Gilbert Baker Film Festival showcases LGBTQ+ narrative films, documentaries, animation, web series, and music videos once a year in honor of the late, great Gilbert Baker, the creator of the original rainbow flag.
The first festival came about because Aaron Casserly Stewart, Parsons City Commissioner in 2017, had wanted to honor Gilbert Baker, the creator of the Rainbow Flag. Gilbert conceived of the idea for the Gilbert Baker Film Festival, GBFF, with a group of his friends. The Festival was to be a celebration of LGBTQIA+ Pride in his old stomping grounds of Parsons, KS. Knowing that Parsons is a town in rural Southeast Kansas, Gilbert wanted to have an event that could showcase the accomplishments of the LGBTQIA+ community without a parade. Unfortunately, Gilbert died in 2017 before the first film festival was held. The committee working with him proceeded to hold the first festival. It was a small festival but it was a beginning. The town responded to requests to fly the Pride flag and showed support through attendance. Labette Community College provided space and a picture of the flag raising ceremony graced the cover of the local paper, the Parsons Sun.
In 2018, a dedicated group of people who wanted Gilbert's dream to reach its full potential continued working towards having another Film Festival. It was their hope that this event would honor Gilbert's memory and worldwide legacy for years to come. In 2019, the GBFF Committee coordinated with the Parsons High School Class that Gilbert would have graduated with if he had stayed in Parsons. To enable Gilbert's classmates to attend the festival, GBFF was held in October of 2019 at the same time as their high school reunion.
GBFF2020 was held the third weekend of September at the Parsons Public Library in Parsons, Kansas.
GBFF2021 was held from November into December online/virtually to a global audience allowing LGBTQ+ film fans around the world to come together to celebrate authentic Queer stories on screen and honor Gilbert Baker's legacy.
The GBFF Committee strongly believes in Gilbert Baker's vision to unite the LGBTQ+ community around the world so everyone feels seen, heard, valued, loved, and represented. The online/virtual format extends our reach and includes those in remote areas so that they may be able to attend and participate.
Events throughout the film festival may include: filmmaker Q&A's , watch parties, and discussions for our LGBTQ+ film-loving community.
We look forward to seeing you there!!!
Best in Festival
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Web Series
Best Performances / Acting
Best Production Value
Best Sound / Music
Best Costume Design
Best Character Development
Best Music Video
GBFF Rules & Terms
Gilbert Baker Film Festival accepts submissions for feature films, short films, feature documentaries, short documentaries, animation features, animation shorts, web series, and music videos. All submissions must have an LGBTQIA+ or gender identity focus.
Language: All submissions will be assessed by English speakers. If the submission is in a language other than English and speech is necessary for the experience, subtitles or other means of speech translation will be required. We request that even those submissions with spoken English, provide English subtitles if possible.
All feature narrative and feature documentary submissions must be 40 minutes or over in length.
All short film narrative and short documentary submissions must be under 40 minutes in length.
ALL submission/entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Short films, Web Series, Animations, and Music Videos that are available on YouTube, Vimeo or other media services are eligible for submission and award consideration.
We also encourage films without distribution to submit.
Please note, we do not pay rental or screening fees.
There is no production year limit on submissions. However, films or projects can only be selected for screening and judging in one festival year. Repeat screenings in subsequent years will only be possible as an exception, if agreed between the GBFF Committee and content rights owner.
All films must be initially submitted via FilmFreeway.
Filmmakers are required to fill out a completed application form via FilmFreeway.
All submissions will go under review and are selected on the following criteria:
The story has an LGBTQ+ narrative and/or primary LGBTQ+ characters
The strength of the story
The quality of narrative
The degree of LGBTQIA+ representation
The production values
Selected films must submit a H264 or mp4 digital format of selected submission and trailer with either subtitles built in or a separate digital subtitle file. Our festival is digital and virtual and does not accept, blueray, DVD, 35mm, super 16mm, or 8mm. A link to the trailer in the format of YouTube or Vimeo format must also be submitted if selected when possible.
All films submitted must be fully completed by September of the Festival Year. We reserve the right to remove/disqualify any film not completed by September of the festival year out of award selection process and potentially out of program selection process. We do not show incomplete films.
Submission of an entry indicates submitter accepts all of GBFF rules & terms, that the submitter guarantees that a screening copy in the format specified will be made available for the dates of the event, and submitter guarantees authorization to publicly exhibit the work at Gilbert Baker Film Festival. By submitting the screening copy you are stating you have the authority to distribute the film. It is the submitter's responsibility to ensure that they have the right to submit an entry to GBFF.
If the film's rights are held by a distribution company and/or the screening copy is to be provided by a distributor or agent then entry must be submitted by that distributor/agent, along with any criteria or conditions. We reserve the right to remove/disqualify the film from the program if criteria or conditions cannot be met.
Submission of entry permits Gilbert Baker Film Festival use of materials and images related to the project for the marketing purposes of Gilbert Baker Film Festival.
Gilbert Baker Film Festival reserves the right to refuse a screening copy of poor technical condition that may be detrimental to the screening.
GBFF is open to U.S. and International entries. Please check individual categories for additional requirements. By submitting an entry you agree to allow GBFF to screen your entry WORLDWIDE.
You may submit multiple entries but must fill out a separate entry form and pay an entry fee for each.
Call For Entries opens on March 1st of the festival year
• Early Deadline -- April 1st of the festival year
• Regular Deadline – May 1st of the festival year
• Late deadline – June 1st of the festival year
Submission must be received by the deadline date
Notification of Festival acceptance status is scheduled to be given to all entrants on or about August 1st of the festival year, possibly as earlier.
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR ENTRY:
-- Entry fee (must be paid online through FilmFreeway).
-- 3-Line Synopsis (may be used for Festival Program and website)
-- FEATURE-LENGTH FILMS: 250 Word Synopsis (may be used for Festival Program and website)
-- College Students: Include proof of student status at the time of production. (Copy of student ID or transcript.)
-- Young FILMMAKERS: Include a copy of your state or student id verifying your age at the time of completion of the film. You may submit a letter from a teacher if you do not have a photo ID. You must provide written consent from my parent or legal guardian
-- Accepted entries must submit at least one digital, horizontal 300dpi still photo from the film and at least one web-ready still at 72dpi and 560x315 pixels. If selected you may be asked to provide more images related to the submission.
Gilbert Baker Film Festival reserves the right to revoke a selection status if a file or print is received after the asked deadline.
Gilbert Baker Film Festival is held harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity or review of any experience.
If submission is selected you will be contacted by a committee member and advised where to send digital copies of the submission.
Gilbert Baker Film Festival aspires to provide the best quality projection possible but will not be held liable for any failure in the technical quality of the projection, internet, software or hardware, nor will fees be refunded in any such case. Screenings are scheduled during the Festival at the discretion of Gilbert Baker Film Festival. While every effort will be made to adhere to the published schedule, Gilbert Baker Film Festival reserves the right to make changes at any time for any reason. Gilbert Baker Film Festival will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in schedule.
No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its selection.
RENTAL OR SCREENING FEES:
Gilbert Baker Film Festival does NOT pay rental or screening fees for films.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. I, the representative of the project being submitted (the "Film"), acknowledge and agree as follows in connection with the Film's submittal to Gilbert Baker Film Festival (“GBFF”) for consideration for the Gilbert Baker Film Festival (the "Festival"):
2. I hereby represent and warrant to the Festival that (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights in the Film, to exhibit this Film at the Festival, (b) this exhibition will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity and (c) the Film is not subject to litigation nor is it threatened by any litigation.
3. I further represent and warrant that, to the best of my knowledge, the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity and that my Film does not constitute a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from the exhibition of the Film in connection with the Festival.
4. If accepted, I acknowledge that the Festival's presentation of the Film does not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the Festival and me. I understand that I will not receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at the Festival may include cash awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by or may be implied against the Festival or the GBFF or its Sponsors because of the Festival's selection of the Film. I understand and acknowledge that the selection of my Film by the Festival does not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the Festival or the GBFF the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
5. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the GBFF, the Festival, the affiliate, subsidiary and parent entities of each, and the officers, directors, employees, committee members, attorneys, advisors and agents of each of the foregoing from and against any and all claims, losses, or liabilities (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that may be asserted against any of the foregoing or incurred by any of the foregoing at any time in connection with the Film or the Festival's use thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the Institute or the Festival.
6. In the event that the Film is accepted into the official Festival program, myself and all other parties involved with the Film agree that the Film will not associate with nor receive support from corporations during or related to the Film's participation in the Festival that are Official sponsors or supporters of the Festival without prior written consent of the Organizational Committee of the Gilbert Baker Film Festival. Methods of support include: hosting a dinner, party or junket for or in conjunction with the Film, providing media space for roundtable or one-on-one interviews, etc. The GBFF is a non-profit organization that relies on the funding of our official sponsors and supporters to produce the Festival. For an official list of sponsors and supporters, please refer to the contributors list at http://www.gilbertbakerfilmfestival.lgbt. If you have been approached by a company or corporation that does not appear on this list, they are NOT officially aligned with the Gilbert Baker Film Festival.
7. If accepted, I hereby grant without reservations, to the Festival, and their related entities (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from the Film for promotional purposes and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Film and grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
8. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided a written consent from my parent or legal guardian. I agree that any controversy arising out of or in connection with my Film and the Festival will be governed by the internal laws of the State of Kansas and conclusively determined by arbitration in the City of Parsons in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association before a single arbitrator mutually agreed by the parties. I hereby waive any and all rights and benefits which I might otherwise have or be entitled to litigate any such dispute in court, including without limitation a trial by jury.
9. I acknowledge that I have read and understood the rules and regulations for submitting a film to the Festival.
10.By submitting a film or any content to GBFF, I constitute my full and complete acceptance of the terms hereof. I acknowledge that no oral representations of any kind have been made by the GBFF or the Festival.