We are proud to announce the 5th Durham Region International Film Festival (DRIFF) to be held October 03-05, 2019.
DRIFF programs compelling films from around the world while fostering the regional film community that produces high quality content in Durham.
Join us in celebrating you, the Artist, as we focus on providing a platform to screen your creative work, excite audiences and receive recognition for excellence in the arts. Filmmakers have an opportunity to engage with the public through Q&A sessions and social mixers, shining a light on the creative industry behind the lens.
Features, shorts, documentaries, animation, comedies, and student film projects are all invited for submission. Cash awards are given to winners in 4 categories.
DRIFF is dedicated to the education, growth, and support of local filmmaking as a cultural and economic asset, honoring the creative spirit and belief that film can effect positive change.
2019 Festival Awards:
Best Student Film - $500 cash prize
Best Short Film - $500 cash prize
Best Feature Film - $500 cash prize
Best Regional Film - $1000 cash prize*
* If your film contains one or more of the following criteria you will be considered for the Regional prize of $1000.
1. If the producer/director/screenwriter live in Durham Region.
2. If a substantial number of your production crew is from Durham Region.
3. If more than 30% of the film was shot on location in Durham Region.
4. If more than 3 locations in Durham Region were used.
5. If your foley or film score was produced by Durham Region Artists.
6. If the script was written by a Durham Region screenwriter.
7. If your documentary content and subject matter profiles Durham Region.
Entrants must be at least 18 years old at the time of submission for all categories other than the Student category where they can be 14 years and over.
SHORT FILMS : Films that are over 1 minute and under 44 minutes including all genres.
FEATURE FILMS : Films that are 44 minutes and over including all genres.
- Production : only works produced after January 1, 2018 will be accepted.
- Submission : The deadline for submission is August 05, 2019.
- Selection : Applicants will be informed of the results of the selection by September 3rd, 2019.
The following should be provided with each submission:
- Completely filled submission form
- A secured web screener, working until the end of the Festival, October 5th 2019
- Full payment of the submission fees.
Films must not have a scheduled theatrical release in Ontario before the festival dates: October 17-20, 2019. No entry shall have been screened commercially, released in video format or available on the internet or video-on-demand prior to the Festival (exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Festival Committee upon selection).
Filmmakers whose films have been chosen for screening at the festival will be notified by EMAIL ONLY, on or before September 3rd, 2019. The judge’s decisions is final and not subject to appeal. Scheduling of screening dates, times, and locations is at the sole discretion of DRIFF.
Please Note. DRIFF organizers have final authority on all matters not specifically covered by these regulations.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Response from festival:
Nick, thank you for the thoughtfully feedback. Without constructive criticism we as a festival can not evolve.
First let me say that I am very sorry that you had a very disappointing experience at the festival in 2017.
My name is Kirk Cooper the new programming director at the festival. I intend to take a closer look at comments regarding the venues to ensure that the filmmaker and the audience will have a wonderful viewing experience. As a festival we will address our overall communication internally and make sure that volunteers are equipped with relevant information for our guests at the festival. In addition I will start by send a comprehensive package explaining what happens after a filmmaker has been selected and I will be available to all our selected filmmakers should they have question or concerns from the moment they have been selected.
Again, thank you and we understand that our festival may never be your first or any choice for future submissions, but we do hope that you could reconsider.
I wish you all the best with your endeavour…