Located in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world for both Fashion and film, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the Canadian International Fashion Film Festival (CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM) curates a unique experience for fashion and film lovers. Bringing the freshest, most creative international content to our festival, events, programming and our online platforms. CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM is increasing access to fashion in new ways and providing a platform for brands and businesses who want to engage directly with those working in fashion and film disciplines.
21 Awards categories range from the coveted CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM Best Fashion Film to Best Student Fashion Film (categories subject to change): BEST: FASHION FILM, DIRECTOR, BRAND, CINEMATOGRAPHY, EDITING, CONCEPT, COSTUME DESIGN, SET DESIGN, MAKE-UP, HAIR, SOCIAL MESSAGE, ECO MESSAGE, NARRATION, ORIGINAL MUSIC, MUSIC VIDEO, DANCE, CGI, COMMONWEALTH, CANADIAN, STUDENT. New Award may include this category: BEST EMERGING FILMMAKER. FEATURE LENGTHS may be SELECTED for special SCREENINGS & PANEL DISCUSSIONS.
FESTIVAL RULES & TERMS:
• Submissions must have a STRONG FASHION theme, with apparel having a clear presence or making a strong statement. Films should display a clear aesthetic.
• Submissions CANNOT contain any PORNOGRAPHY. Also, although nudity can be part of an artistic message, CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM is SENSITIVE to cultural norms: NO nudity is preferred, BUT occasional, semi-covered nudity is evaluated, and accepted CASE BY CASE.
• Submissions must have been completed between January 1, 2022 to present day. Submissions completed earlier than January 1st, 2022 will be considered CASE BY CASE.
• Films that have been released theatrically, broadcast on television, or screened at any number of film festivals are also eligible for submission to the festival and associated events.
• Submissions up to 10 minutes are eligible for SHORT film submission. Films over 10 minutes will also be accepted and reviewed to be considered for stand alone screenings & panel discussions.
• Submissions download links and posters must NOT contain any LAURELS.
• Submitters must own, or have legally procured, the RIGHTS to any and all material submitted.
• Submitters must have access to, and be able to provide to the festival upon request, all releases for talent, music, or any other copy-written materials used in their film.
• Submitters must inform CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM if a minor is part of the film cast and be able to provide a release upon request.
• Submitters who submit under the student category must NOT have worked as filmmakers (paid work). They must have been enrolled in high school or a FIRST degree in a fashion/film school at the time of the filmmaking.
SUBMITTERS MUST PROVIDE:
• Submitters must provide the film's downloadable link (no laurels allowed), a film poster (TITLE + IMAGE, etc), and a minimum of 2 still images, plus a separate thumbnail image (landscape, 2MB limit, 16;9 ratio, 1280x720 (with minimum width of 640 pixels), for use on promoting your film on our Youtube channel)
• Submitters must provide the festival with the filmmaker’s bio & photo, instagram handle, along with a list of the team (and instagram handles where appropriate) and other credits. Filmmakers can also provide a Director's Statement: a brief back-story for their film: why, when, how, who, where.
SUBMITTERS AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
• Submissions imagery, including film and clips, will be available for use in the festival’s promotional activities. Director’s bio/photo, and other film written information will also be available for promotional purposes.
• Submissions will be available for further distribution through our networks and events, streaming channels, and may be used through our membership portals and/or sponsors.
• CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM may publicly display your submission or content from your submission on its website, social platforms, in marketing materials, and on third party platforms.
• The work must be an original work by you or you must be one of the principal creators and therefore have permission to distribute and promote the film publicly and to grant all licensing.
• By submitting any of your films to CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM, you are stating that you own the intellectual property and rights attached to your submission and that you retain ownership of said intellectual property. By submitting any film, you grant and licence CANIFFF / FASHION.FILM and its partners and associations, a worldwide licence to use, edit, distribute, monetize, publicly display, transmit, reproduce, in all media formats now and in the future. The licence will commence the date and time your work is submitted and will continue in perpetuity.
Response from festival:
Thank you Marco. So happy you had such a positive experience with our Festival. We strive to communicate and support each film director (and team) who submits their film to us, as fashion films are an amazing genre that deserves to take an increasing place in the film market. Hope you have an upcoming submission for our next festival edition!
Response from festival:
Merci Benjamin. Each season, we are working hard at highlighting the amazing work we receive. Your film displayed such a great example of what a Fashion Film is all about; the aesthetics and the combination of filmmaking skills made for a beautiful watching and review experience. I also want to mention how thankful we are to you for having supported our Festival with ongoing yearly submissions. CANIFFF loves your work! Looking forward to touching base in person on our 8th Festival Edition !
Response from festival:
Thank you Margo,
Both your film and attendance elevated our Festival. It was wonderful to see how you engaged in great conversations not only with the CANIFFF team, but also with the rest of the guests. A thousand "Thank you" for flying all the way from LA to be with us, and attending our early screenings and panel discussions, despite being probably jet-lagged.
We are so excited for your 2 wins! We will be looking forward to your next Fashion Film and your return to Toronto. :)))