CINEMQ is an unrefined queer underground collective based in Shanghai. We organise events and curate content from around the world, pulling together the filthy and gorgeous of queer world cinema once a month, an eclectic mixtape of short films, visuals and music at some of Shanghai’s best venues. Screenings are always free and open to all.
Our program runs throughout the year, with pop-up events hosted around Shanghai.
We also publish a weekly queer screen culture zine, with a focus on China and East Asia. You can read it (and contribute) by visiting CINEMQ.com
1. We screen films which are queer, or concerned with issues of gender or non-hetero sexualities. This includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, asexual, trans and non-binary etc. We're open to broad interpretations of these topics, but please only submit if your film genuinely fits this theme.
2. We accept films from around the world and from all cultures. Filmmakers may submit in any language. We ask that non-English language films please be subtitled in English. Where possible, we appreciate Mandarin Chinese subtitles being provided.
3. Films should be less than 20 minutes long. We are likely to give preference to films under 8 minutes in length.
4. Films can be narrative, documentary, experimental, music video, video art...we are open to and actively encourage diverse formats.
5. By submitting, filmmakers confirm that they own or have acquired copyright permission for all materials used in their film.
6. Filmmakers give permission to CINEMQ to screen their submitted work at any of their monthly events during the period/year(s) of submission. CINEMQ will notify filmmakers with details of when and when films are being shown.
All stated information, eligibility and submission guidelines, terms and conditions of entry and entry information is subject to change by CINEMQ, without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
CINEMQ is a not-for-profit organisation run entirely by volunteers. Please respect this and be sure that your film fits our criteria before submitting.