Hosted by Borealis Dance Theatre in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Dance Camera North provides a supportive space for dance filmmakers to challenge choreographic storytelling through film. This innovative platform creates the opportunity to expand the dynamic performative art of dance to larger audiences while pushing the envelope to what is possible through film.
Jury Panel Award: $150
Submissions open January 1, 2023
Early Deadline: March 1, 2023 at 11:59p Central Time
Final Deadline: April 7, 2021 at 11:59p Central Time
Notifications Sent: May 8, 2021
Festival Date: May 20, 2023
$25 Professional Early Deadline
$20 Student Early Deadline
$35 Professional Final Deadline
$25 Student Final Deadline
Streaming link (Vimeo, YouTube) or uploaded to FilmFreeway as part of submission
If your film is accepted, we will contact you to provide a link so that we may download your film to share as part of our curated online screening.
PRIZES AND AWARDS
We accept films up to 10 minutes of running time.
As outlined below in our Rules and Terms, we look for narrative elements in a dance film. Our Programming Panel is looking for clear narrative or theme, filmic quality and dance quality. Every film is screened by three members of our Programming Panel to ensure thorough review.
If your film is selected, we may request film stills and/or production photos, along with photo credits, for use in promoting Dance Camera North.
RULES AND TERMS
All professional and student, dance-based films within 10 minutes will be considered.
Please read the entire agreement and ensure that you have the rights to submit the film.
When submitting your film, please include credits in your entry (written out in FilmFreeway) for Director and Choreographer ensuring proper credit is given to all artists involved in your project.
For the purposes of Dance Camera North, dance film (dance for the camera) is a film that incorporates dance as a core narrative component.
Recordings of live performance are not eligible. Your film must consist of 50% dance or choreographic movement. If it falls short, it may not qualify as a dance film.
By agreeing to the Terms And Conditions located below- the entity submitting the Film (hereafter called the “Filmmaker”) acknowledges that they have obtained consent from any and all owners, choreographers, creators, writers, Producers and/or other authorized representatives of the Film (hereafter called the “Film’s Owners”) whose consent is required to submit the Film to Dance Camera North (hereafter called the “DCN” and “Festival”), and has read and accepts the submission terms and conditions below:
1. I represent and warrant to the DCN that: (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights or interests (including, without limitation, intellectual property rights) in or relating to the Film, to exhibit this Film at DCN, (b) exhibition of the Film at DCN will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity; and (c) the Film is not subject to any litigation, arbitration, or other adversarial claim or proceeding, nor is the Film the subject of any threat of litigation, arbitration, or other adverse claim or proceeding.
2. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with DCN.
3. In the event that the Film is accepted by DCN for inclusion in the Festival, I acknowledge, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that we understand that none of the Film’s Owners will receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at DCN may include cash or other awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by, or may be implied against, DCN in the event of, by virtue of, or as a result of the DCN’s selection of the Film for the Festival.
4. I agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify and hold harmless the Festival, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “DCN Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by DCN, the Festival, or any DCN Related Parties, at any time in connection with the Film or DCN’s use, handling or consideration thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to DCN or any DCN Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
5. In the event that the Film is accepted by DCN for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Festival, and any DCN Related Parties without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director(s) and producer(s) of the Film, and to grant DCN, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to organizations that sponsor Festival events.
6. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that DCN has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by DCN with respect to selection of films for inclusion in the Festival, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Festival, or any DCN Related Parties to provide me, the Film’s Owners, or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Film by DCN for possible inclusion in the Festival.
7. I hereby acknowledge that I have the right to consult with an attorney of my own choosing with respect to these Submission Guidelines and with respect to the Release for submitting a Film to the Festival, located at borealisdance.org/dance-camera-north. I agree that I am doing so after having consulted with an attorney or after I freely or voluntarily elected not to do so without coercion or duress.
8. I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood the Release for submitting a Film to the Festival, located at borealisdance.org/dance-camera-north, and that the information contained in said Release does and shall supersede any information obtained elsewhere.
9. By completing my submission application for Dance Camera North 2023 consideration, I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Submission Guidelines. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Submission Guidelines, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by DCN or any DCN Related Parties.