Griot Con – September 26, 2020 in Silver Spring, MD
Storytellers Matter. That is why Afrofuturism Network and MisterDuke Productions, LLC have joined forces to present Griot Con, an all-day, family-friendly event that fuses the excitement and spectacle of a comic convention with the cinematic experience of an independent film festival! We wanted to create a special experience where passionate storytellers, across mediums, and lovers of stories could assemble and share.
The event will take place at the beautiful Silver Spring Civic Building in downtown Silver Spring, MD.
To learn more and take a virtual tour of the venue, visit www.griotcon.com.
The festival portion of the event invites filmmakers from all over the world! Stories are timeless, so, all entries, 15 minutes or less, are eligible for submission, no matter how long ago the film was completed.
| What kind of shorts are we looking for? |
Griot Con welcomes short films and music videos that include elements of science fiction, fantasy, horror, superhero fiction, alternate history, utopian and dystopian fiction, or supernatural fiction, as well as combinations thereof.
| Benefits of Participating |
Live Screening - Screen your film near the Nation's capital.
Promotional Laurel – Official promotional material that adds credibility to your film.
Peer Review – Our judges are award-winning filmmakers.
Publicity Enhancement – Selected films are announced to industry professionals, press, and additional international media outlets.
Social Media Push – Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram announcements of winners and updates from our filmmaking community can be shared with your own lists.
| Notification |
Each submission received will be confirmed by FilmFreeway via electronic mail.
After judging is completed, filmmakers in all categories will be notified on August 28, 2020 of whether or not their film has been selected. Films selected to screen at Griot Con will also be announced on social media and in press releases sent to international media distribution outlets.
Best Short Film (Per Category) and Best Director.
1. Entries MUST be 15 minutes or less.
2. Submissions in other than English must be subtitled.
3. Multiple entries are not allowed.
4. Online screeners are mandatory. If you choose not to upload your project to FilmFreeway’s site, please provide an online link to your submission and be sure to include the password in an email correspondence sent directly to Griot Con.
5. Griot Con does not download submissions or accept Dropbox submissions. Please only send links to your content hosted on 3rd party servers such as Vimeo or YouTube.
6. Cover letters describing entries are beneficial and encouraged.
7. DVD entries will not be accepted nor returned.
8. If selected, filmmakers must sign releases to have their film screened at Griot Con.
9. Griot Con may request a downloadable copy (.Mov, .MP4, or other format) to use for marketing and exhibition.