Join us for the 11th Annual I've Known Rivers Film Festival (IKRFF) offering an exciting mix of critical documentaries, shorts, and clasdic feature-length films that focus on the Black experience in America and around the world. The theme: "Here I Stand: The Intersection of Art and Activism".
This year, we will continue the tradition of the well-received pop-up outdoor Drive-In and adding al fresco general admission and VIP seating (limited availability). More information is on the Tickets screen The event will take place at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Mall, on November 18-19, 2022. We will honor DR. JULIUS GARVEY (last living direct descendant of the Honorable Marcus Garvey) and BILL DUKE (legendary actor, most recently in recurring role on CW's BLACK LIGHTNING, and beloved humanitarian).
We invite filmmakers to submit their short films that demonstrate social justice and activism through the arts as directly impacted by Black lives within the African Diaspora. We provide a space for Black filmmakers to share their craft and their narratives.
The IKRFF will open with a special gala event benefiting FA-MLI Inc., (The Foundation for Arts Mentoring, Leadership and Innovation) and its human interest programs, including our award winning, stellar, Life Mastery/Mentoring program, “See a Man Be A Man” a Los Angeles based middle & high school (during and after school) program comprised of dynamic, effective activities, mentorship, life coaching, and interventions run by Black men.
The "FAMLI Cultural Warrior" award for the most impactful, emotionally stimulating film across all genres including shorts, documentary, interview format, concert, feature film, etc. Also, the top three-tiered finalists will be publicly recognized at the event.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
2022 I’VE KNOWN RIVERS FILM FESTIVAL
FILM COMPETITION RULES
The following rules govern all film submissions to the I’ve Known Rivers Film Festival (“IKRFF” or the “Festival”)
Please Note: I’ve Known Rivers Film Festival (property of Torrence Brannon-Reese) does not waive entry fees. IKRFF believes waiving entry fees hurts the integrity of the competition. The same rules and entry fees should apply to all applicants so no one film is favored over another. In a similar respect, IKRFF does not invite films to be in competition. Only films that are submitted will be considered for the competition.
1. Submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed online entry form. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a participating submission platform (WithoutABox or FilmFreeway), a password-protected streaming URL, or on DVD with NTSC or PAL formatting (please test before sending).
3. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
4. IKRFF screens films as digital files during the Festival and does NOT screen films on Blu-Ray, HD-CAM, or DCP. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film as a digital file for exhibition, DO NOT SUBMIT your film.
5. Films must have been completed after September 1, 2019. Films must be available for screening during the I’ve Known Rivers Film Festival, November 18 & 19, 2022.
6. Films that have been submitted to IKRFF in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all current rules.
7. Films with US distribution (obtained prior to being selected for IKRFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Selections for screening will be determined no later than one month prior to the festival. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition.
8. Films that have played in Los Angeles in a theatrical setting to a public audience prior to October 21, 2021 are eligible to compete at IKRFF Film Festival, with final approval by festival founder, Torrence Brannon-Reese.
9. Short films that are publicly available online prior to the Festival may be considered for screening during the Festival, but will be ineligible for Jury Awards.
10. *Feature films must be at least a Los Angeles premiere. IKRFF will not screen features in competition that have played at other Los Angeles festivals or screened publicly in a theater in Los Angeles (including a one night only screening in a rented space) prior to October 21, 2021. We prefer World, North American, and US premieres and all things being equal, will often opt to program the film that has not yet had a release over one that has played at several festivals. * No feature film submissions accepted for 2022. May resume for 2023.
11. Private invite-only screenings (for instance for cast and crew or donors) do not affect a film’s eligibility.
12. IKRFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
13. Films that are selected to screen at the Festival may not necessarily be selected to be “in competition” for awards purposes. Notifications regarding potential selection for competition status possibly may occur subsequent to notifications of acceptance for exhibition.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. IKRFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because IKRFF’s focus is on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the Festival with their most recent version.
2. Filmmakers who are unsure whether to enter their film into the Narrative Feature Category or one of the genre categories should select the genre category so the film will be watched with that in mind. IKRFF reserves the right to switch the entry category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests, and films will not be penalized for the original submission selection.
3. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by IKRFF in connection with the dispute.
4. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
5. Checks are generally not accepted as method of payment. However, if exception were made, the check would be subject to our Bounced Check Policy: If we receive a returned check from our bank for a payment you made, you will be invoiced for the original amount of the check plus a $40 bounced check fee. The payment of the invoiced amount will be due within 30 days of invoice date. We will not re-submit the original check, nor will we accept another check for repayment. Repayment must be made by cashier’s check, Zelle or Venmo.
6. Please include in your cover letter if your film was SHOT IN Los Angeles (include locations) or made by Los Angeles FILMMAKERS. We want to prevent oversight of your project.
Selected Films and Winners
1. IKRFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. IKRFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by IKRFF or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced on November 19, 2022. The judges’ decision is final.
4. IKRFF does not award cash prizes.
RETURNS & ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:
DVDs and press materials will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
I/We have read all of the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
I/We acknowledge that once an entry payment has been processed, IKRFF will not provide a refund.
No revisions of materials will be accepted once entry has been submitted.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
BY SUBMITTING YOUR FILM ONTO THIS PORTAL OR BY OTHER MEDIA, BY DEFAULT, YOU ARE IN AGREEMENT TO ALL HEREIN TERMS AND CONDITIONS.