We are proud to announce the 6th Durham Region International Film Festival (DRIFF) with programs running from September 29 to October 1, 2022. We invite you to submit your films to our open call for submissions.
The Durham Region International Film Festival (DRIFF), like many events in the arts community, has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, the DRIFF Board of Directors placed a one-year hiatus on our regularly planned fall festival in 2021. The team has been hard at work behind the scenes investigating hybrid festival options and re-imagining ways to deliver our festival in 2022. We will continue to support and promote contemporary and critical films that encourage important dialogue that allows audiences to connect and learn from one another.
The spirit of DRIFF remains intact — a festival that encourages community involvement through a shared love for cinema by offering unique and diverse programming with creative community partnerships.
2022 FESTIVAL AWARDS:
Best Student Film - $500 cash prize
Best Short Film - $500 cash prize
People's Choice Award - $500 cash prize
Best Feature Film - $1,000 cash prize
Best Regional Film - $1,000 cash prize*
* If your film contains one or more of the following criteria you will be considered for the Regional prize of $1,000.
1. If the producer/director/screenwriter lives in Durham Region.
2. If a substantial number of your production crew is from Durham Region.
3. If more than 30% of the film was shot on location in Durham Region.
4. If more than three locations in Durham Region were used.
5. If your foley or film score was produced by Durham Region artists.
6. If the script was written by a Durham Region screenwriter.
7. If your documentary content and subject matter profiles Durham Region.
Entrants must be at least 18 years old at the time of submission for all categories other than the Student category where they can be 14 years and over.
SHORT FILMS : Films that are over 1 minute and under 44 minutes including all genres.
FEATURE FILMS : Films that are 44 minutes and over including all genres.
- Production : Only works produced after January 1, 2020, will be accepted.
- Submission : The deadline for submission is August 12, 2022.
- Selection : Applicants will be informed of the results of the selection by September 06, 2022.
The following should be provided with each submission:
- Completely filled submission form.
- A secured web screener, working until the end of the Festival, October 02, 2022.
- Full payment of the submission fees.
Films must not have a scheduled theatrical release in Ontario before the festival dates: September 29th to October 1st, 2022. No entry shall have been screened commercially, released in video format, or available on the internet (including social media) or video-on-demand prior to the Festival (exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Festival Committee upon selection).
Filmmakers whose films have been chosen for screening at the festival will be notified by EMAIL ONLY, on or before September 06, 2022. The judge’s decision is final and not subject to appeal. Scheduling screening dates, times, and locations are at the sole discretion of DRIFF.
By submitting your film to DRIFF, you consent to having your email added to DRIFF’s mailing list where you can choose to unsubscribe at any time.
All short films submitted to DRIFF are also in consideration for our monthly "DRIFF in a Jiff" program. This program screens shorts only and is held at The Robert McLaughlin Gallery in Oshawa, ON. By submitting your film, you give permission for it to be considered for screening at this free event that helps engage and build an audience for our annual festival.
Please Note. DRIFF organizers have final authority on all matters not specifically covered by these regulations.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.