The (In)Justice for All Film Festival (IFAFF) brings audiences films that explore America's criminal justice system – police, courts, and corrections – and the for-profit industries that feed at this trough of human misery. We share the stories of the millions relegated to second-class citizenship under an unforgiving system. We show better ways that exist in other countries and even best practices right here in America. And, we explore the root causes of mass incarceration, including racism, mental illness, the War on Drugs, and the criminalization of minorities. During 10 days in October, we will screen feature length documentaries, feature films, and topical shorts, with a focus on these major themes:
• The Epidemic of Mass Incarceration in America
• The Global Immigration Crisis
• Racism and White Supremacy
• Domestic Violence: The Silent Killer
Filmmakers are encouraged to submit films that provide insight into the challenges, the triumph of the human spirit, and personal and systemic solutions, revolving around these themes.
In addition to the broad themes above, we will welcome works that bring perspective to the following issues:
• The War on Drugs and its effect on individuals, families, and society
• Mental health in America
• The science of addiction
• The youth perspective on crime and prison
• The politicization of crime and punishment
• Global alternatives to imprisonment
• Incarceration’s impacts on men, women, and children (inside and out)
• Restorative Justice
• Discretionary police power
• The militarization of America's police departments
• History of incarceration and prison reform movements
• The gang alternative
• Politically motivated imprisonment
• Prison Profiteers, the corporations that profit from prison growth
This IFAFF's goal is to recognize filmmakers who are justice warriors in their own right, while providing critical awareness and education on these issues, and thereby grow the grassroots capacity to challenge and change the system.
Justice Awards (plaques or trophies) will be given to the top three short documentaries and top three full length documentaries/feature films. And our "Curley Cohen" Fan Favorite plaque or trophy will be awarded to a film selected by our audiences.
In addition, cash awards, as well as plaques or trophies, will be given to the top 3 "Justice Impact" films. These will be chosen from all the entries.
Official Regulations and Guidelines
1. Feature length films/documentaries completed on or after July 21, 2017 are eligible; short documentaries completed on or after July 21, 2016 are eligible.
2. All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English.
3. Entrants confirm and warrant that they have the required legal authority to submit the entry into the IFAFF and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
1. Films must be submitted on SD Card, USB Drive, or DVD.
2. Only entries submitted with completed submission forms, entry fees, signed attestation forms, and films submitted in the requested formats will be considered.
3. For 2019, the film committee is accepting only completed works; no works-in-progress will be considered.
4. The deadline for all submissions is July 21, 2019. Late entries will not be considered.
Submission of forms and films
1. Films may be submitted digitally through www.filmfreeway.com, or shipped to the film committee.
2. Submissions should be shipped to:
(In)Justice For All Film Festival Committee
c/o Trinity UCC
400 W. 95th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60628
3. Entrants may complete the entry form online or download the PDF format of the form from the website: www.InJusticeForAllFF.com
4. The cost of shipping an entry to the IFAFF must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted.
5. Judging and Selection (Please see the website for information on rubrics for judging the various categories.) All entrants will be notified regarding inclusion in the IFAFF by August 12, 2019. The film selections will be posted on the website www.InjusticeForAllFF.com. A member of the IFAFF committee will also notify each entrant by phone or email.