The poet Arthur Rimbaud forever changed the landscape of poetry. During his life he rejected living within the confines of polite society. His creative voice and private life was free from societal constraints.
Les Rimbaud du Cinema honors the words of Rimbaud:
“What can I say ? - in a terrible way I insist on worshipping free freedom.”
Our inaugural year brought us independent films from over 40 countries. Filmmakers, actors, actresses, cinema professionals and film buffs from around the world joined us in beautiful Charleville-Mezieres, France. Our special guest was Serbian filmmaker Emir Kusturica who was presented with the first "Rimbaud of Honor" for his lifetime of work in independent cinema.. Producer Alain Depardieu, director Jeremy Banster, actress Delphine Depardieu, author Serge Regourd and many others joined us. It was a truly inspiring festival -- and we hope to see you with us in 2020!
For 2020 our special focus is on the films of Africa and the African diaspora.
We invite films from all countries.
Hundreds of great films are created each year by talented and visionary filmmakers. They are made on tight budgets, without rosters of celebrity names, with no advance contracts for distribution and no guarantee of monetary reward. These are films have impressive content, not impressive labels. The trouble is: once the festival season passes most of these films fade away for lack of distribution. They become “invisible.”
We at Les Rimbaud du Cinema are independent filmmakers, too. We know the daunting challenges of funding film production and of working without a financial “safety net.” We celebrate and value the visions, the hard work, the commitment of independent filmmakers. This is why we established Les Rimbaud du Cinema.
Les Rimbaud has two goals.
First, we want your film to be visible to the world. We have assembled the “Les Rimbaud Jury” composed of professionals drawn from the world of culture and counter-culture — (literature , music, architecture, dance, sculpture, etc.) who share our love of independent cinema. Also, your film will be available for viewing by film buffs around the world who are registered members of “The Archipelago of Les Rimbaud du Cinema.” They will vote for their favorite films for the Les Rimbaud awards to be held in November 2020. This audience of viewers forms our “Public Jury.”
Second: The Les Rimbaud du Cinema awards have been established to recognize excellence in independent cinematic achievements. At the end of October 2020 the votes from both juries will be tallied. The winning films will be awarded at our gala awards ceremony on November 7, 2020 in Charleville-Mezieres, France. We hope these awards will serve not only to honor your work and commitment, but will serve as a celebration to energize the audiences of the world to seek beyond the commercial "popcorn cinema" they find in their local megaplexes.
Winning films will be screened in our partner cinemas in France and internationally.
In the event that two films are tied in the same category each one will be awarded a Rimbaud.
Two voting juries will award:
» First Choice Feature Film
» First Choice Lead Actor/Actress in a Feature Film
» First Choice Supporting Actor/Actress in in a feature film
» First Choice Screenplay
» The Coup de Coeur (Jury award)
» First Choice Short Film
» First Choice Actor/Actress in a Short Film
» First Choice Documentary
» First Choice Animated Film
» First Choice Student film
The terms "Best," "Foreign," "Female," or "Male" will not appear in any of the Rimbaud du Cinéma's choices. Why? Because a painting by Pablo Picasso is no better than a painting by Frida Kahlo, a film by Paolo Pasolini is no better than a film by Liliana Cavani and none of the works of these filmmakers or painters can be described as "foreign" "male" or "female." The rock paintings of the Lascaux caves are not French because they were produced on French territory, but are universal because they were designed by anonymous artists whose gender is unknown and whose only homeland was humanity.
The Rimbaud du Cinema proclaims the equality and universality of cinematographic works even if each one of us has the right to prefer some of them.
THE EVENT: The Rimbaud du Cinema awards ceremony will take place on Saturday, November 7, 2020 in Charleville-Mézières, France, the birthplace of Arthur Rimbaud. In addition to the Awards Ceremony there will be other events (to be announced) in the day(s) before and after the Awards Ceremony.
* WE DO NOT GRANT FEE WAIVERS. PLEASE DO NOT ASK!*
**We make an exception ONLY for filmmakers who reside in countries (eg, Iran), where international banking is impossible. If that is not your situation then PLEASE DO NOT ASK.
We are filmmakers, too. We understand financial challenges. We do not profit from this festival. We have set our fees as low as possible. Thank you for understanding.
RULES AND TERMS
To be eligible for Rimbaud du Cinéma all films must meet the following conditions:
ALL FILMS MUST BE SUBTITLED.
French language films must have ENGLISH subtitles
English language films must have FRENCH subtitles.
Films produced in languages other than French or English must have BOTH French AND English subtitles.
Because of our requirement for dual subtitles filmmakers may find it most effective to prepare a video without hard ("burned in") subtitles. Instead, multiple subtitle files can be added to one video to allow viewers to choose the language they require. This is easy to do on Vimeo. Although hard subtitles are convenient, the availability of multiple languages will always be of benefit to your film as it makes your work available to wider international audiences.
If we discover a submission is missing the required subtitles we will attempt to email the submitter for an update. The entry will be marked “incomplete” and out of consideration until the required subtitles are added. Failure to provide working subtitles by the final submission deadline will result in disqualification without refund of submission fees.
Films must have been produced with a maximum budget of 1,500,000 euros
Shorts and features: completed after January 1, 2018
Documentaries: completed after January 1, 2015
Films produced in France must hold an operating visa.
Feature films must not have been screened in more than 30 commercially operated cinemas in the country of production
Any director, producer or distributor who has registered his film to be eligible for Rimbaud du Cinéma 2020 accepts:
* that the film will be submitted to the vote of the Public and Les Rimbaud juries.
* that the film, if it receives a Rimbaud, be screened internationally in limited engagements in our partner cinemas
* that the visual of any winning film will bear the laurels: "Rimbaud du Cinéma 2020"
The Rimbaud du Cinéma team is committed to ensuring respect for the dignity of the human person and respect for animal sensitivity. As a result, any film is automatically excluded if it includes:
*a racist or discriminatory ideology based on gender identity or sexual orientation, religion, physical appearance, disability, origin, nationality, social group and any other form to the contrary to human dignity and respect for animal rights.
*the appearance of condoning or encouraging violent, illicit, antisocial, degrading or alienating behavior.
The Rimbaud du Cinéma team reserves the right to reject any film that does not comply with these principles.
Please understand that we rely on entry fees for the operation of the festival. We make no profits from your entry fees. We know the painful realities of funding. That is why we set our fees low.
Les Rimbaud du Cinema DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEES for submitted films. By submitting your project, you acknowledge that LRDC will not pay to present your work.
*We cannot grant fee waivers* (except to filmmakers in countries where international banking is impossible)
FILM LENGTH DEFINITION
Features: 60 minutes or longer.
Shorts: 60 minutes or less
All projects must be submitted via secure online screener - either as a password protected Vimeo or Youtube link attached to your submission or uploaded directly to FilmFreeway.
Online screeners must be available to stream; we do not accept any films that must be downloaded.
We cannot accept DVD or Blu-Ray screeners. In addition, we cannot accept screener links via email, they MUST be attached to your submission and ONLY via Vimeo, Youtube or directly on FilmFreeway (not Google Drive, etc. )
The submitter is responsible for ensuring that their screener link and password is active through at least November 30, 2020. In the event of a password or URL change after submitting, email us immediately. If we discover an error with the screener, we will attempt to email the submitter for an update. Failure to respond by the final submission deadline will result in disqualification without refund of submission fees.
Submission of a work confirms that the Les Rimbaud du Cinema has permission to exhibit it during the Festival and in any Les Rimbaud/Archipelago Les Rimbaud presentations to affiliate cinemas during limited screenings. Submission of a work implies that the Festival can employ moving image excerpts and reproduce stills for exhibition promotion. Les Rimbaud du Cinema also hosts “Les Rimbaud Films” screenings after the main festival in affiliate cinemas around the world.
*Permission will be asked for participation if you are selected.*
The general program and screening schedule are the exclusive responsibility of the Festival Director. Films accepted and included in the program cannot be withdrawn from competition once the entry form has been signed and submitted to the Festival.
ADJUDICATION (FILM JURY):
Finalists will be determined by the last week of October 2020. Acceptance of films to be selected and/or shown at Les Rimbaud du Cinema is by the Program Director via e-mail. Filmmakers are sent ongoing emails keeping them informed of the progress of the programmers.
Press kits and cover letters are not required but are appreciated. If you wish to submit either, please attach it to your submission.
Do not send publicity or updates on your film’s festival wins to us in separate emails. While we are happy for your successes we cannot take your wins at other festivals into consideration.
You are responsible to keep your Press Kit on FilmFreeway up to date. If we need information about your film, the director’s statement, or stills from the film we will refer to your Press Kit as submitted to FilmFreeway.
Please be sure to check your spam filters in order to receive our emails and eblasts that will be directed to accepted filmmakers. And most importantly, do not unsubscribe. We cannot add your email back once you've removed it.
TRAVEL AND HOSPITALITY:
It is our intention to provide a worry-free environment where people can conduct business and interact with other filmmakers from around the world. Our staff will be happy to provide for you a list of local hotels and information on transportation options upon request.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
LES RIMBAUD DU CINEMA FILM FESTIVAL REGULATIONS
I, the authorized representative of the project being submitted (the "Film"), acknowledge and agree as follows in connection with the Film's submittal for consideration for the Les Rimbaud du Cinema (the “Festival”):
Acceptance of a film does not guarantee airline or hotel accommodations for talent or production crew.
2. Acceptance of a film will not result in the payment of a screening fee.
3. The number of screenings, days and venues is at the sole discretion of Les Rimbaud du Cinema.
4. Accepted films may be asked to participate in Les Rimbaud Archipelago events in affiliate cinemas in various locations around the world after the November event. No film will be screened without direct authorization and approval of the respective filmmaker.
5. I hereby represent and warrant to the Festival that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Film (the “Film’s Owners”), to exhibit this Film at the Festival, (b) exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
6. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with the Festival.
7. In the event that the Film is accepted by the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the Festival's exhibition or presentation of the Film does not and will not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the Festival on the one hand and myself and/or the Film’s Owners on the other. I further acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that I and we understand that neither I nor any of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, the Festival or the Les Rimbaud du Cinema in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the Festival’s selection of the Film. I and the Film’s Owners understand and acknowledge that the selection of the Film by the Festival does not and will not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the Festival or the Les Rimbaud du Cinema of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
8. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the Festival and the Les Rimbaud du Cinema, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “Les Rimbaud du Cinema Related Parties”) from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorney's fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity or may be incurred by the Festival, the Les Rimbaud du Cinema or any Les Rimbaud du Cinema Related Parties at any time in connection with the Film or the Festival’s use thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the Les Rimbaud du Cinema, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
9. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the Film is being submitted to the Festival voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Festival, the Les Rimbaud du Cinema or any Les Rimbaud du Cinema Related Parties to accept the Film for the Festival, to exhibit the Film at the Festival, to acknowledge the submission of the Film, or to return the Film to me or others. I further agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of the Film’s Owners, that I and the Film’s Owners, in submitting the Film for consideration, are waiving and relinquishing any right to assert any claim or commence any proceeding in any forum or tribunal against the Festival, the Les Rimbaud du Cinema or any Les Rimbaud du Cinema Related Parties, based upon, arising out of or otherwise relating to the submission, exhibition, or failure to exhibit the Film (including, without limitation, claims relating to any failure or refusal to exhibit the Film at the Festival, the exhibition or marketing of the Film at or in connection with the Festival, alleged oral or written representations by the Festival or its representatives relating to the submission or exhibition of the Film, and any other matters arising from or relating to the submission of the Film), whether such claims may be based on theories of contract, implied contract, tort, statute, or other legal theory. In the event that any claim is asserted or any proceeding is commenced in violation of the agreement set forth in the immediately preceding sentence, I agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify the Festival from any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorney's fees and other costs) that are incurred by any of the foregoing as a result of or in connection with any such claim or proceeding brought in violation of the representations and agreements set forth in this paragraph, including, without limitation, reimbursement of all attorney’s fees incurred or to be incurred by the Festival, the Les Rimbaud du Cinema or any Les Rimbaud du Cinema Related Parties in connection with any claim, arbitration or other proceeding brought or initiated by me or any of the Film’s Owners or any other representative of the Film.
10. In the event that the Film is accepted by the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Festival, the Les Rimbaud du Cinema and their related entities without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Film and to grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
11. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that, if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my place of residence, I have provided the Festival with a written consent from my parent or legal guardian.
12. In submitting my film, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind not set forth in these Terms and Conditions, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by the Festival, the Les Rimbaud du Cinema, or any Les Rimbaud du Cinema Related Parties.