The 2021 MUD AND SALTWATER SHORT FILM FEST is an opportunity to spread your creative filmmaking wings and celebrate the environmental, cultural and heritage values of Roebuck Bay (6 categories), Broome and the Kimberley region.
With Saturday June 5th World Environment Day, the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest aims to build worldwide awareness of the natural and cultural values of Roebuck Bay (international Ramsar listing), Broome and the Kimberley region, and action for protection of environmental biodiversity.
What is especially unique about the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, is the opportunity to show your connection to the country, unique lifestyle and natural, cultural and heritage values of Roebuck Bay, Broome and the Kimberley region.
Films entries can be from 1 to 5 minutes in duration (including credits) and must have subject matter that relates to the natural, cultural and heritage values of Roebuck Bay, Broome or the wider Kimberley Region of Western Australia.
Screenings of the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Festival will be at Sun Pictures in Chinatown, Broome, on June 4 and 5th, 2021.
Be a part of the popular and iconic Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, with entries open on December 1, 2020.
*Films can be from 1 minute to 5 minutes in length including credits.
ROEBUCK BAY, WESTERN AUSTRALIA, 6 Categories
*About Roebuck Bay's natural, cultural or heritage values
BEST DRAMA actors, lights, camera…action
BEST DOCUMENTARY non-fiction on some aspect of reality
BEST SCIENCE SHORT with a science edge
BEST COMEDY can your film make someone laugh?
BEST ANIMATION from claymation to computer generated imagery
BEST MUSIC SHORT integrating song and imagery
BROOME, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
*About Broome's natural, cultural or heritage values (any genre)
BEST FILM ABOUT BROOME
KIMBERLEY CALLING, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
*About the Kimberley's natural, cultural or heritage values (any genre)
BEST FILM ABOUT THE KIMBERLEY
BEST IN FEST
BEST IN FEST BY AN EMERGING FILMMAKER
BEST WORLD ENVIROMENT DAY FILM
Encourages worldwide awareness of the exceptional biodiversity of Roebuck Bay, and or Broome, and or the Kimberley, and action for protection of the environment.
FEATURE - up to 10 minutes
Enter a film about any of the above topics.
Please note entries are limited to THREE films only for this category. If you want to submit a Feature film of up to 10 minutes in length, please email email@example.com to register your interest and to check whether spots are still available.
To enter your Film in the 2021 Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, which is run by the Roebuck Bay Working Group Inc (RBWG), you (the Producer) must:
- Submit a Film that is related in subject matter to the natural, cultural or heritage values in the Categories of 'Roebuck Bay' (has six sub-categories), 'Broome' (subject matter relating to Broome in WA) or 'Kimberley Calling' (subject matter relating to wider Kimberley region in WA). Films entries that don't have Roebuck Bay, Broome or Kimberley WA as their subject matter WILL NOT be considered.
-Submit a Film that has been made within the last 12 months (since the last Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest).
**Please note, due to COVID 19, for this year's Mud and Saltwater Short Film fest 2021, WE ACCEPT films that have been made after September 2019.
Please get in touch should you have any feedback or queries.
- Complete your film entry on www.filmfreeway.com/festival/MUDandSALT website and upload the film by April 1, 2021.
- By submitting your Film to FilmFreeway, the Producer has entered the Film and accepts the Rules & Terms set out below.
2. Judging of Films
Films will be chosen as finalists for viewing and judging in the 2021 Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest in Broome.
Shortlisted Films are judged prior to the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest by four judges chosen by the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest Director and Producer. The judges are asked to use their own judgement and seek creativity, talent, sound directing, writing, producing and meeting of category requirements adequately.
3. Producer’s Representations and Warranties
The Producer hereby represents & warrants to Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest that:
- All the performers in the Film have consented in writing (have signed talent request forms) to the use of their performances in the Film entered. * Please keep a copy of signed talent forms should the Festival Director/Producer request to see signed form/s.
Indigenous cultural and intellectual property (ICIP) rights
- The Producer and Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest acknowledge the existence of ICIP Rights of the Indigenous participants in the Film. The Producer agrees and undertakes to endeavour to ensure that the ICIP Rights of Indigenous participants are respected and upheld in the production and all aspects of distribution of the Film.
In the event that The Producer wishes to include ICIP Rights material in the Film, The Producer shall take responsibility to obtain a non-exclusive license from the ICIP Rights holder/s or custodian/s to include such ICIP Rights materials in the Film.
- The Producer has the sole and full right and authority to accept the Rules & Terms and enter into this agreement and grant the rights in the agreement;
- The Film complies with the Rules & Terms;
The Producer grants permission for the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest to utilise Film for broadcasting, promotion and ticket and DVD / Flash Drive sales, to support the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest into the future;
- The Producer has permission to reproduce and exploit all third party materials (and, or the results and proceeds of all third party services) contained in the Film or upon which the Film is based;
- The Producer has permission or copyright in the sound recordings comprising the soundtrack of the Film and music, lyrics reproduced;
- The Producer has from each contributor for the Film, a written release to use the results and proceeds of the contributor’s services, without limiting the right to edit, alter and/or reproduce the results and proceeds of the contributor by The Producer or Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, assignees and licensees;
- The Producer will pay cost for Film entry in the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest;
- All details submitted on the entry form by The Producer are true and correct;
- All payments to contributors in connection with the Film have been paid;
- No part of the Film is, or will be, actionable for defamation or violate any right of privacy or publicity of any person.
4. General License
The custodianship of Films by the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest lasts for the duration of the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, which can include rescreening events, use of the film for advertising and securing funding from ticket sales and DVD and Flash Drive sales to support the running of the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest into the future. Films may also be uploaded to the Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest website, and PANDORA, Australia’s Web Archive set up by the National Library of Australia in 1996 to enable archiving and access to online Australian publications that they consider have national significance.
5. Dubbing/Subtitling/Editing *
The Producer acknowledges that Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, its assignees and licensees, shall have the right to dub and or subtitle and cut and or edit the Film in any way that Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest deems necessary, including, without limitation, for the purpose of television broadcast or line distribution, packaging the Film with other Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest films, to comply with broadcasting statutory censorship practices, standards or regulations or as otherwise may be required by law in any applicable country where the Film may be exhibited.
Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, may, in its sole discretion, disqualify a Film from the Film Fest if there is a reason to believe a Film does not, for any reason, comply with the Rules & Terms.
The Producer agrees to indemnify Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest and hold them harmless from any damages, liabilities, losses, costs, expenses, obligations or claims arising out of the breach of the Producer’s agreements, obligations, presentations and warranties under this Agreement.
8. Additional Documents
The Producer hereby agrees to supply any additional documents (e.g. copyright for music, actors release etc...) if Mud and Saltwater Short Film Fest, requests.