We are proud to announce the 4th Durham Region International Film Festival (DRIFF) with programs running from October 01-03, 2020, in addition to our monthly "DRIFF in a jiff" shorts.
DRIFF programs compelling films from around the world while fostering the regional film community that produces high-quality content in Durham.
Join us in celebrating you, the Artist, as we focus on providing a platform to screen your creative work, excite audiences and receive recognition for excellence in the arts. Filmmakers have an opportunity to engage with the public through Q&A sessions and social mixers, shining a light on the creative industry behind the lens.
Features, shorts, documentaries, animation, comedies, and student film projects are all invited for submission. Cash awards are given to winners in 4 categories.
DRIFF is dedicated to the education, growth, and support of local filmmaking as a cultural and economic asset, honoring the creative spirit and belief that film can effect positive change.
2020 Festival Awards:
Best Student Film - $500 cash prize
Best Short Film - $500 cash prize
Best Feature Film - $500 cash prize
Best Regional Film - $1000 cash prize*
* If your film contains one or more of the following criteria you will be considered for the Regional prize of $1000.
1. If the producer/director/screenwriter live in Durham Region.
2. If a substantial number of your production crew is from Durham Region.
3. If more than 30% of the film was shot on location in Durham Region.
4. If more than 3 locations in Durham Region were used.
5. If your foley or film score was produced by Durham Region Artists.
6. If the script was written by a Durham Region screenwriter.
7. If your documentary content and subject matter profiles Durham Region.
Entrants must be at least 18 years old at the time of submission for all categories other than the Student category where they can be 14 years and over.
SHORT FILMS : Films that are over 1 minute and under 44 minutes including all genres.
FEATURE FILMS : Films that are 44 minutes and over including all genres.
- Production : only works produced after January 1, 2018, will be accepted.
- Submission : The deadline for submission is August 05, 2019.
- Selection : Applicants will be informed of the results of the selection by September 3rd, 2019.
The following should be provided with each submission:
- Completely filled submission form
- A secured web screener, working until the end of the Festival, October 5th 2019
- Full payment of the submission fees.
Films must not have a scheduled theatrical release in Ontario before the festival dates: October 17-20, 2019. No entry shall have been screened commercially, released in video format or available on the internet or video-on-demand prior to the Festival (exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Festival Committee upon selection).
Filmmakers whose films have been chosen for screening at the festival will be notified by EMAIL ONLY, on or before September 3rd, 2019. The judge’s decision is final and not subject to appeal. Scheduling of screening dates, times, and locations is at the sole discretion of DRIFF.
All short films submitted to DRIFF are also in consideration for our monthly "DRIFF in a jiff" program. This program screens shorts only and is held at The Robert McLaughlin Gallery in Oshawa, ON. By submitting your film, you give permission for it to be considered for screening at this free event that helps engage and build an audience for our annual festival.
Please Note. DRIFF organizers have final authority on all matters not specifically covered by these regulations.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.