TENTATIVELY RESCHEDULED TO AUGUST 28 - 30, 2019
Connection. A word that by definition means to join together to establish a link, so as to provide access and communication. Connect Beyond Festival has established that link and is using music, film, and storytelling to create connections. More than just an event,Connect Beyond Festival is a movement to develop a network of people inspired by creative mediums and united in the pursuit of equality and social justice. Our goal is to inspire a sense of community and personal engagement.
The Film Programme portion of the Festival showcases Documentary and Narrative Features, and Short Films, with filmmaker Q&A's and Panels and Impact-driven Screenings. The festival brings film together with musical, theatrical, and literary programming, with discussion panels, interviews, performances, and events which are socially relevant, increase a sense of Connection in our world, celebrate art and beauty, and spark dialogue.
Lauded as “Asheville’s version of SXSW” (Ashvegas) this event is perfect for those who are looking for a more dynamic festival experience - one that prioritizes exploration and participation just as much as entertainment. If you’re looking to broaden your horizons, to engage with others, and want to leave a festival with more than just a hangover, Connect Beyond Festival is just the place to be.
PREVIOUS GUEST FILMMAKERS/PANELISTS INCLUDE:
ALBERT BERGER (Oscar-nominated Producer, Peanut Butter Falcon, Nebraska, Little Miss Sunshine) • INDIA OSBORNE (Visual Effects / Production Manager, Blade Runner 2049, Thor) • WILLIAM HORBERG (BAFTA-nominated Producer, The Kite Runner, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Cold Mountain) • ERICA S. BREAM (Casting, Altered Carbon, Star Trek Into Darkness) • JASON LUST (Producer, Peter Rabbit, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day) • JOSH TICKELL (Sundance-winning Director, Fuel, The Big Fix, Pump) • RIKKI LAKE (Producer, Weed the People, The Business of Being Born) • DAVID BRUCKNER (Director, The Ritual, V/H/S) • SOL TRYON (Producer, Bomb the System, Weed the People) • JENNY HALPER (Producer, Development Executive, The Kindergarten Teacher, American Honey) • BEN REKHI (Director, The Ashram, Watch List) • REINHOLD HEIL (Golden Globe nominated composer, Run Lola Run, Cloud Atlas) • LORI KNIGHT (News Producer, 60 Minutes, CNN) • ARI GOLD (Director, The Song of Sway Lake, Adventures of Power)
- Films must feature stories or themes that are socially relevant, inspire a sense of connection, community and personal engagement, celebrate art / beauty, or spark dialogue about important subject matter.
- Completion date of film must be April 1, 2019 or later. Works in progress screenings are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, permits necessary to present their work. Connect Beyond Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work.
- One film per entry fee. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Entrants give permission to Connect Beyond Festival to use stills, titles, copy, and/or information from the submission for promotional purposes.
- Films submitted must be available in English or in the original language with legible English subtitles.
- Initial submissions may be submitted as online digital links, download, DVD, or Blu-ray. Digital submissions are preferred.
- Exhibition format must be DCP, Pro-Res, or Blu-ray.
- Exhibition print supplier will be responsible for the cost of shipment to Connect Beyond Festival. Connect Beyond Festival will return the print postage prepaid to the supplier or to the next destination as indicated by the supplier (Features only). Entry materials and/or Short films will not be returned.
- The Festival is not responsible for damage to or loss of submitted materials incurred by shipping to or from the Festival.
- Under 30 minutes in total runtime, please submit in the Shorts category. Films over 30 minutes in total runtime, please submit to the Feature Narrative or Documentary category.
- All films must be a Regional Premiere at Connect Beyond Festival
- Must not have been or be scheduled for public consumption through any form of public broadcast (including internet) or commercial theatrical engagement in the US prior to festival dates
- Film’s world premiere must have occurred after May 1, 2019