Join #MojoAwards Workshop Sept. 24 &25
WORKSHOP: Meet others in the #Mojo community, join a Masterclasses and Conference sessions, enjoy a private Film Screening, Round Table Discussions, Live networking.
This event is designed to serve journalism educators and their students to prepare their documentary film entries for next edition of the competition.
CALL FOR ENTRIES
OPENS OCTOBER 1
Mobile Journalism Awards recognizes excellence in non-fiction storytelling produced with smartphones, mobile and pocket cameras.
The deadlines and categories and criteria are listed in the right hand column of this page.
Follow #MojoAwards on Twitter for updates.
The judges for the competition include:
Marta Machado, Thomson Reuters Foundation, London
Marcela Kunova, Journalism Co UK
Kim Fox, The American University Cairo
Jacques Rosselin, EFJ School of New Journalism, Paris
Naila Hamdy, The American University Cairo
- E.W Scripps School of Journalism & School of Film, Ohio University
- Journalism co.uk
- The American University Cairo, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication and AUC Tahrir Square Cultural Campus
- EFJ School of New Journalism
- Latin American Congress of Mobile Journalism
- Visual Editors, Non-profit
The innovation prize rewards an innovation project around mobile journalism. You need to explain your Innovation project in a short video. You can also include supporting documents that detail the effort and outcomes.
Please read the criteria about what type of work is is to be entered in each category.
Documentary films or news stories entered in the innovation category will be immediately disqualified by the screeners and will not be seen by the jury.
More than $10,000 in prizes has been donated by sponsors: Luma-touch, Røde, Shoulderpod, IK Multimedia, Moondog Labs, Shure, Filmocracy, and the Smart Film School.
• The winner of the #FinishedOnMobile category will be awarded a iPad Pro 12.9″ with keyboard from Luma-Touch – makers of the Lumatouch video editing app.
• Category winners will each receive a Shoulderpod G2 mobile phone grip.
• Mojo filmmakers whose films have been selected to be screened at the live event will win $500 gift certificates from the Smart Film School.
• Semi-finalist nominees (also known as the runner up winner) in each category will be awarded prizes from a pool of mobile gear do nated by sponsors. Prize pool includes Røde Wireless Go mics, Shure MV-88+ mics, and IK Multimedia iRig Pre-2 audio kits.
Note: Category winners will receive both the category winner prize and the selected/finalist prizes, but not also the semi-finalist prize.
Proceeds from this event support the Visual Editors, NFP - A public charity that provides visual journalism educational resources.
EARLY BIRD PRIZE DRAWINGS
The following early-bird entrants won $200 gift certificates from Moondog Labs in the current edition of the #MojoAwards:
- Philip Bromwell
- Michael Conway
- Marcelo Lagreze
Congrats to all who enter!
* All films must include English subtitles (unless the spoken language is English) .
Read each category rules before submitting your work.
Please be sure to enter your MOJO films either in either the Best Documentary or Finished on Mobile categories.
NOTE: Documentary Films or MOJO news reports submitted in the Innovation category will be disqualified. Read the rules for the innovation category.
- Your work may include shots made with action cams or drones up to a maximum 30% of the total duration of the project.
- Entries may be recorded with any combination of smartphone, mobile and pocket cameras.
Submitted your entries before the final deadline. No exceptions.
- You may submit more than one project and your work may be entered in more than one category.
- Judges will not move entries between categories.
- All submissions must be original and not include any intellectual property protected by outside copyrights.
- If music is used, it must be 'rights-cleared,' public domain, creative commons, or original compositions. Verification may be requested by the jury.
- Entrants consent to the use of their films or videos for live screenings that are part of this competition.
- Entrants further consent to allow entries to be curated and shared for educational purposes.
All entrants must attest that they are submitting work produced with mobile gear and apps. Judges can choose to disqualify entries that cannot be verified.