The London Surf / Film Festival is the UK’s largest celebration of the cream of contemporary surf culture. Founded in 2011, this annual showcase brings to these shores the very best surf films from around the globe – a hand picked line up of must-see movies to inspire, excite & entertain while redefining the parameters of possibility.
Surfing and surf culture are wide open to interpretation so we welcome film entries that explore all aspects and angles through documentary to animation and anything in between.
While the main festival is a showcase for international filmmaking The Shorties short film contest is a strand open exclusively to filmmakers from, or based in Britain and Ireland with entries of up to 5 minutes in length. Submissions for The Shorties are open exclusively via londonsurffilmfestival.com.
Alongside a line up of premieres, award winning features and underground hits, LS/FF curates a packed programme of happenings around the festival including the ever popular ‘Audiences With’ – insight from surfing's most inspiring heroes and icons, from both sides of the lens. Set against a backdrop of art, talks, music, gallery shows, workshops, community and more this saline hit of inspiration is the essential cultural happening for anyone of a salt water persuasion.
For many of the films we showcase at London Surf / Film Festival, it will be the only chance you’ll get to watch them as they were intended to be enjoyed – on the big screen, in surround sound, accompanied by a packed crowd of likeminded individuals. Surf movie releases have always been community happenings – the original “social media” experience and that is exactly what the LS/FF is all about.
Now in its 11th year, we’ve grown the event organically, working with some of the most exciting surf filmmakers from across the globe. Since 2011, we’ve been delighted to premiere some 240 film presented by the most exciting & unexpected names in surf & culture inc. 7x world champion Stephanie Gilmore, icon Rob Machado, big wave pioneers Paige Alms & Albee Layer, chargers Torrey Meister, Chippa Wilson & Dion Agius, explorers like Kepa Acero, Keith Malloy surf creatives including Lee Ann Curren, Alex Knost plus leading filmmakers, musicians, artists, photographers, writers & the most relevant names in surf culture.
London Surf / Film Festival is an Approaching Lines Production.
Best Film, Best Documentary, Best Cinematography, Best International Short Film, Best Soundtrack, Spirit of the Festival, Shortie of the Year, Shorties Emerging Talent.
As part of our ongoing support for homegrown filmmaking talent, we're delighted to offer £1000 cash prize for The Shorties of the Year as well as a £500 prize to accompany the Shorties Emerging Talent Award. Submissions for this category are open exclusively via londonsurffilmfestival.com.
The London Surf / Film Festival Jury is comprised of individuals with a passion for and expertise in the realms of surfing and media. Their backgrounds cover a broad spectrum including filmmakers, producers, commissioning editors, magazine editors, photographers, journalists, actors, artists and cutting edge surfers.
A. GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSIONS
The competition is not constricted by genre; surfing and surf culture are wide open to creative interpretation and we welcome submissions that explore all aspects and angles of surfing from documentary to stop-frame to animation and anything in between. Submissions should have been completed after January 1st 2018. Short Films are under 40 minutes in length. The Shorties are open to homegrown filmmakers only (filmmakers from or based in UK / Ireland) for films up to 5 mins in length.
If accepted into the London Surf / Film Festival as an official selection, film makers a required to submit a hi res format of the film on DCP hard drive or hi-res digital download for screening purposes by September 10th 2022 plus a version for review by the Screening Panel, ie. Vimeo hosted, password protected. If you have any queries re screening formats please feel free to contact us.
PREMIERE/ DISTRIBUTION: The London Surf / Film Festival is a celebration of surfing’s best new releases. Except via prior agreement, the London Surf / Film Festival is only open to those films that have not participated in any UK Festival prior to their presentation at the London Surf / Film Festival. Filmmakers will be informed of official selection by email week commencing 29th August. Between this communication and the public screening at the LS/FF, filmmakers agree not screen selected films anywhere else in the UK.
B. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Entries will not be accepted without a signed copy of the International Feature Terms and Conditions.
2. I have the right or authorisation to submit the film to the London Surf / Film Festival and the production has no litigation or disputes regarding any part of the production, distribution or originality.
3. I hold the London Surf / Film Festival harmless from any damage to submitted media during the process of the film festival.
4. I give permission for the London Surf / Film Festival to use excerpts of the film/trailer for promotional purposes (max. 3 minutes duration).
5. I give permission for the London Surf / Film Festival to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the film for promotional purposes, online and in any print media or campaigns connected with the London Surf / Film Festival. We want to promote your film as best we can to the 2 million strong audience of surfers we have here in the UK so please send additional material such as digital press kits to the official festival contact email.
6. By submitting the production, I give permission for LS/FF to screen the production at the London Surf / Film Festival.
7. As the Submitter/Producer, I agree to take on all copyright liability in regard to submitted film in terms of music, product and other copyright licensing.
8. I give my permission for the London Surf / Film Festival to share my film and any related promotional material with London Surf / Film Festival media partners for the purpose of promoting your film and the festival unless I specify otherwise.
9. Submitting your film does not guarantee acceptance into London Surf / Film Festival. Those film makers whose productions have been selected for screening as part of the main festival programme will be informed during the week beginning August 29th. The London Surf / Film Festival can not be held responsible or liable for losses or damages resulting from failure to screen entries accepted into the festival programme.
10. Filmmakers will be informed of official selection by email during the week beginning August 29th. Please note – between this communication and the public screening at the LS/FF, the selected films cannot be shown anywhere else in the UK prior to the LS/FF screening. By screening your film as a premiere it allows us to gain as much publicity as possible for you work through our media partners and mainstream press.
11. If accepted into the London Surf / Film Festival as an official selection, film makers must submit a hi-res format of the film on DCP hard drive / hi-res digital download for screening purposes by September 10th 2022 at the latest. Filmmakers will assume shipping costs to LS/FF.
12. Films submitted on DCP hard drive only will be returned. Accompanying promotional media and materials will not be returned.
13. Non-English language films are welcomed, but must be either subtitled or dubbed.
14. If your film is accepted you will receive at least 2 complimentary tickets for the evening of the screening of your film – it’s your premiere and we want you to be as stoked as we are! More may available with enough notice.
15. Films will be judged as part of the London Surf / Film Festival in categories including, but not limited to: Best Film, Best Documentary, Best Cinematography, Best International Short, Spirit of the Festival and Viewers Choice.
16. Winners agree to participate in publicity – we want to be able to shout about your achievements! In order to do that, we need you to provide us with your press kit which includes a minimum of : 1 hi-res downloadable trailer, 1 synopsis including featured surfers and contributors, 2 x images for use in the press minimum 1920 x 1080, 1 poster / film artwork. Please bear in mind that the assets will be used to promote your film.