SUBMIT FOR FREE
In a show of appreciation to the global independent filmmaking community who may be experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 restrictions, we are happy to announce that this year’s festival submission fees have been waived.
GIFF GOES VIRTUAL. FREE LIVE STREAMING+TV with PBS GUAM
For GIFF's 10th Year Anniversary, we are proud to partner with PBS Broadcasting’s local Guam affiliate KGTF Television Channel 12 to deliver our stories to a global audience.
Due to the COVID-19 government directives regarding the restriction of public gatherings in public places, we are going totally virtual with the 2020 edition of GIFF’s official programming lineup via FREE online streaming and a one-time local television broadcast provided by PBS Guam. This collaboration provides access to specially curated films for our local viewers as well as diaspora abroad.
Our past programs have included collaborations with Pixar Animation Studios, Pacific Islanders in Communications, the Guam Pacific Daily News (a Gannett company), Warner Bros. Archive and more.
In short, we’re the cinematic bridge between the U.S. and Asia. Our past festivals include Academy Award, Emmy, Sundance and Cannes Palme d’Or winners that have showcased side-by-side with first-time DIY indie filmmakers. But what all past filmmaker delegates agree to be the most memorable is the fact that our approach is unique, we keep it simple and we respect film. We believe in substance and connection – not pomp and circumstance. We love casual, laid-back island vibes where it’s okay to just be yourself – even if you are mingling amongst international industry and community leaders.
GIFF strives to capture the passion and spirit of independent filmmakers and their films as we showcase them to the Pacific Asia region.
COMMUNITY. EDUCATION. ENTERTAINMENT.
Guam International Film Festival (GIFF) is the first and only annual U.S. film festival in the western pacific. GIFF is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to foster the growth of cultural understanding through the art of filmmaking. We achieve this by providing free film education, promoting cultural understanding throughout our communities, and assisting in the establishment of a local industry of motion picture. GIFF provides this through community outreach, education through festival workshops and efforts to build awareness for social responsibility through our film programming.
GIFF proudly presents itself as an international cinema event exhibiting a new and dynamic source of cross-cultural artistic presence, bridging gaps among the U.S., Asia and the Pacific’s multi-cultural population and region. GIFF is the first and only annual U.S. film festival in the western pacific.
Only a few hours away from major international metropolitan cities such as Sydney, Manila, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, and Hong Kong, Guam has always served as the global gateway to an eclectic mix of professionals from the U.S., Asia and Pacific rim offering a platform to exchange opportunities in business and entertainment.
Note: As the 2020 edition of GIFF is a virtual one, the traditional GIFF Crystal Awards will be substituted with an alternate recognition. The eligible categories for the 2020 Guam International Film Festival honors are as follows:
Grand Jury Honors
Eligible Categories: Narrative Feature, Narrative Short, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short
Audience Choice Honors
Eligible Categories: Narrative, Documentary, Animation, Made in the Marianas
Best Made In The Marianas Honors
Eligible Category: Made in the Marianas
Best of Festival Honors
Eligible Categories: Narrative, Documentary, Animation, Made in the Marianas
Please note that the 2020 edition of the Guam International Film Festival will be exhibited via online streaming and local Guam television broadcast. AS A NON-PROFIT COMMUNITY FESTIVAL, GIFF DOES NOT PROVIDE SCREENING FEES, HOTEL/TRAVEL ACCOMMODATIONS OR GUARANTEED COMPETITION STATUS IN EXCHANGE FOR SCREENING YOUR FILM. We kindly ask that you do not enter your film if you do not agree.
For complete 2020 GIFF Submission Rules and Regulations, please visit the GIFF Official Website: http://www.guamfilmfestival.org
We accept only digital online secure screeners via FilmFreeway.
Filmmakers may be students, amateurs and professionals. Films may be of any genre, including narrative films, documentary films, features, shorts, student films, music videos, animations, mobile short and experimental films. Be sure to refer to our GIFF rules of eligibility and category guidelines on our website. We are particularly interested in presenting Pacific Asian Premieres.
The Festival will not consider works-in-progress. The Festival will consider work recorded on Mobile Devices. All films with dialogue in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for Festival Submission and Festival Exhibition.
We will inform you of our official selections by August 1, 2020. (Please note that this date is approximate and it may take a few days more than anticipated due to the number of submissions.)
CERTIFICATION OF ENTRANT: I, the contact person for the film submitted with this application, agree to the following terms and conditions:
• I have read, understood, and completed all eligibility requirements for which I would like this film to be considered.
• I am duly authorized to submit this film to the Guam International Film Festival (GIFF) for the purpose of exhibition by online streaming and television broadcast.
• I grant GIFF non-exclusive clearance, permission and license to exhibit this film in the 2020 Festival without screening fees, travel/accommodation costs, guaranteed competition status or any other exchange whatsoever.
• GIFF will not claim to have, either under this agreement or otherwise, any right, copyright, title or interest of any kind or nature whatsoever, to this film.
• With my permission, GIFF and/or PBS Guam editorial staff is entitled to make intermissions, alterations, deletions, cuts or other modifications to this film for its television exhibition through this Agreement.
• GIFF reserves the right to determine the final eligibility of any work submitted. Works accepted for the 2020 Festival will be categorized and programmed at the sole discretion of GIFF.
• This film may have language tracks other than English, but must have embedded English subtitles.
• This film is not subject to litigation nor is threatened by any litigation.
• All rights, licenses, clearances, and releases necessary for exhibition of this film have been secured, so that the exhibition of this film will not obligate GIFF to make any payment to myself or any third party and will not violate or infringe upon the rights of any individual, firm or corporation whatsoever.
• GIFF and its affiliates may use excerpts from the film and stills for advertising and promotional purposes, in print or electronic materials, online, or at live events.
• I may use the official GIFF logo and GIFF Official Selection laurel images for promotional purposes of this film.
• All exhibition files and promotional materials must be received by GIFF no later than August 8, 2020. Failure to meet this deadline may result in the forfeiting of this film’s exhibition through GIFF, at the discretion of GIFF.
• GIFF shall not assume any responsibility for errors or inaccuracy of content, personal injury or property damage resulting from exhibition, unauthorized access or use, any errors or omissions in any content for loss of damage incurred as a result of the exhibition or use by the Festival; and/or the defamatory, offensive or illegal conduct of any third party.
• This Agreement and all matters or issues will be governed by the laws of the U.S. Territory of Guam applicable to contracts performed entirely in the territory.
• I have read, understood, and agree with all of the above rules and terms.
• To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements in this application and agreement are true.
• This contract is binding and I will be held responsible for the information in this submission.