Fidé is the first festival in France which is completely dedicated to the international student documentary. It's about any filmed, sound or multimedia work leaning on the reality and which was realized during director's studies. Universities, schools, workshops and students of the whole world participate in it, for about 600 documentaries registered every year. Its principles are the ones of the promotion and the celebration of the student creations, except the usual circuits, in which they rarely find their place.
The festival has no restrictions of the date of the production or original support or subject. The maximum length is 60 minutes.
Directors of all nationalities are welcomed to submit their films. Subtitles in French or English are demanded.
Fidé is non-competitive but different "awards" are offered every year, like introductions to producers or experimented directors.
FIDÉ - INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF EMERGENT DOCUMENTARY
The works allowed in the Festival must answer to all following conditions :
a. Be a documentary or a "documentary-oriented" film, audio documentary, or animated film. Corporate or institutional films, reports, magazine topics or media coverages won't be accepted. The works of pure fiction are not admitted.
b. Be a work of creation in which the point of view and treatment issues are raised as much as the questions regarding the subject. Corporate or institutional films, reports, investigation films, magazine topics or promotional films are not accepted.
c. Be a work that has been completed during the time of the director’s studies (university, college, high school, workshops) or a self-produced work .
d. Do not be a work already sent to the previous editions of the Festival.
e. Subtitles : non-French speaking films must be subtitled in French or English. Warning : English speaking films must be subtitled as well: preferably in French, if it is not possible, then, in English. In case your film is selected, you must be able to send us a subtitle file: srt, stl, FCP, Premiere or Avid sequence, for example.
f. There is no restriction of directing date, subject, original support, director’s nationality or production’s country. One director can submit more than one documentary.
g. The playing time is limited to 60 minutes maximum.
ONCE THE ELIGIBILITY OF YOUR DOCUMENTARY IS CONFIRMED :
1. The submission must be done by filling-in the submission form available on the Festival website.
Before filling out the registration form, certify that you have a link to watch your film (Vimeo, Youtube, Dailymotion, etc.).
obs. : The Fidé’s submissions are also available on different registration platforms (Please note that some platforms are subject to fees. Registration on the festival website is free of charge).
obs. 2: If you live in an area without high-speed internet, you can send us a DVD. Contact us before filling out the registration form: email@example.com.
Beware : The FIDE does NOT accept blu-ray, usb keys, hard disks, data DVD.
2. The final decision about the selection will be published on the Festival website.
3. The DVD will not be sent back.
4. The FIDE includes screenings at several venues, in addition to the main programming, especially at partner universities.
5. All films selected for the Festival will remain available to consult for the members of the association Les Impatientes.
6. The Festival reserves the right of presenting films extracts of less than 3 minutes and maximum 10% of the total film’s playing time on the Internet or any other broadcasting way and to use them for the trailer.
7. Information about the film and the director may be published on the website and on any document communicating about the Festival.
8. Rights owners must have settled all issues related to copyright, subsidiary rights and image copyright.
9. Submitting a work implies the acceptance of these conditions and the transfer of the screening rights without any costs or counterpart.
BEFORE FILLING THE FORM
Before filling the form, we suggest you to prepare the material and to think or get informed about a few subjects.
- link and password for Vimeo or any diffusion platform without downloading option
- website and contact of the school in which you’re studied during the filmmaking of your documentary.
To think or get informed about:
Here as some questions we would like you to think about before starting to fill the form, it will help you to fill quickly certain parts of the questionnaire.
1. The FIDE organizes other screenings all year-long (“cartes blanches” in other festivals, “outdoor” screenings, associative events, etc.). If you’d like your documentary to participate, we offer you to give us a prior agreement regarding the cession of rights for those screenings during one or three years. You’re always be informed when a screening of your documentary will be organized.
2. The FIDE is in contact with other festivals and broadcasters, and also with documentary cinema professionals, cinema schools and universities. Would you accept that the FIDE gives the informations for the online screening of your documentary (or a lending of the DVD) to one or more of these partners that could be interested by your work?
3. Sometimes we receive films with a very rich material but which are not highlighted by editing. Many of us in the programming team have studied cinema and made a documentary as a student. We know that in some schools and especially in universities, you must be director and editor of your own film and / or have very little time for editing or if you had a limited levels of income, without being able to take a step back or have external looks. If you think you are in this situation and you still have the possibility or the desire to resume editing after the opinion of a professional editor, tick the box indicated on the form. If, on our side, the programming team judges that this professional opinion would be useful to you, we will contact you to organize the exchange with the professional editor.
Note: The Festival is not required to organize this exchange for all directors who have checked this box.
Thank you for your attention !