“MASTER OF ART” FILM FESTIVAL 2019
Master of Art Film Festival is unique cultural event and the only international film festival for Documentaries on Art in Eastern Europe. It takes place in three cities in Bulgaria – Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna.
The festival focuses on different artistic approaches on Art.
Its program is dedicated to Documentary cinema that represents the artistic vision both on history of Art, Contemporary Art forms and to celebrate the multicultural diversity in our time.
Our goal is to show documentaries that manifest the talents and the creative process in the following categories: Architecture and Design, Art and Children, Contemporary art, Culinary art, Fine Art and Photography, Literature, Music and Dance, Theatre and Cinema.
Documentaries produced and released after January 1, 2017 are eligible to the competition of Master of Art Film Festival. The festival pays attention also on modern tendencies in Video Art and Advertising and in The Art in video Games.
The mission of Master of Art Film Festival is to create an alternative platform to the mass culture. We want to create an opportunity and to contribute a dialogue and cooperation between artists. The festival is the biggest forum in Eastern Europe for young documentary filmmakers, tempted to tell inspiring stories about the Art.
Master of Art Film Festival is organized by Spotlight Production Company, The National Palace of Culture and ‘Master of Art’ Foundation and with the financial support of Program “Culture” of Municipality of Sofia, and America for Bulgaria Foundation.
The festival funds are raised by participation fees, financial subsidies, donations, sponsorship and advertising.
The fourth edition of the festival will take place from 5 to 25 April 2019 in Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna.
The OFFICIAL SELECTION laurel is given to all films selected in the following categories:
“OFFICIAL SELECTION – COMPETITION” laurel
COMPETITION CATEGORIES – DOCUMENTARIES
I. ARCHITECTURE and DESIGN - documentaries for architects, past and present architectural achievements, historic buildings, designers and their work.
II. ART and CHILDREN – documentaries on the connection between art and children.
III. CONTEMPORARY ART, INSTALLATION ART, PROTEST ART - documentaries about contemporary art, art installations and protest art.
IV. CULINARY ART - documentaries on the art of preparation, cooking and serving food.
V. FINE ART and PHOTOGRAPHY - documentaries about the Fine Art and The Photography from different eras, galleries and exhibitions.
VI. LITERATURE - documentaries about writers, poets, and/ or their works.
VII. MUSIC and DANCE - documentaries about music, composers and musicians - opera, classics, folk, jazz, pop and rock; dancers and choreographers - ballet, folk, traditional and contemporary dance, theater and documentary theater, acting challenges on stage.
VIII. THEATRE and CINEMA - documentaries about theatre, acting challenges on stage; notable filmmakers and actors.
COMPETITION CATEGORY – VIDEO ART
(This category has a separate Award and the submitted videos are not competing with the documentaries and video games in the other categories.)
IX. VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING – video art, experimental videos, art advertisings and Advertisment.
COMPETITION CATEGORY – VIDEO GAMES
(This category has a separate Award and the submitted games are not competing with the documentaries and videos in the other categories.)
X. ART in the VIDEO GAMES - video games for any age.
“OFFICIAL SELECTION – OUT of COMPETITION” laurel
OUT of COMETITION CATEGORIES
XI. PANORAMA “AMERICA FOR BULGARIA” - this category includes exceptional documentaries on art regardless of their date of production.
XII. HORIZONS - Documentaries that are highly appreciated by the preselecting committee.
AWARDS - DOCUMENTARY
"Master of Art" Award - Best Documentary of the festival
"Master of Bulgarian Art Doc" / "America for Bulgaria Award"- Best Bulgarian Documentary on Art bestow by Foundation “America for Bulgaria”
“Master of Art Debut” – Award for best Debut Feature Documentary on Art
"Master of Short Art" – Award for Best Short Documentary on Art Documentary
Best Documentary in ARCHITECTURE and DESIGN
Best Documentary in ART FOR CHILDREN
Best Documentary in CULINARY ART
Best Documentary in CONTEMPORARY ART, INSTALLATION ART, PROTEST ART
Best Documentary in FINE ART and PHOTOGRAPHY
Best Documentary in LITERATURE
Best Documentary in MUSIC and DANCE
Best Documentary in THEATER and CINEMA
AWARD – VIDEO ART
"Master of Video Art" - Best Art Video
AWARDS - VIDEO GAMES and VR
"Master of Art in Video Games" Award - Best Art Concept in Video Games
Best Gameplay (AAA Games)
Best Gameplay (Indie Games)
Best Gameplay (VR)
Best Storytelling (AAA Games)
Best Storytelling (Indie Games)
Best Storytelling (VR)
Best Visuals (AAA Games)
Best Visuals (Indie Games)
Best Visuals (VR)
TERMS & CONDITIONS
• The festival is open to creators of television and independent documentaries, video games, video art and art advertising from all over the world
• Only films produced / released after January 1, 2017 could be selected for the competition.
• All films submitting to the festival should not be presented in cinemas or broadcast on Bulgarian television and / or distributed on DVD on the territory of Bulgaria. No restrictions for screenings in other countries.
• Bulgarian documentaries submitting the festival must have not been submitted to any previous edition of "Master of Art" Film Festival. No restrictions for screening / broadcasting in Bulgaria or other countries.
• The Festival sets an international jury of at least five members.
• The Festival jury will select the winners.
• Films in other languages rather than English (incl. those in Bulgarian) must be subtitled in English.
The submission should be made only through the following festival platforms: FilmFreeway
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – Documentaries.
CALL FOR ENTRIES – May 21, 2018
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2018 – 18 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2018 – 24 $
LATE DEADLINE – December 31, 2018 – 30 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – January 25, 2019 – 36 $
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING and ART in VIDEO GAMES.
CALL FOR ENTRIES – June 3, 2018
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2018 – 10 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2018 – 15 $
LATE DEADLINE – December 31, 2018 – 20 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – January 25, 2019 – 25 $
The selected documentaries, art videos and video games will be notified on January 31, 2019.
OFFICIAL SELECTION and SCREENINGS
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a file with a time coded dialogue list/transcript of the English text/subtitles. The subtitled in English films must provide as well, in separate file the text subtitles and the transcript of the film in the original language.
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a short synopsis, 2-3 still photos and a .pdf file with the artwork / poster (if any).
• The selected films will be translated and subtitled in Bulgarian by the festival.
• The screening copies of the selected films must be provided in one of the following formats: BluRay/DCP/H264/APPLE PRORES FILE/.mp4
• The screening copies must be delivered to the festival before March 1, 2019.
• All postal expenses (if using mail to send BlueRay Disc or Hard drive with the screening copy) are paid by Applicant/Producer/Distributor.
• MofA shall assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any original copy of the film.
• Organizers are obliged to show the films as a part of 2019 “Master of Art” Film Festival screenings.