CINEMQ is an unrefined queer underground collective based in Shanghai. We organise events and curate content from around the world, pulling together the filthy and gorgeous of queer world cinema once a month, an eclectic mixtape of short films, visuals and music at some of Shanghai’s best venues. Screenings are always open to all. Glitter is required.
Our program runs throughout the year, with pop-up events hosted around Shanghai.
We also publish a weekly queer screen culture zine, with a focus on China and East Asia. You can read it (and contribute) by visiting CINEMQ.com
0. We screen films which are queer. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, asexual...trans and non-binary, non-hetero sexualities. We're open to broad interpretations of these topics, but please only submit if your film genuinely fits this theme.
1. By submitting, filmmakers confirm that they own or have acquired copyright permission for all materials used in their film.
2. Filmmakers give permission to CINEMQ to screen their submitted work at any of their monthly events during the period year(s) of submission. CINEMQ will notify filmmakers with details of when and when films are being shown.
3. Submitted films should be on a queer subject, or be concerned with LGBTQIA lives and experience. They may be narrative, documentary, experimental, music video, animation or other.
4. Filmmakers may submit in any language. We ask that non-English language films please be subtitled in English. Where possible, we appreciate Simplified Mandarin Chinese subtitles being provided.
5. Films should be less than 15 minutes long. We are likely to give preference to films under 8 minutes in length.
6. There is no entry fee. CINEMQ is a not-for-profit organisation run entirely by volunteers. Please respect this and be sure that your film fits our criteria before submitting.