This year due to COVD19 , The Dublin Arabic Film Festival DAFF 2020/2021 , presented by Dubai Duty Free and sponsored by Arab Irish Chamber and Dublin City Council is adding the first Short Films competition : The inaugural Jim Sheridan Short Film Competition.
We will be working again with ChesterBeatty and the French Embassy in Ireland by showing a couple feature films online and we will have our own online platform to show the officially selected short films and the chosen feature films. The online platform will be subscriber based and secure for all the selected films.
Only subscribers will have temporary access to the selected short films.
The festival will run over the course of 3 days online between Fri 22 Jan -Sun 24th Jan with a live streaming announcement of the winners on facebook on the eve of the final day.
JIM SHERIDAN SHORT FILM COMPETITION
The Jim Sheridan International Short Film Competition is a new addition to the renowned Dublin Arabic Film Festival (DAFF) .
Aspiring filmmakers from around the globe are invited to submit their original shorts.
The Short Film Competition's aims is to provide a platform for aspiring, emerging & professional filmmakers to submit films from 1 minute up to 20 minutes and will consider all themes.
Entrants will have their work viewed and judged by distinguished professionals from the film Industry. The finalist list will be seen and judged by Oscar nominated Film director Jim Sheridan and the filmmaker Zahara Moufid and the actor Omar Sharif Jr.
The film director Jim Sheridan will choose the overall winners & runners up of the competition.
The festival competition will consider live action, documentaries and animation up to 20 minutes in duration.
Thanks to Waterford Film Festival for providing some of the prizes.
Best Short Film
1. The winning Director & Producer gets a one on one zoom meeting with Jim Sheridan, where he will provide a workshop on Directing/Screenwriting for one hour. They will also receive a cash prize of € 300 and a digital certificate plus official laurels. They will Automatically qualify to screen at the 15th Waterford Film Festival in 2021.
2. Runners Up for Best Short Film - € 150 and a digital certificate & Laurels. Automatically qualifies to screen at the 15th Waterford Film Festival in 2021.
3. Special Mention Award - A Certificate, Laurels & Automatically qualifies to screen at the 15th Waterford Film Festival in 2021
4. Best Student Short Film- €100 A Certificate, Laurels & Automatically qualifies to screen at the 15th Waterford Film Festival in 2021
All Finalists will receive official Laurels
1. Films produced from January 2018 onward will be considered.
2. Jim Sheridan will pick the overall winner from our shortlist.
3. DAFF will accept entries of all genres& themes films no more than 20 minutes. Filmmakers worldwide can submit their work. Non- English language films must be dubbed in English or have English subtitles.
4. We do not however consider web/new media -For example marketing presentations.
5. All entries will be viewed by the selection committee. The Festival will make no cuts or changes. Festival selections will be announced on or before January 8th 2021
6. The festival does not pay rental fees for submitted work.
7. This year the festival is an online only event. Selected films will be screened on a secure subscriber based platform. All filmmakers must agree that if the their film is selected that you give us permission to present your work on our platform
8. COPYRIGHT: Filmmakers are responsible for securing all copyright clearances and music rights.
9. At this time we will not be providing any feedback on entries.
10. Do not send any press kits until they are requested by festival staff.
Note: By entering your film for consideration for the Dublin Arabic Film Festival & Jim Sheridan Short Film Competition you authorize that your work is cleared for festival exhibition and accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein.
Entry into the festival constitutes permission to exhibit your work at the Dublin Arabic Film Festival & Jim Sheridan Short Film Competition is also hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
You will also agree to allow the Waterford Film Festival the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
The application shall indemnify and hold harmless The Dublin Arabic Film Festival & Jim Sheridan’s Short Film Competition and The Waterford Film Festival and employees of said entities from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.