CALL FOR ENTRIES: Mobile Journalism Awards
This competition recognizes excellence in non-fiction visual storytelling produced by journalists with smartphones.
- Winners will be showcased in a series of global screening events.
Why is this important?
- Journalism is a cornerstone of free speech and a strong defender of democratic ideals.
Video is a persuasive medium to help convey those ideals and the smartphone video revolution is empowering non-fiction storytellers to reach new audiences on the screens they watch. Both small and large.
Finding new audiences
- Mobile journalism documentaries are winning top prizes at film festivals from L.A. to Berlin and are being screened to live audiences in cinemas as a result.
Mobile journalists now have a film competition to call their own.
What makes these awards special?
- The Mobile Journalism Awards is the space where mobile journalists can share their best work and be recognized for it.
It does not matter if you are an independent filmmaker, student journalist or on the payroll of a public broadcaster.
Live screenings of winning entries will premiere at the Athena Cinema in Athens Ohio in September and then in Paris, Berlin, Hong Kong and possibly more cinemas as more journalism groups join the project.
What are you waiting for?
- Enter now and get your work seen!
- Best Documentary
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Photography
- Best Audio Story
- Best News Story
- Best Social Media Story
- Best Travel Story
- Best Fashion Story
- Best Nature Story
- Best Food Story
- Best Editing
- You may submit more than one project and it also may be entered in more than one category.
- Judges will not move entries between categories.
- Winners will be notified at each stage of the judging process: From "Official Selection" to "Award Winner."
- Winners will be recognized in live screening events and in the online Winners Circle for each edition of the competition. Winners will receive laurels and finalists will receive certificates.
- Winning work will be showcased at international journalism festivals.
(More venues and screening dates will be added to this page as they become available.)
* All films must include English subtitles (unless the spoken language is English)
* Work produced between Jan. 1, 2018 through Dec. 31, 2018 is eligible.
- Entries must be shot primarily with a smartphone.
- Films may include shots made with action cams or drones up to a maximum 25% of the total duration of the project.
- The jury for each edition of the awards will be selected from a pool of international mobile journalism experts.
- All submissions must be original and not include any intellectual property protected by outside copyrights.
- If music is used, it must be 'rights-cleared,' public domain, creative commons, or original compositions. Verification may be requested by the jury.
- Entrants consent to the use of their films or videos for live screenings in film festivals and at journalism events.
Entrants further consent to allow winning work to be curated, publicized by the organizers and be used for educational purposes.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening (including, but not limited to, multiple events at international locations).
The entrant understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless the organizers from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.