external online links, downloadable files, or trailers.
3. Applicants should test their online screeners thoroughly before submitting them, and ensure their online screener remains active on FilmFreeway until March 20, 2022. The Applicant has sole responsibility for ensuring that the submitted online screener plays in its entirety. The screener must contain English subtitles if the original language is not English. If MOVIE EXPO is unable to view the online screener, MOVIE EXPO may attempt, but is under no obligation, to contact the Applicant in order to obtain a replacement online screener.
4. MOVIE EXPO will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film. Only one version of the Film may be submitted. If multiple versions are submitted, MOVIE EXPO can not guarantee the newest version will be reviewed and may only view the version that was received first.
5. Screeners will not be returned.
6. MOVIE EXPO is under no obligation to contact the Submitting Party should the Applicant not have adhered to the rules, set out in Articles I and IV herein. Submission fees are non-refundable.
V. SUBMISSION DEADLINES AND FEES
1. In order to be eligible for consideration, submission screeners must be submitted online via FilmFreeway, with a FilmFreeway registration completed and all fees paid, by the deadlines outlined below.
2. Submission fees and deadlines for 2022 are as follows:
NOTE: All fees are denoted in Canadian dollars.
Early-bird submission deadline & fee (CAD) – January 17, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
Features - $40.00
Shorts - $35.00
Standard submission deadline & fee (CAD) – February 7, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
Features - $50.00
Shorts - $45.00
Standard submission deadline & fee (CAD) - Feb 28, 2022 (11:59 pm EDT)
Features - $70.00
Shorts - $65.00
3. MOVIE EXPO may accept late submissions in its sole and absolute discretion, but an additional submission fee may apply (see V.(2)).
4. MOVIE EXPO may revise submission deadlines in its sole and absolute discretion at any time.
5. Submissions fees are non-refundable.
1. MOVIE EXPO will consider for inclusion in the Festival all eligible films that have been submitted by the above deadline and in accordance with these Terms. MOVIE EXPO reserves the right to consider for inclusion in the Festival, and include in the Festival, films received at any time and through any means, channel, or process, including means, channels, or processes other than those outlined in these Terms. Nothing in these Terms or otherwise requires MOVIE EXPO to select for Festival inclusion any of the Films submitted through the process outlined in these Terms.
2. All selection decisions are at the sole and absolute discretion of MOVIE EXPO, and are final and unreviewable. MOVIE EXPO is not required to provide any feedback, comments, or reasons, or any other information, regarding the selection or non-selection of any submitted Film or the process by which Films are or have been selected. MOVIE EXPO is not responsible or liable for its selection decisions; for the contents of any internal comments or feedback regarding the Film that are or may be obtained from the Applicant or anyone else; for any communications by any representative of MOVIE EXPO relating to the Film or the Festival selection process; for the manner in which the Film shall be, is, or was considered and reviewed; or for any failure on the part of the Festival to provide the Applicant or anyone else with information concerning MOVIE EXPO’s consideration and/or review of the Film.
3. MOVIE EXPO will notify by March 14, 2022, all Applicants who have been selected to participate in the Festival. All Applicants who are not selected to participate in the Festival will be contacted by email on or around March 14, 2022. MOVIE EXPO will contact Applicants using the contact information provided in the FilmFreeway registration form. Applicants are responsible for providing correct and functional contact information. MOVIE EXPO is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact Applicants using the contact information provided.
VII. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, LEGAL CLAIMS, AND INDEMNITIES
1. By submitting the film to MOVIE EXPO, the Applicant and Film Owners (the “Submitting Parties”) hereby warrant and represent that: (i) the Film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the Submitting Parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trademark, sound recording, musical composition, or other work in the Film; (ii) the Film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person; (iii) the Film is not the subject of litigation or any dispute that may give rise to litigation; (iv) there are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this Film submission, that would or could have the effect of impairing the Submitting Parties’ ability to provide the Film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these Terms; and (v) the Submitting Parties have the full right, power, and authority to submit the Film to MOVIE EXPO for Festival consideration, and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the FilmFreeway registration form, including, without limitation, the right to screen the Film in Festival venues and/or digitally on MOVIE EXPO’s online screening platform, and there is no prior obligation or impediment which would in any way impair or restrict the Submitting Parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these Terms.
2. The Submitting Parties agree to indemnify and hold harmless MOVIE EXPO, its licensees, successors, and assigns, and its and their members, officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, associates, volunteers, and affiliates (each, a “Releasee”), from any claim, suit, action, or other proceeding brought against a Releasee and from any losses, costs, or damages, including the Releasee’s full legal fees and costs, which it may have suffered or incurred or may suffer or incur, directly or indirectly based on, in connection with, or arising from the use and exhibition of the Film submitted by the Applicant, including, without limitation, the decision to exhibit or not exhibit the Film, which decision shall be in MOVIE EXPO’s sole and absolute discretion, or the breach or alleged breach of any representation, warranty, or other agreement made by the Applicant in these Terms, or in the Applicant’s FilmFreeway registration form.
3. MOVIE EXPO takes reasonable anti-piracy and security precautions. While in MOVIE EXPO’s possession, all Films are securely stored and regularly inventoried. Access to Films is limited to MOVIE EXPO staff who require access in order to screen and consider submissions. No duplication and loaning of Films is permitted. Digital Screenings made available on MOVIE EXPO’s online screening platform will possess, at minimum, (i) access restrictions to accredited delegates and ticket purchasers, (ii) restrictions on concurrent streaming across devices. By submitting a Film to MOVIE EXPO, the Submitting Parties hereby release MOVIE EXPO from any and all liability in the event of theft, unauthorized access or copying, or any breach of copyright of the Film while it is in MOVIE EXPO’s possession or on MOVIE EXPO’s online screening platform.
VIII. SAFETY AND RESPECT
1. A cornerstone of MOVIE EXPO’s belief system is that everyone has the right to respect, as well as fair and equitable treatment from others. MOVIE EXPO does not tolerate violence, mistreatment, or harassment — verbal, physical, sexual, or otherwise — towards staff, Volunteers, delegates, audience members, attendees at any of our festivals, conferences, or events or in any correspondence with staff, including during the submission process. Our staff and Volunteers are committed to ensuring the best possible experience for all of our attendees. If the safety of our guests is in question, we will take immediate steps to ensure the matter is addressed.
IX. COVID-19 HEALTH AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
1. Due to the ongoing pandemic and its changing landscape, the nature of the 2022 Movie Expo has not yet been determined. We are exploring all options and anticipate a hybrid of digital and physical screenings. The scale of the Festival may affect the number of films officially selected.
MOVIE EXPO is working closely with the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto, and public health officials on the safe execution of the Festival, our number one priority being the health and well-being of both Festival filmgoers and the residents of the entire community. MOVIE EXPO will continue to monitor and communicate to our filmmaking community all developments on the pandemic, and will adhere to the guidelines and recommendations made by government health officials. Guests invited to the Festival for any in-person events understand that they must follow the health and safety instructions directed by the government and facilitated by MOVIE EXPO, and must disclose if they have been experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19, or have tested positive for COVID-19, for the safety of all MOVIE EXPO guests, staff, and patrons. MOVIE EXPO may revise its COVID-19 guidelines and policies at any time in accordance with the recommendations of public health officials and other experts in this field. MOVIE EXPO reserves the right to deny admission to any person who fails to adhere to the policies in place at the time of the Festival. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. Guests voluntarily assume all risks related to the exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold MOVIE EXPO liable for any illness that may result.
1. MOVIE EXPO reserves the right to rule, in its sole and absolute discretion, on cases and situations not foreseen by these Terms.