The International Short Film Competition, organized by FKM, Fantastic Film Festival of A Coruña, consists of a selection of the best short films of horror, fantasy and science fiction produced in 2018 and 2019. Which objective is to contribute to development of the audiovisual industry and arts, fomented the genre perspectives, the distribution of independent productions and to foster the incorporation of new men and women filmmakers to the film culture.
Throughout these years, the festival has focused, on one hand, on bringing awarness of the new talents of the genre cinema, also, on the exhibition of cult films rarely projected or distributed, giving the public the opportunity of (re) discovering them, and in the screening of the new independent films that are destined to be the cult films of the future.
We also have a strong commitment to training and debate; with courses, workshops, lectures, master classes and round tables, ranging from children to the elderly, from students to professionals ...
◦FKM’s bronze trophy: Awarded to the Best Short Film, accompanied by an award certificate signed and sealed by Festival Organizers and Jury members.
◦Honorary Mention: The jury will reserve the possibility, if it thinks fit, to grant up to a maximum of 2 Honorary Mention. They will consist of a document accrediting the award, signed and sealed by Festival Organizers and Jury Members.
•The Audience Award: The audience will award the next prize:
◦Mutant Barnacle’s trophy: Made of synthetic resin and hand-painted by an artist selected by the Festival, accompanied by an award certificate signed and sealed by Festival Organizers.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM COMPETITION FKM 2019
1. National and International Film Competition organized by FKM- Fantastic Film Festival of A Coruña, (referred to as FKM, or “Festival Organizers” in these terms and conditions) in which individuals or legal entities may participate. The Production year it will be 2018/19.
2. All short films need to be shown as premieres in Galicia. As a general rule, premieres in Spain will be prioritised. The duration of participating works must not exceed EIGHTEEN minutes including opening and closing credits.
3. Participants eligible for competition must be 18 years of age or over, or in case of a minor, have authorization from a parent or legal guardian.
4. Submission can only be made by means of these platforms:
• FilmFreeway (https://filmfreeway.com/) Festival fee: 5,00$
The submission deadline is 2019 August 25th.
5. The display format must be Blu-Ray, HDcam, Betacam, H264 (.mov / .mkv) archives or DCP no encrypted.
Each copy must bear a clearly visible label identifying them with the following details: title, format length of time and contact. Likewise the copies must be available for the organization before October 1st. In case that a screening copy could not arrive on that date, for reasons beyond the organization control, the organization could replace the film/fake trailer with other one which guarantees to be available on October 1st in order to undergo the relevant tests.
The cost of transporting copies receive for the purposes of screening is the responsibility of the Festival, except in the case where a copy has to be sent to another Festival. In this case, the other Festival will pay for the cost of transport from our address to theirs.
The return of the copies will not take place before the closing of the festival. If the copies need to be submitted to another festival before the closing of FKM, participants will need to make the dates clear, so that FKM can organise the festival schedule accordingly.
REGULATIONS FOR SUBMITTED FILMS
6. Accepted genres are horror, fantasy and science fiction. Live action or animation, which will participate together and opting for the same prizes. The Contest is also open to films whose originality makes them a new genre by their own.
7. During the selection we will have a special attention to works with a gender perspective: that include main female characters, avoid the representation of women as mere victims and without portraying sexist or demeaning topics
8. In the event that it is necessary to subtitle the film, the company lending it must also provide the appropriate material: download link, DVD or Blu-ray and dialogue and/or subtitle list. The Festival will not return this material, which will be destroyed once the Festival is over. If the film has distribution in Spain, the distribution company must provide the Festival with a screening print in its Original Version with subtitles
9. All the films selected for the ShortFilm Festival official competition will receive a certificate confirming participation in A Coruña’s Fantastic Film Festival.
10. Submitted works shortlisted by Festival Organizers will be eligible for the following prizes:
a) The Jury Prize to the Best Short-Film: will be decided by a special jury chosen by FKM. The members of the jury (who will be cinema and culture professionals) will award the following prizes and awards:
• FKM’s bronze trophy, awarded to the Best Short-film, accompanied by an award certificate signed and sealed by Festival Organizers and Jury members.
• Honorary Mention, The jury will reserve the possibility, if it thinks fit, to grant up to a maximum of 2 Honorary Mention. They will consist of a document accrediting the award, signed and sealed by Festival Organizers and Jury Members
b) The Audience Award
The audience will award the next prize
• Mutant Barnacle’s trophy, made of synthetic resin and hand-painted by an artist selected by the Festival, accompanied by an award certificate signed and sealed by Festival Organizers.
11. The Jury Prize
11a) The FKM Jury members will be no fewer than three and always odd in number.
11b) The Jury will have a President appointed by the Festival Management, who may participate in the deliberations but will have no right to vote.
11c) The FKM's Short Film Jury may establish its own internal rules in agreement with the Festival Management.
11d) The Jury award to The Best Short Film, going to the maker of the film, will be honorary accompanied by a commemorative trophy and without monetary endorwment.
11e) The awards cannot be declared void, or bestowed ex aequo
11f) The decision of the Jury will be final and binding.
11g) The winning distribution company undertakes to clearly indicate on advertising for the film that it received the Jury Award for Best Short Film at the 11th FKM, Fantastic Film Festival of A Coruña
12.The Audience Award.
12a) The people attending the session or sessions will choose which they consider to be the best FKM's Short Film audience award within each session. The award will go to the short film to receive the highest number of audience votes (according to the weighted voting system used).
12b) The Audience award to The Best Short Film, going to the maker of the film, will be honorary accompanied by a commemorative trophy and without monetary endorwment.
12c) The awards cannot be declared void, or bestowed ex aequo
12d) The winning distribution company undertakes to clearly indicate on advertising for the film that it received the Audience Award for Best Short Film at the 11th FKM, Fantastic Film Festival of A Coruña.
13. All FKM’s awards and prizes will be announced and presented at the closing event of the festival, October 21st.
14.The company or person lending the selected works must provide them to the Festival with the necessary advertising material (photographs, posters, press books, trailers, etc.), in order that the Festival may appropriately promote the work. FKM reserves the right not to return these materials.
15. In the event that the print winds up getting damaged as a consequence of its screening at the Festival, the owner must inform the Festival within one month’s time, starting from the date the print was returned. The Festival’s responsibility will not exceed the cost specified on the entry form by the company lending the film.
16. Participants must ensure that works submitted to the festival are original, do not violate the rights of third parties nor will they impede or hinder the full and peaceful exercise of the rights given to Festival Organizers by the present festival terms and conditions. In the case that participants use any pre-existing work not in the public domain as part of works submitted to the festival, they must have prior written consent from their corresponding rights holders. Consequently, participants must respond to festival organizers and sponsors as to any action or claim made by third parties in relation to the cession and/or exercise of rights given by virtue of their participation in the current festival.
17. Personal details provided by festival participants will be processed and incorporated into the relevant Festival Organizers’ data files, as dictated by Spanish data protection law (“Ley Orgánica 15/1999, de 13 de diciembre, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal”). The collection and processing of personal information is solely for the purpose of managing a list of festival participants, and also for the purpose of sending participants information about other activities and contests that Festival Organizers may launch in the future. Festival participants give non-profitable and absolute authorization to use their likeness/ photograph in any print or audiovisual notice or marketing campaign arranged by the Festival Organizers, including publication of participants’ names or the moment they were given a prize.
To exercise the right of access, correction, cancellation, or disagreement related to information collected by the Festival Organizers, interested parties must submit claims to the e-mail email@example.com.
18. The Festival organization will decide each film’s screening dates and times. Festival Organizers will contact directors/producers/distributors of shortlisted short films providing instructions for sending their work in one of the formats described in point 5. Shortlisted participants will be notified at the end of September.
19. Any other issues arising during the festival not included in these terms and conditions will be decided by the festival organisers. Also They may authorize exceptions that may contribute to greater success of the competition or improved management.