The Dhaka International Mobile Film Festival (DIMFF) is a unique place of artistic exploration and entertainment. It is the pioneer film festival where films are exclusively shot on mobile phones, ignoring what kind of mobile devices the filmmakers are using. DIMFF is the bridge that connects mobile filmmakers to the world of filmmaking, taking new advantage of technologies like mobile cameras. For the last seven consecutive years, DIMFF is arranging this event, and with each passing year, its’ popularity is increasing. Filmmakers from around the globe enjoying this new platform to uphold their voices.
Creativity is a thirst; it can never be time or medium-bound. Artistic souls always find a way to express themselves. DIMFF is a platform where they can explore their inner creativeness by using innovative digital tools. This brings unparallel opportunities for filmmakers where language cannot be a bearer while discussing global issues. DIMFF believes they need free space to think and communicate and showcase their work on a global platform to empower artistic minds. Filmmaking processes have changed a lot with the advent of new technologies, primarily handheld digital devices like smartphones. This has opened doors for filmmakers by creating an environment where talent, creativity, and hard work counts more than budget and industry connections. Believing that anybody with a thought-provoking concept or an emotional story can make a great film. The festival will showcase works of the new generation and find talented students using a simple and readily available tool that it’s often overlooked: a mobile phone.
The first rule- all films must be shot with mobile phones. In the Competition Category, the director must be a current student of any university at the Undergraduate or Graduate level. The One Minute Category director must be a current student of grades 1-12.
Dhaka International Mobile Film Festival (DIMFF) has been started in 2015 as Cinemascope Mobile Film Competition. Currently, the DIMFF is an outreach program under the Media Studies and Journalism department of the University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh.
The festival upholds and promotes the motto ‘New generation, New tool, New communication.’ The festival is free of entry for students. Independent Category is open for all, whereas Competition Category is restricted to the university students at Undergraduate or Graduate level and One Minute Film category is limited to Grade 1 – 12 students. Films for this festival must be shot on a mobile phone (cell phone/smartphone). However, there is no restriction regarding the brand, model, and operating system of the phone and post-production tools.
DIMFF’s purpose is to inspire and spark creativity in people of all ages with limited income or resources and encourage filmmakers to harness their dreams and recognize the immense possibilities to accomplish them. The Dhaka International Mobile Film Festival is for newness. With their new tools, this new generation will establish new communication overcoming race, color, religion, and ideology. DIMFF is a platform where language cannot be a bearer while discussing issues. These young minds need the right opportunity and guidance to make this world a better place.
Web address: www.dimff.net
Follow DIMFF: www.facebook.com/DIMFF.ULAB
Subscribe channel: www.youtube.com/c/DhakaInternationalMobileFilmFestival
DIMFF Best Film: Independent Category
Cash prize, Trophy, and Certificate
CinemaScope Best Film: Competition Category
Cash prize, Trophy, and Certificate
ULAB Young Film Maker: One Minute Category
Cash prize, Trophy, and Certificate
Independent Category Finalist: Certificate
Competition Category Finalist: Certificate
One Minute Category Finalist: Certificate
Rules & Terms:
1. Independent: Anyone from any region can submit films shot on a mobile phone. Selected films will screen at the festival, and the best film will get the ‘DIMFF Best Film’ award.
2. Competition: Only university students of the Undergraduate or Graduate level can participate in this competition section. Selected films will be screened at the festival, and the best film will get the ‘CinemaScope Best Film’ award.
3. One Minute: Only grade 1 to 12 students can participate in this competition section. Selected films will be screened at the festival, and the best film will get the ‘ULAB Young Film Maker’ award.
1. Director of the film can be single or group (maximum four persons).
2. Only the director or representative of the directors (for the group) can submit his/her film.
3. For the Competition Category, the participant must be a university student who has a valid student identity card until March 2022.
4. For the One Minute Category, the participant must be a grade 1 to12 student who has a student identity card valid at least till March 2022.
5. Each participant can submit a maximum of two films.
6. Films screened/participated in other festivals/competitions are also welcome.
7. Films submitted in previous seasons of DIMFF will not be accepted.
1. Films must be shot on a mobile phone (cell phone/smartphone) for any category. There is no restriction regarding the brand, model, and operating system of the phone.
2. Multiple mobile phones can be used in the shooting; however, usage of footage(s) shot by any other device(s) such as DSLR, compact cameras, or hybrid android cameras will disqualify the film.
3. Use of additional equipment is allowed, including (but not limited to) external microphone, lenses, lighting tools, and tripod.
4. All films must be submitted in .mov/.avi/.mp4 format.
5. Use of Computer Animation/VFX must not be more than 30% of the total duration.
6. Stop motion animation films using mobile phone cameras are accepted.
7. Any device or software may be used in the post-production process, such as editing video and audio, color-correction, and special effects.
8. Any duration can be submitted in Independent Category.
9. For the Competition Category, the film must be within 10 minutes, including the title and credit line.
10. For the One Minute Category, the film must be one minute, including the title and credit line.
11. English subtitle is mandatory and should be merged with the visual.
12. There is no restriction regarding the theme or topic. All genres are welcome.
13. Use of any copyrighted materials is prohibited unless written permission.
14. Nudity, profanity, extreme violence, or racist content is not allowed.
15. DIMFF will preserve the right to archive, publish and use submitted materials for academic, commercial, and non-commercial purposes.
Deadline and submission:
1. No entry fee is required for students.
2. Submission deadline is September 23, 2021.
3. Late submission will cost $20 (Independent Category), $10 (Competition Category) & $5 (One Minute Category). No submission will be allowed after October 28, 2021.
4. Submission will accept by FilmFreeway only. Please use this site link <https://filmfreeway.com/DIMFF> for film submission.
5. After primary selection, you will ask to submit, Film Poster, Photograph, and Biography of the director/s, a scanned copy of both sides of the student identity card (for Competition category & One Minute category only), a scanned copy of the national ID/Passport, Video of Making of the film (Behind the scene).
6. Behind the scene must contain sufficient proof that your film was only shot with a mobile phone. Director should talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the mobile phone used for filming in ‘Making of the Film.’ The duration of this video should be within 3 to 5 minutes.
1. Acceptance notification will be sent by email on December 30, 2021.
2. The organizers may disqualify a film if they have reason to believe that it does not comply with the competition’s terms and conditions.
3. Selected films will be screened at ULAB Auditorium on February 25 & 26, 2022.
4. DIMFF reserves the right to withdraw the awards at any time if there is a formal complaint regarding a violation of intellectual property rights or Independent, Competition & One Minute category rules.