The Dublin Smartphone Film Festival
The Dublin Smartphone Film Festival (DUBSMARTFF) is an international festival dedicated to celebrating work shot on Smartphones.
No longer is expensive technology a barrier to creativity. The mobile phone has expanded the scope and freedom for filmmakers. Now aspiring artists have the ability to write, shoot and edit, their films at the touch of a button. Smartphones are reshaping the way we approach filmmaking creating limitless possibilities in the palm of your hand.
The festival was created with the goal of encouraging these filmmakers to share the stories they have captured on mobile devices. We also aim to provide a platform to exhibit these stories to a wider audience. It is also a chance to reward storytellers, who are using these devices to push the boundaries of narrative and style.
The festival takes place in the month of January and submissions are open to anyone with a Smartphone a compelling story to tell. Throughout the year there will be events designed to challenge filmmakers and revolutionize the way we approach filmmaking.
We are a Festival created and run by Smartphone filmmakers.
We offer the unforgettable experience of watching your film shot with a micro device on the big screen.
Not just a festival, we are expanding beyond the confines of a single event. We will be offering unique workshops, live filming exercises and panel discussions and we champion filmmakers all year around.
We are IMDB registered
The 2023 edition of the DUBSMARTFF will present Awards for:
International Feature Film
International Short Film
Documentary Feature Film
Irish short Film
Best Documentary Short
Young Filmmakers (under 16)
Irish Language Short
We offer over 4,000 euro's worth of prizes from our sponsors
More to be announced.
1. All Films must be shot exclusively on a Smartphone or Tablet device- (DLSR, GoPro, Camcorders, not excepted). Additional production equipment, lights, Tripod, Boom, sound equipment are permitted.
2. Additional editing software can be used for post-production, audio and Visual effects.
3. The use of filter Apps (Prisma) is allowed and encouraged but auto editing apps will not be accepted.
4. All Entries submitted must be an original production. It must not infringe on the copyright, trademark or other rights of any individual.
5. Entries must not exceed 15min in duration. Any film submitted longer then this running time will not be excepted. Your film will not be included in the judging process and you will not be awarded a refund for your entry fee.
6.. We welcome submissions in any language but we ask that all entries (not in English) be subtitled in English.
7. The Dublin Smartphone film festival charges a small entry fee to cover administration costs for running the festival
8. Submissions must have full clearance for all content before submitting. Any Issues that may arise due to infringement of copyrights is the Applicant’s sole responsibility. The Dublin Smartphone Film Festival and its members are not responsible for any infringement of copyrights.
9. By Submitting to the Dublin smartphone film festival participants agree to the reproduction and dissemination of their films for the display and promotion of the festival (Media, film festivals and TV)
10. Drone footage is permitted in moderation. 5% of footage shot using a drone is acceptable in conjunction with footage shot on mobile phones.