The 18th Jecheon International Music & Film Festival will take place from the 11th to 16th of August, 2022 in Jecheon City, Chungcheongbuk-do, Republic of Korea.
The Jecheon International Music & Film Festival (JIMFF) aims to be a celebration of both film and exhilarating music, shared and enjoyed by everyone of all generations. The Festival presents a series of programs that combine film and music including a section specifically for music, a program which introduces the various currents of contemporary music & cinema, and a number of live concerts staged outdoors on the shores of Cheongpung Lake and Uilimji. Jecheon International Music & Film Festival is presented by Jecheon International Music & Film Festival and hosted by the Jecheon International Music & Film Festival Executive Committee.
Official selections by the Festival’s Committee will be screened under the sections below;
<Competition Section >
1) World Music Film Today - International Competition
the official international competition section for the feature-length film (More than 60 mins), World Music Film Today introduces latest films across all genres in which music plays a central role.
2) Korean Music Film Now - Korean Competition
the official Korean competition section, Korean Music Film Now introduces latest films in every kind and length, in which music plays a central role.
1) World Music Film’s Landscape
A section that introduces films exploring the various music-genres and musicians, films in which music has been used crucially for the development of its narrative, films that show the universal life and the diverse cultures around the world through music.
2) Korean Music Film’s Landscape
Korean Music Film’s Landscape introduces the Korean latest music films in various genres including narrative, documentaries and animated films.
3) Special Presentation
A section to introduce the latest music films made by world-famous directors and great music films about the musicians who have had a great influence on the world music scene.
4) Sound & Vision
A section created to encourage the films questioning ‘What is a film?’ while exploring the essence and the properties of images and sounds.
5) Cinema Concert
A signature program of JIMFF, Cinema Concert represents the most primitive form of film music, while experiencing simultaneous screening and live music performance.
6) Curator of the Year
A section where JIMFF invite filmmakers, including directors and music directors who played important roles in the history of music and film, to select their own representative titles and the life-time music films that inspired their works.
7) Special Focus: All about Korean Music Film
A long-term archive showcase project to represent the history of music films that remain as an unknown area in the Korean film history. JIMFF will discover, restore, and introduce Korean Music Film Classic that redefines the meaning of 'music films' and identifies the cultural and historical characteristics of Korean music films.
8) Family Fest (TBD)
Featuring popular films that possess broad appeals across the generations, Family Fest is program section for enjoyable, family-centered all generation-music film.
[Awards & Prizes]
1) The Films admitted to the International Competition - World Music Film Today will be judged by International Jury members with the following prize;
Grand Prize | KRW 50,000,000 (appx. 41,000 USD)
2) The Films admitted to the Korean Competition - Korean Music Film Now will be judged by Jury members with the following prize;
Winner in Feature | KRW 15,000,000
Winner in Short | KRW 5,000,000
3) The Jury for each competition section will consist of at least more than three prominent representatives of music, culture, filmmakers and producers worldwide, and the Jury Members will be established by Jecheon International Music & Film Festival management.
1) All submissions for JIMFF2022 must have been completed after 1 Jan 2020.
2) Films of every nationality, kind and duration, related to the music-themed subjects are eligible for submission.
3) Only feature-length films that have never been shown previously in Korea (at least Korean Premiere) will be considered for International Competition Section-World Music Film Today.
4) Based on running time, a feature-length film is 60 minutes and/or more, and a short is less than 60 minutes.
5) Entrants cannot choose the screening section of their film submission, also the Festival will determine each film’s screening section when they are selected.
6) Preview Screener must be the final version of the submitted film. Should there be any modification/edit done after the completion of its entry, Entrant must contact the Festival and follow the instructions accordingly. The difference of the submitted film is entirely judged by the festival and selection can be canceled.
7) It is the sole responsibility of the Entrant to clear any and all actual or potential legal claims and issues from all content of the film, including but not limited to claims based on using music, stock footage, and any other elements contained and/or used in the film. The Festival expressly disavowed any responsibility for, and will not be held responsible for any legal issues that might arise from the inclusion of unclear materials in the film.
1) Films to be officially screened at Jecheon International Music & Film Festival will be selected by the Festival Selection Committee, and selected films will be notified individually.
2) Entrants cannot choose the screening section on the process of entry submission. It is the Festival Selection Committee’s sole authority and responsibility to determine each film’s screening section.
3) Selected films cannot be withdrawn from the program after being confirmed to screen at JIMFF2022.
4) Festival Selection Committee can reach to an agreement to cancel designated film’s status from the program when there is misgiven and/or false information in the entry form.
[Selected Films ONLY]
1) Entrants are obligated to cooperate with the screening when selection is confirmed. All selected films will have 2 screenings during the festival and with a possibility of an additional screening for the press and the local distributors until the end of the Festival.
2) Date, time, and venue of each screening is at the sole discretion of the festival.
3) Selected films will be screened in their original version. If the dialogue of film is not in English, it must include English subtitles. In order to provide the best experience to the Korean audience, the Festival produces Korean subtitles and recreates a DCP with Korean subtitles burned-in. All DCPs produced by the festival will be discarded after the festival.
4) All rights of the Korean subtitles are reserved to the Jecheon International Music & Film Festival. Above mentioned subtitles will neither be provided nor given for free to the Entrant and/or participant of the indicated film but could be sold and/or rented based on the internal standard for subtitles creation.
Promotional Materials Submission
5) For selected films, each entrant will keenly cooperate upon the request from the festival management. Materials list includes, but does not limit to;
Downloadable Screener (H.264:mov or mp4 / AAC / Image Size: 1920x1080)
Dialogue List (in both English and Original language)
Synopsis (in English)
Cast & Credit List
Stills of the selected film (at least 3 photos / 300 dpi)
Director’s Filmography and Biography (in English)
Press kit (if available)
6) Materials provided by the Entrant in the request from the Festival shall be used for any promotional purpose including but not limited to Program Catalogue, before and after the Festival.
7) Festival’s promotional range includes but does not limit to the Festival’s official website, social media, and local and/or international Press etc.
8) Festival can edit and/or extract the submitted trailer and/or excerpts of selected films to create its own promotional video. In case the trailer and/or excerpts are not available, the Festival is authorized to use extracts of the final screening version within three minutes, under its strict supervision. The excerpts will be used only for promotional purposes for the Festival.
9) Submitted screeners will be catalogued and made available for domestic and/or international juries, press, critics, and industry guests at the Video Library during the festival.
10) Submitted materials will not be returned unless there is a specific request from Entrants.
Final Screening Film Copy
11) The screening copy of selected films must arrive at the JIMFF Office within the deadline requested by the Festival. Shipping address and instruction will be notified by the festival management.
12) Eligible screening formats are as follows;
Digital File (same with or better quality than Apple ProRes 422 HQ)
※ If the dialogue of the Final screening copy is not in English, it must include English subtitles.
13) The Festival will be responsible for the round-way shipping cost when the following criteria meets; if the shipment has been made through the official courier service designated by the Festival, and if the sender and the receiver of the Final Screening Film are the same. In case the Final Screening Film is shipped from/to other festivals, the Festival will follow the standard custom of cost sharing among festivals.
14) All screening films will be returned to the address indicated in each entry form within 4 weeks after the festival unless otherwise stated. In case of outbound shipping, the transportation-related taxes incurred outside the territory of Republic of Korea shall not be borne by the Festival.
15) For any damage or loss incurred while they are within and between the Festival’s official boundaries, the Festival’s liability is limited to reimbursement for the cost involved in making a new Screening Print according to the current laboratory rates for ordering a standard one.
1) All selected films authorize that its provided screener (Digital file or DVD/Blu-ray) will be part of the Festival Archive, thus will be catalogued and be opened to be viewed at internal circulations by request or be screened only for educational & non- commercial purpose after the Festival.
2) All the films which are screened at JIMFF can be included in the JIMFF Tour Program or commercial public screenings under the additional authorization of the filmmaker or his/her representatives. As for the JIMFF award winning films, the Festival has been given the approval to screen at the JIMFF Tour Program for 1 year after the Festival.
3) Festival will be responsible for the damages arose by its carelessness in supervising its materials.
By entering Jecheon International Music & Film Festival, the Entrant acknowledges and agrees to all entry rules and regulations of the festival. The regulation above is valid once the application of a film is submitted to JIMFF, which contains the approval of the filmmaker or his/her representatives. Jecheon International Music & Film Festival reserves the right to make an independent decision on matters not concerning the above or where no decision has been specified.