CINEMQ is a queer cinema collective in Shanghai, run by a group of queers with too much on their minds to sit still for long. We organise events and curate content from around the world, pulling together the filthy and gorgeous of queer world cinema once a month, an eclectic mixtape of short films, visuals and music at some of Shanghai’s best venues. Screenings are always free and open to all.
Our screening program runs throughout the year, with pop-up events hosted around Shanghai.
We also publish content on queer cinema and screen culture, with a focus of China and East Asia. Want to contribute? Message us on social media, or email cinemq.sh [at] gmail [dot] com
Read more about us by visiting CINEMQ.com or by following us on social media.
UPDATE ON 2022 SHANGHAI LOCKDOWN
Earlier this year, Shanghai was placed under a strict 2 month citywide lockdown as part of the zero-covid strategy. Whilst this was functionally lifted on July 1st, many spaces, including our regular screening venues, remain closed.
Whilst this has delayed our scheduled monthly screening programme, we will return to normal operation soon. In the meantime, we are following local rules and regulations, and working closely with venues to bring CINEMQ back to Shanghai as soon as it is safe to do so. We thank filmmakers for their patience and understanding during this difficult time.
1. We screen films which are queer, or engage with issues of gender and non-hetero sexualities. This includes but is not limited to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, asexual, non-binary etc. We're open to broad interpretations of these topics, but please only submit if your film genuinely fits this theme.
2. We accept films from around the world and from all cultures. Filmmakers may submit in any language. We ask that non-English language films please be subtitled in English. Where possible, we appreciate Simplified Chinese subtitles being provided.
3. Films should be less than 20 minutes long. We are likely to give preference to films under 8 minutes in length.
4. Films can be narrative, documentary, experimental, music video, video art...we are open to and actively encourage diverse formats. Please note that we cannot screen explicit depictions of frontal-nudity.
5. By submitting, filmmakers confirm that they own or have acquired copyright permission for all materials used in their film.
6. By submitting, filmmakers give permission to CINEMQ to screen their submitted work at any of our monthly events during the period/year(s) of submission. CINEMQ will notify filmmakers with details of when and when films are being shown.
All stated information, eligibility and submission guidelines, terms and conditions of entry and entry information is subject to change by CINEMQ, without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
CINEMQ is a not-for-profit organisation run entirely by volunteers. Please respect this and be sure that your film fits our criteria before submitting.