The Washington DC South Asian Film Festival (DCSAFF) is a 501 (c) (3) Not for Profit Organization and is one of the most celebrated screen events on the Washington, D.C. cultural calendar. The festival takes place annually in the heart of America’s capitol, showcasing the best in alternative cinema from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, and Sri Lanka.
We give prizes in following categories:
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Smartphone Film
Best Feature Film - Audience Award
Best Short Film - Audience Award
NOTE: At present we are planning for hybrid film festivals (some programming virtual, some in person), from Nov 03-27, 2023. If deemed necessary due to a epidemic or pandemic we will switch to 100% virtual programming. A revised update will be provided in early 2023.
Only films that comply with the following criteria will be considered.
1. The Applicant must be legally authorized to enter DCSAFF 2023.
2. Films must be from the South Asian Diaspora with a unique voice, message and creative appeal.
3. Films must feature the work of filmmakers of South Asian descent living inside or outside the subcontinent.
4. Films made by Non-South Asian filmmakers must feature significant South Asian content.
5. Films must have completed post production by August 2023.
6. Duration: Feature Films must have a maximum duration 140-minutes, Short Films (includes Music Videos and TV episodes) must have a maximum duration of 30-minutes, Smart Phone Short Film (includes TikToks) maximum duration 12 minutes and Documentaries must have a maximum duration of 60-minutes. If your film is longer in duration, please contact the festival before submitting.
7. Non-English language films must be subtitled in English.
8. Participation at another international film festival does not preclude entry into DCSAFF. However, preference will be given to North American Premieres.
9. To remain in consideration, the submitted film should not have premiered in Washington DC (including Maryland and Virginia) prior to the festival.
10. Films that are available on Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple TV, YouTube or any other online platform will not be accepted.
11. Re-entry: If your work was submitted and considered for previous editions of DCSAFF, you may re-submit your film if you have made significant changes and if all eligibility requirements are met.
12. DCSAFF can only accept and consider entries submitted with a valid entry form and non-refundable entry fee.
13. Late Entries: If you are unable to meet the late submission deadline (August 31, 2022), please contact the festival and tell us of your intent to send a late entry.
14. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials. The applicant releases DCSAFF from any and all claims related to infringement of copyright or violation of any other right arising out of screening the film.
15. DCSAFF reserves the right to settle all cases not covered by the guidelines and to grant exceptions in special cases.