Now in its 18th year, Film Independent Future Filmmakers brings to the big screen the best films made by emerging young filmmakers from across the country and around the globe. The showcase is a curated program of short films made by middle and high school students. The films are selected by a committee of professional filmmakers as well as youth curators from Los Angeles. As part of our mission we’re committed to cultivating a new generation of creators, storytellers, and audiences of independent film. We work to connect media professionals, teachers, and youth creators, and bring them together at Film Independent Future Filmmakers every fall in Los Angeles for a day of screenings, mentorships, and community.
ABOUT FILM INDEPENDENT
Film Independent is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our mission is to champion creative independence in visual storytelling and support a community of artists who embody diversity, innovation and uniqueness of vision. We help filmmakers make their movies, build an audience for their projects and work to diversify the film industry. With over 250 annual screenings and events, we provide access to a network of like-minded artists who are driving creativity in the film industry.
• All Middle and High School short films must have been completed after January 1, 2019.
• World premiere status is NOT required to be considered. Films may have played other festivals prior to this one.
• Films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for Festival consideration and presentation.
• All submissions should have a total running time of 15 minutes or less.
• Films that have been submitted for consideration in previous years are eligible for re-submission given that significant work has been made on the film.
• For submission purposes, films may be works-in-progress, with temporary soundtracks or digital outputs.
• Filmmakers must deliver final format (as indicated in the “screening requirements” section below) for Festival screenings. No exceptions will be permitted.
• Films must be works shot, directed, and produced by middle school or high school (pre-University) students. Adult supervision must be limited to an advisory capacity.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING:
• Completed submission form, submitted electronically via FilmFreeway.
• All screeners must be submitted digitally online.
• There is no entry fee requirement, all submissions are free.
• Do not submit a press kit. We will request press kits only once a film has been accepted.
If your film is selected for exhibition, please be advised that the Festival will require:
• Quicktime Files (Native Resolution, using Pro-Res 422 Codec)
• Digital press kits with photo stills (color and black/white)
• Headshots of director(s) and writer(s)
• 1 sentence publicity synopsis of the film; 150-word synopsis of the film
• Trailers, clip reels, and EPKs, if available, to maximize exposure for your film
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
I, the undersigned, acknowledge and agree as follows:
• I have read, understood, and complied with all eligibility requirements.
• All the statements in this document are true.
• In consideration for the opportunity to be selected into the Film Independent Future Filmmakers Program, I release and discharge Film Independent, Inc., the Film Independent Future Filmmakers Program, its employees, agents, contractors, volunteers, licensees, successors and assigns (collectively “FIND”) from any and all claims, demands or causes of actions related to misappropriation or infringement of copyright or violation of any other right arising out of or relating to my submission hereunder.
• I agree to indemnify and hold harmless FIND from any claims that arise as a result
of this submission or screening of my film (should it be selected) as well as from
damage to or loss of any submitted materials en route to the program.
• I have all rights necessary and am duly authorized to submit this film to the program.
• This film is not subject to any claims or litigation and is not threatened by any claims
• I understand, as the authorized representative, any prizes, unless otherwise
specified, will be awarded to the director(s) of the winning films.