The 2023 MUD AND SALTWATER SHORT FILM FEST is an opportunity to spread your creative filmmaking wings and celebrate the environmental, cultural and heritage values of Roebuck Bay (6 categories), Broome and the Kimberley region.
The Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest is timed to coincide with World Environment Day (early June 2023), with the aim of building worldwide awareness of the natural and cultural values of Roebuck Bay (international Ramsar site), Broome and the Kimberley region.
The Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest invites you to show your connection to Roebuck Bay, Broome and the Kimberley region, touching on the unique lifestyle and natural, cultural and heritage values.
Films entries can be from 1 to 5 minutes in duration (including credits) and must have subject matter that relates to the natural, cultural and heritage values of Roebuck Bay, Broome or the wider Kimberley Region of Western Australia.
The screening of the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest will be at the Mangrove Hotel on Carnarvon Street in Broome on Friday June 2nd 2023 (one night only).
Be a part of the popular and iconic Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, with entries open from January 13, 2023.
ROEBUCK BAY, WA - 6 Categories - Film entries limit of 5 minutes including credits
About Roebuck Bay's natural, cultural or heritage values
*PRIZE - BEST DRAMA actors, lights, camera…action
*PRIZE - BEST DOCUMENTARY non-fiction on some aspect of reality
*PRIZE - BEST SCIENCE SHORT with a science edge
*PRIZE - BEST COMEDY can your film make someone laugh?
*PRIZE - BEST ANIMATION from claymation to computer generated imagery
*PRIZE - BEST MUSIC SHORT integrating song and imagery
BROOME, WA - Film entries limit of 5 minutes including credits
About Broome's natural, cultural or heritage values (any genre)
*PRIZE - BEST FILM ABOUT BROOME WA
KIMBERLEY CALLING, WA - Film entries limit of 5 minutes including credits
About the Kimberley's natural, cultural or heritage values (any genre)
*PRIZE - BEST FILM ABOUT KIMBERLEY WA
*PRIZE - BEST IN FEST
*PRIZE - BEST IN FEST BY AN EMERGING FILMMAKER
*PRIZE - BEST WORLD ENVIROMENT DAY FILM
Encourages worldwide awareness of the exceptional biodiversity of Roebuck Bay WA, and or Broome WA, and or Kimberley WA and action for protection of the environment.
*PRIZE - BEST FEATURE FILM - A limit of 10 minutes including credits
Enter a film about any of the above topics.
Please note entries are limited in this category. If you wish to submit a Feature of up to 10 minutes in length, including credits, please email email@example.com to register interest and to check whether spots are available.
*PRIZE - PEOPLE'S CHOICE
To enter your Film in the 2023 Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, which is run by the Roebuck Bay Working Group Inc (RBWG), you (the Producer) must:
- Submit a Film that is related in subject matter to the natural, cultural or heritage values in the Categories of 'Roebuck Bay' (has six sub-categories), 'Broome' (subject matter relating to Broome in WA) or 'Kimberley Calling' (subject matter relating to wider Kimberley region in WA). Films entries that don't have Roebuck Bay, Broome or Kimberley WA as their subject matter WILL NOT be considered.
-Submit a Film that has been made within the last 12 months.
Please get in touch should you have any queries.
- Complete your film entry on www.filmfreeway.com/festival/MUDandSALT website and upload the film by May 7th, 2023.
- By submitting your Film to FilmFreeway, the Producer has entered the Film and accepts the Rules & Terms set out below.
2. Judging of Films
Films will be chosen as finalists for viewing and judging in the 2023 Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest in Broome.
Shortlisted Films are judged prior to the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest by four judges chosen by the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest Director and Producer. The judges are asked to use their own judgement and seek creativity, talent, sound directing, writing, producing and meeting of category requirements adequately.
3. Producer’s Representations and Warranties
The Producer hereby represents & warrants to Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest that:
- All the performers in the Film have consented in writing (have signed talent request forms) to the use of their performances in the Film entered. * Please keep a copy of signed talent forms should the Festival Director/Producer request to see signed form/s.
Indigenous cultural and intellectual property (ICIP) rights
- The Producer and Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest acknowledge the existence of ICIP Rights of the Indigenous participants in the Film. The Producer agrees and undertakes to endeavour to ensure that the ICIP Rights of Indigenous participants are respected and upheld in the production and all aspects of distribution of the Film.
In the event that The Producer wishes to include ICIP Rights material in the Film, The Producer shall take responsibility to obtain a non-exclusive license from the ICIP Rights holder/s or custodian/s to include such ICIP Rights materials in the Film.
- The Producer has the sole and full right and authority to accept the Rules & Terms and enter into this agreement and grant the rights in the agreement;
- The Film complies with the Rules & Terms;
The Producer grants permission for the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest to utilise Film for broadcasting, promotion and ticket and DVD / Flash Drive sales, to support the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest into the future;
- The Producer has permission to reproduce and exploit all third party materials (and, or the results and proceeds of all third party services) contained in the Film or upon which the Film is based;
- The Producer has permission or copyright in the sound recordings comprising the soundtrack of the Film and music, lyrics reproduced;
- The Producer has from each contributor for the Film, a written release to use the results and proceeds of the contributor’s services, without limiting the right to edit, alter and/or reproduce the results and proceeds of the contributor by The Producer or Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, assignees and licensees;
- The Producer will pay cost for Film entry in the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest;
- All details submitted on the entry form by The Producer are true and correct;
- All payments to contributors in connection with the Film have been paid;
- No part of the Film is, or will be, actionable for defamation or violate any right of privacy or publicity of any person.
4. General License
The custodianship of Films by the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest lasts for the duration of the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, which can include rescreening events, use of the film for advertising and securing funding from ticket sales and DVD and Flash Drive sales to support the running of the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest into the future. Films may also be uploaded to the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest website, and PANDORA, Australia’s Web Archive set up by the National Library of Australia in 1996 to enable archiving and access to online Australian publications that they consider have national significance.
5. Dubbing/Subtitling/Editing *
The Producer acknowledges that Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, its assignees and licensees, shall have the right to dub and or subtitle and cut and or edit the Film in any way that Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest deems necessary, including, without limitation, for the purpose of television broadcast or line distribution, packaging the Film with other Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest films, to comply with broadcasting statutory censorship practices, standards or regulations or as otherwise may be required by law in any applicable country where the Film may be exhibited.
Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, may, in its sole discretion, disqualify a Film from the Film Fest if there is a reason to believe a Film does not, for any reason, comply with the Rules & Terms.
The Producer agrees to indemnify Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest and hold them harmless from any damages, liabilities, losses, costs, expenses, obligations or claims arising out of the breach of the Producer’s agreements, obligations, presentations and warranties under this Agreement.
8. Additional Documents
The Producer hereby agrees to supply any additional documents (e.g. copyright for music, actors release etc...) if Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, requests.