The first Foiling Film Festival Competition opened March 15, 2022.
Festival will take place during the Foiling Week event
June 29th & July 2nd, 2022
Malcesine, Garda Lake, Italy
The Festival will take place in Malcesine at:
Palazzo dei Capitani
Via Capitanato, 4, 37018 Malcesine VR
JUNE 30th 2022, h19 : First Festival night
JULY 02nd 2022, h19 : Second Festival night
After the huge success and popularity of all the foiling sports in the last years, the Foiling Week event, awarded in 2021 as one of the special world events by the World Sailing Class, has launched the first Foiling Film Festival. Located in the stunning Malcesine overviewing the magic wind machine called Garda Lake, the Festival is a competitive event bringing together the best films and pictures about foiling and the spirit of adventure from around the world.
The festival offers you the chance to meet other filmmakers, photographers and professionals athletes and mentors around the world of sailing and foiling at 360. It would be the best opportunity to exchange ideas and collaborate in a highly creative and inspiring atmosphere in person during the Foiling Week event. It’s also a great opportunity to connect with leaders in the foiling adventure field, including engineers, brands, gear manufacturers, potential sponsors, and journalists.
Films entered into competition will be reviewed and selected prior the Festival.
All winner films will be included and screened into the FFF nights in Malcesine (approximately 2 hours long and contain 8-15 mixed films). Short films are particularly popular for the programming flexibility they provide so if you are submitting a longer film, you may wish to also enter a shorter version in competition.
Other films, even though won’t be screened during the festival, may be considered for inclusion in our World Tour programs (in theatre or virtual) that will reach a global audience of sailors and foiling lovers from around the globe. If your film is selected for the World Tour, our team will contact you to arrange a separate licensing agreement.
Grand Prize BEST FILM
Best INDIPENDENT FILM (Amateur)
Best ARRANGEMENT (Editing, Pictures, Music choice)
Best SHORT FILM (2 minutes to 5 minutes)
Exploration / Adventure Foiling Film
Action / Sport Foiling Film
Culture / Environment Foiling Film
Events / Regattas / Foiling Event Film
• Films must be entered into one category only.
• The Foiling Film Festival Competition reserves the right to make the final decision on the category of any film entered.
• Entries are not limited to one award.
• Awards may be presented to the director or the producer of the film.
All entries will be viewed prior to the Festival by a pre-selection committee chaired by the Festival Director. The jury will be composed by a Team of one professional athlete, one video maker and one professional in the field . The winners of each category will be decided prior the event.
Finalists chosen by this committee will be screened and viewed by the public at the Foiling Film Festival
• Winners will be announced prior the festival and awarded during the 2022 Festival, June 29th & July 2nd, 2022. The jury reserves the right to not present an award, and its decisions will be final.
An extra vote ranking will be received by the audience during the event. It will be announced at the end of the Foiling week event and will not have any prizes.
The competition closes at 11:59pm (CET time) on 29th April 2022. Before entering, please ensure you read the Rules and Terms in their entirety as the dispatching of any entry to the Foiling Film Festival Competition implies acceptance of these procedures and regulations by the Entrant:
1. Completed films need to be uploaded at the time of entry. We do not accept rough cuts, trailers or unfinished projects and are unable to consider new versions of films once they’re entered. Please refer to the late entry application process in the section below.
2. Films produced in the year 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 are eligible for competition.
3. The same film may only be entered once in the Foiling Film Festival Competition.
4. As a festival tour we will the own and the right to screen your film for one year on from the submission as FFF. The year will start from the first day of the festival June 30, 2022.
5. After one year from the submission, in theatre and online screening fees may be offered and discuss with the film owners. A separate licensing agreement will be made directly with the film entrant. The year will start from the first day of the festival June 30, 2022.
6. If English is not the original language of the film, it MUST be entered into competition with burn-in English subtitles, or be dubbed in English.
7. Film finalists agree to have their film screened on our Online platforms and at multiple live venues and on multiple dates within the festival period, June 29 – July 03, 2022 and for one year starting from the first day of the festival June 30, 2022.
8. Award winners agree to have their film screened on our online platforms and locally in theatres after the Festival as part of an award winners series for one year. The year will start from the first day of the festival June 30, 2022.
9. All submissions may be retained by the Festival for adjudication, on-demand and archival purposes.
10. All film entries uploaded via FilmFreeway or through email, along with available film overview, credits, specifications and distributor information will be made accessible for viewing during the Festival in our On-demand Screening Room to filmmakers, distributors, festival directors, Foiling Film Festival World Tour hosts, and media.
11. Film finalists will be made available to the public post-Festival in Malcesine (restricted viewing on site for research purposes only).
12. The Entrant grants the Festival and its successors, licensees and assigns the right to copy and version the entry in its entirety to facilitate technical operations of the Festival, in and through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised.
13. The Entrant grants the Festival and its successors, licensees and assigns the right to use images from the clip AND accompanying photos submitted to the Festival for promotional purposes of the Festival and its activities in or through any and all media formats now known or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, the Internet throughout the universe.
14. The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters will be decided by Festival organisers or the Festival jury at their sole discretion.
15. Applicants must have the intellectual property rights and distribution rights to enter this film into the competition. Applicants must acquire the performing rights for any music contained in the film and provide evidence should it be required.
16. The dispatching of any entry to the film competition implies acceptance of all regulations by the Applicant.
17. Foiling Film Festival has to be considered as Foiling Week
LATE ENTRY INTO THE COMPETITION:
We shouldn't accept late film entries into competition due to the timing of our programming logistics. However, if you feel strongly that your project is a worthy candidate and that the final version of your film will be completed by the 10th of May 2022, you may apply for a late entry and we will consider your application. To request details and an application form, please email email@example.com
In the meantime, please do not enter unfinished films, rough cuts or trailers into competition as we can only accept completed films. Enquiries made after 20th May 2022 will not be considered.
Filmmakers are required to submit their film for pre-screening at the time of entry via FilmFreeway or though email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are using a secured link, please keep us updated of any changes to passwords. If English is not the original language of the film, it MUST be entered into competition with burn-in English subtitles as part of the video image, or be dubbed in English. We recommend a sans-serif font with maximum readability against both light and dark backgrounds.
Film duration: From 2 minutes up to a maximum of 50 minutes (if selected, films longer than 20 minutes would be requested to be shortened to be part of the Festival Night program).
If your film is selected as a finalist, you will be required to provide a high resolution master. We accept finalist masters as either Avid DNxHD or Apple ProRes 422 codecs at 1920x1080i/p in a .mov or .mxf wrapper and our preference is to use the 10bit codecs (example: ProRes 422 (HQ) or Avid DNxHD 175X, 185X or 220X depending on frame-rate). We will also request finalists to submit their master film with the frame rate that it was edited in, to a maximum of 30 frames per second. Audio should be uncompressed PCM, .wav or .aif at 24bit, 48kHz. Finalists will be contacted by the festival with instructions on how to upload.
• If English is not the original language of your film: The Festival reserves the right to refuse films without English voiceover or English subtitles. Subtitles must be part of the video image.
• The Festival Producer will have the option to conform the content to broadcast-quality standardization or, alternatively, to charge a fee (in consultation with entrant) for Foiling Film Festival in-house corrections in the event of substandard submission.
For any DCP content, please email email@example.com
If your film is selected as a finalist, you will be asked to provide a variety of trailer and formats and sizes of images from the film to be reproduced, published and/or exhibited for promotional purposes as they pertain to the Foiling Film Festival (Foiling Week), World Tour, and the associated Foiling Week Events. Details of images, thumbnails, trailers and video film intro will be sent to film finalists.
The Entrant agrees to indemnify Foiling Film Festival (Foiling Week), their respective successors, assigns, licensees, and their respective officers, directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees) and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the Entrant of any statement, representation or warranty made by the Entrant in this entry form.
GRANT OF RIGHTS AND WAIVER
By entering the film competition, the Entrant represents and warrants that:
a) The Entrant hereby grants Foiling Film Festival (Foiling Week) the rights to use the film as outlined in this entry form.
b) It owns all right, title and interest, including the copyright and all intellectual property rights, in and to the film being submitted to the Festival and has the right to distribute, exhibit and promote the film in or through all media formats now known or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, the Internet throughout the universe.
c) All music licenses (including, without limitation, all synchronization, mechanical and master-use licenses, as applicable) have been obtained and all payments have been made that are required for the public performance of the music incorporated in the film.
d) No material in the film being submitted by the Entrant to the Festival is libelous or is slanderous or defamatory or violates any right of privacy or publicity of any person, and the full use of the rights in such film will not violate any rights, including copyright or moral rights, of any person, firm or corporation.
e) To the extent that the Film Producer may now or in the future be entitled to any so-called moral, author’s or similar rights in the film pursuant to the Copyright Act (Italy) or otherwise, the Producer hereby irrevocably waives and relinquishes all such rights in favor of Foiling Film Festival (Foiling Week) and its assignees and licensees to the fullest extent permitted by law.
f) By entering the Foiling Film Festival Competition, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to all entry Rules and Terms.