Breakout Film Festival is a monthly contested international short film festival with an annual event held in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Submissions are open each month, January to December, with a monthly winner subsequently chosen.
In January 2021, the winning film of each monthly contest will be screened at our live event with an overall winner chosen by our esteemed jury.
Our 2019 festival was held on the 15th June 2019 in the world's art & culture capital, Edinburgh. ‘Answer’ directed by Adam Palmer was our inaugural winner of Best Short Film. Breakout Film Festival 2020 will take place in the summer of 2020.
Monthly winners will be awarded our official selection laurel.
Best Short Film (held at the event in January 2021) will be awarded $500 USD, official selection laurel and our coveted trophy.
- Films must be between 1-40 mins in length.
- All narrative genres accepted.
- Filmmakers must have copyright over all footage and soundtrack,
- Film must be of high-quality.
- Filmmakers must submit promotional stills for marketing purposes.
- Open to all nationalities and ages.
- Open to first-time to semi-professional filmmakers.
- We accept films already submitted to and/or selected to other film festival.
- We don't discriminate against any films that have been published online via a video hosting website.
- All films must be produced after January 1, 2016.
- We do not accept free submission/entry waiver.
- Films in a foreign language (other than English) must include subtitles.