Presented by the California Film Institute, DOCLANDS Documentary Film Festival brings compelling stories and the provocative insight behind them to Marin County, CA, May 3 - 6, 2018. Expanding upon the exchange of ideas and inspiration through public screenings, engaged conversations, and grassroots networking events, DocLands aims to build an active, involved, fully supportive community around documentary film dedicated to initiating connections and partnerships that will illuminate and invigorate the business and art of non-fiction filmmaking.
Awards & Prizes
DocLands is a non-competitive festival.
Rules & Terms
DocLands entries will only be accepted via upload through the FilmFreeway submission platform. No DVDs or external links will be considered.
Programming emphasizes new works in both documentary features and shorts.
• Feature-length entries (40 minutes and over) receiving theatrical release, TV broadcast, or that are available for purchase on DVD or online (e.g. iTunes, video on-demand, etc.) prior to DocLands's dates may NOT be considered.
• Feature-length entries receiving a theatrical or festival screening in the San Francisco Bay Area prior to or within one month following DocLands’s dates may not be considered for the Festival. Exceptions may be made under special circumstances. Entries accepted for DocLands will not be eligible for inclusion in the Mill Valley Film Festival.
• DocLands does not pay rental fees. Instead, our resources are invested in the production and promotion of the best possible showcase for your work. Films may subsequently be considered for theatrical runs at our year-round venue, the Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center.
• Films may be screened more than once during the festival
• Industrial, promotional or instructional films are NOT eligible.
• Films must have been completed within 20 months of festival dates (after October 1, 2016).
• Filmmakers are responsible for providing a good quality DCP or 35mm print for their screening. DCP or 35mm ONLY.
• Filmmakers will be notified via email of entry status by approximately April 10, 2018.
• Once a film is submitted it may not be withdrawn.
• If selected to screen in the festival, you may be asked to provide an electronic press kit.
• Exhibition prints must be sent to the Festival prepaid. The Festival will cover return shipping via FedEx, DHL, UPS, or US Mail unless other arrangements are requested.
• In case of loss or damage during the Festival, the responsibility of the Festival is limited to the costs of repair or replacement of the print only. Media are insured for up to $100 per entry when shipped out. While all entries are packaged with extreme care, the Festival is not responsible for loss or damage to prints in transit.