The Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival - Isla Calavera calls for submissions for full-lenght films and short films, in live action and animation.
Isla Calavera Award for Best Feature Film
Isla Calavera Award for Best Short Film
Isla Calavera Audience Award for Best Feature Film
Isla Calavera Audience Award for Best Short Film
Isla Calavera Award for Best Director
Isla Calavera Award for Best Screenplay
Isla Calavera' Jack Taylor' Award for Best Actor
Isla Calavera Award for Best Actress
Isla Calavera 'Colin Arthur' Award for Best Special Effects
The Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival - Isla Calavera opens call for submissions for its 2019 edition to short films and feature films of fantasy genre (horror, science fiction, fantasy, thriller...), both animation and live action. Films of all nationalities can be submitted, either in Spanish languages or with subtitles in Spanish (if it is necessary, the material to subtitle the film must be provided).
There are two ways to submit feature length films or short films for the consideration of the Festival's Programming Committee:
- Via the streaming platforms FILMFREEWAY (filmfreeway.com).
- By email (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the subject “2019 Contest”, with a VIMEO link (or similar platforms with password).
The submission deadline is 10th October 2019.
2. Terms for the Shorts Films Official Section:
The Program Committee will only take into consideration short films satisfying the following conditions:
- Production date: All short films must be fantastic genre with a production date between 2017and 2019. The Festival may schedule short films from previous years, out of competition.
- Runtime: The maximum runtime accepted for short films is 20 minutes. The festival reserves the right to make exceptions of this rule.
- Format: The screening of the shorts will always be in professional format (DCP). In particular cases, Blu-Ray or high quality MP4 can be accepted.
3. Terms for the Feature Films Official Section:
All those fantastic films of long duration, produced between 2016 and 2019, preferably unreleased in Spain, may participate in this section.
The Festival may schedule, out of competition, unreleased in Spanish theatres feature length films from previous years.
Format: The screening of the feature length films will always be in professional format (DCP). In particular cases, Blu-Ray can be accepted.
The selected titles will receive the entry form to formalize their participation in the Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival – Isla Calavera.
The company lending the feature film/ short film must provide the Festival with promotional material: stills, posters, pressbooks, trailers, etc., so the Festival can promote the film correctly.
In addition, the company must also provide the appropriate material to subtitle the film, in case the original language is not Spanish.
The Festival reserves the right not to return this material.
5. Selected feature films and short films can participate in following sections of the Festival:
- Isla Calavera Short Films Official Section. In competition.
- Isla Calavera Feature Films Official Section. In competition.
- Isla Calavera Short Films Official Section. Panorama. Out-of-competition.
- Isla Calavera Feature Films Official Section. Panorama. Out-of-competition.
6. Official selection for Competition:
The Selection Committee will announce the selected films (shorts and feature films) to participe in the competition of the second edition of the Festival before October 25th 2019.
The selection of a feature film or a short film in the festival does not imply an invitation from the organisation to a representative of the work (distributor, filmmaker) to attend the festival. The festival will not asume any cost regarding travel, accommodation or meals of the representatives of the awarded works. The festival reserves the right to make exceptions of this rule.
The selected feature films and short films must be available for the organization before November 1st 2019.
Each of the copies sent to the Festival must have a clearly visible identification label with the following information: title, contact, nationality and running time.
The selected films must be sent to the following address:
Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival – Isla Calavera
Obispo Rey Redondo, 22 – 3º A
38204 – San Cristóbal de La Laguna
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
The short films ande feature films must be in Spanish or have Spanish subtitles. If it is necessary to subtitle the film, the company lending it must also provide the appropriate material: download link, DVD or Blu-ray and dialogue and/ or subtitle list.
In case that a screening copy could not arrive on time, the organization could replace the film/ short with another which guarantees its availability to carry out the necessary tests.
The Festival will not accept prints that do not meet the minimum screening requirements.
The Festival will cover the shipping costs generated by the sending and return of prints to be screened. In case the copy has to be sent later to another film festival, the latter will pay the delivery from our address.
8. Festival Program:
The selected films will be screened in the Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival – Isla Calavera second edition’s program.
The organization of the Festival will decide each film’s screening dates and times.
The awards of the Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival – Isla Calavera are non-economic.
- Jury Awards. The Jury will consist of professionals of the cinema. They will choose the winning films of the official competitive sections. The Jury will present the following awards:
1) Isla Calavera Award for Best Feature Film
2) Isla Calavera Award for Best Short Film
3) Isla Calavera Award for Best Director
4) Isla Calavera Award for Best Screenplay
5) Isla Calavera 'Jack Taylor' Award for Best Actor
6) Isla Calavera Award for Best Actress
7) Isla Calavera 'Colin Arthur' Award for Best Special Effects
The Jury’s decision will not be open to appeal and no award can be declare void.
In addition, the Jury will reserve the possibility to award a maximum of two special awards to highlight technical and artistic aspects of some of the films in competition .
- Audience Awards.
The audience of the third edition of the Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival – Isla Calavera will hand out the Audience Award to the Best Short Film and the Audience Award for the Best Feature Film, through a ballot paper that will be delivered along with the ticket and will be returned completed at the end of the screening.
10. Return of the copies used for the preselection and public screening:
Neither copies used for public screening in the formats indicates above, nor copies used for preselection will be returned automatically.
A pickup point will be enabled and those responsible for the production will be able to collect their film, during the 12 months following the date on which the Festival comes to an end.
In the case that a print is damaged as a consequence of its screening at the Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival, the owner must inform the Festival within one month of the date the print was returned.
The Festival’s responsibility will not exceed the cost of making a new print, according to the rates in force at laboratories for making a standard print.
11. Legal responsibilities:
The competitor will be the only one responsible for the short / feature film and its content, as for copyright.
12. Acceptance of these rules:
The participation in the Canary Islands Fantastic Film Festival - Isla Calavera implies the total acceptance of these rules.
Any matter arising during the Festival which is not covered by these regulations, will be decided on by the Festival organization in accordance with international rules.