Welcome, dear filmmakers & creatives. While most festivals were either postponing or cancelling upcoming editions, BLASTOFF was redefining and expanding its platform. We have almost 50 projects from past seasons now in submission for distribution. Our expansion also includes screenings from our truly exciting, immersive virtual village. For more information on past, current and/or upcoming screenings, take a look here: https://blastoff.us/screenings We'd love you to be a part of all the excitement.
SCREENWRITERS, a great script can launch your career! We submit professional queries, on behalf of high-scoring writers, to Hollywood agents, producers, and/or executives for evaluation. A truly great script could catch the eye of a serious producer or investor, and lead to a production deal. EVERY submission receives insightful written coverage. Features and TV Scripts also receive a template for a professional industry query-letter (with sample pitch for your project) so that you may send out your own queries, if you wish.
Online screenings, potentially, allow thousands of fans all over the world, who might not be able to make it to physical screenings in Los Angeles, to enjoy your work.
The BLASTOFF system to rate and select films for screenings is thorough and fair. The "thumbs up" thumbs down" system of judging is a lazy cop-out. At BLASTOFF we thoroughly score your film across AT LEAST 5 crucial categories, and for add-in submissions (best director, cinematographer, actors, music, stunts, VFX etc. ) 23 possible categories, to arrive at a comprehensive assessment of the work. We've found that WINNERS IN ADD-IN CATEGORY SUBMISSIONS usually make for exciting viewing, and are strong contenders for screening selection.
Using the resources of our festival, we want to help make your experience as wonderful, uplifting, and rewarding as we possibly can. To that end we also offer selected films (shorts and features) for worldwide profit-sharing distribution with a partner hosting site.
BLASTOFF has its own channel which allows us to roll out those regular virtual screenings (followed by live Q&A sessions with filmmakers, when appropriate), pre-release promotions, and many other creative presentations to help you on your path to success. We also issue our beautiful custom laurels YEAR-ROUND to exceptional, high-scoring films. That award qualifies your film for consideration in our final winners' pool.
This model, in total, gives you so much more potential exposure than a single, live screening (although that's a thrill not to be downplayed) to an enormous movie-loving public, to your fans and followers, and to people who may want to work with you on future projects, industry movers and shakers including producers, directors, potential investors, agents, great actors, and terrific crew members. Talent and success are magnets for industry people! It's a chance to skyrocket your credibility and respect in the industry! We call it BLASTOFF EXPOSURE.
BLASTOFF celebrates the dedication and hard work of above AND below-the-line team-members. Submission categories eligible for awards, include BEST PERFORMER (non gender specific), MUSIC, CINEMATOGRAPHY, STUNT-WORK, and so many more. Take a look the awards list.
SONGWRITERS, FILM-SCORE COMPOSERS, and SOUND DESIGNERS, you elevate a film to places it could never go without your talent. We know that, and we salute you with categories specific to you and awards to honor your work.
"The BLASTOFF dedication and love for film and filmmakers is boundless."
When you submit to BLASTOFF you gain access to a world which can offer filmmakers wonderful, uplifting rewards for their creativity, courage, and the massive energy required to make a film. It's a life-changing opportunity! Take it. You've earned it. You deserve BLASTOFF EXPOSURE.
Again, you don't have to wait until notification date to get a BLASTOFF laurel on your poster. We issue our beautiful, custom-designed "Nominee" laurels year-round.
All winners are eligible for BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM-DESIGNED AWARD LAURELS.
Awards will be made, if appropriate, as follows.
An InkTip prize package for up to three (3) film festival winners
Master of the Logline
Best Screenplay opening 5 pages
Best Television Script
Best Screenplay Feature
Best Screenplay Short Film
Best Student Director
Acting - Best Lead Performer
Acting - Best Lead Performers (two or more)
Acting - Best Cast
Best Stunt Work
Best Feature Film
Best Animated Short Film
Best Student Film
Best Short Film
Best Web/TV episode
Best Sound Design
Best Song in a film
Best Original Score
Best Original Score in an unfinished project
Best Visual FX
Please note that we reserve the right to add, update, change, or cancel any awards or festival events, possibly without or on very short notice, depending on current or future developments due to the Covid-19 pandemic and/or changing status of agreements with vendors, sponsors, partners, and/or co-promoters.
Welcome, dear filmmaker. We are thrilled that you're considering a BLASTOFF submission.
Note that we sometimes use the word "participant" instead of "submitter", as "participant" includes the submitter, but may also include others who participate in festival business, such as a producer or director, or someone participating in screenings or Q&A sessions, who may not be the actual submitter of a particular film.
Please read the rules, terms, stipulations, and guidelines, collectively "Policies", below. All participants are bound by these Policies.
In order to qualify for an award or screening, please only submit films which are of exceptional technical quality, preferably HD (1920x1080) with exceptional sound mastering and balance. Sound may be stereo or 5.1 surround.
1. A valid submission ("entry") must consist of, at least, your FilmFreeway project and applicable submission fee/s. Optional add-in categories for your entry may ONLY be submitted together with, or if you already have, a valid submission. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted. Any add-in category submitted without the accompanying film submission will be ineligible for an award.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a link on the submission platform, or via Vimeo or YouTube (with password, if required). If the link is found to be inactive, the submission will be deemed disqualified. No other form of submission is acceptable. If you are unable or unwilling to provide BLASTOFF a password and download access, please DO NOT SUBMIT.
3. Script analyses will be done by BLASTOFF selected judges only. BLASTOFF will administer final ratings and judging status.
4. If your submission is selected for screening or investor presentation, upon request, you may be required to submit a clean, screening-ready DCP, or a H.264 1080p copy, to BLASTOFF within 7 days of the notification date. To qualify for screening, copies MUST arrive on time. DCPs must be clearly labeled with film title, running time (Hr:min:sec), Flat or Scope aspect ratio, and producers' and directors' names.
5. Films must have been completed no more than 3 years before our event date. Films selected must be available for screening during the BLASTOFF event.
6. Films or scripts (“entries”) may only be submitted to BLASTOFF once. However, films or screenplays which have been substantially altered may be resubmitted as a new project.
7. Films that are publicly available online prior to the Festival event date or films with distribution in any region of the world, or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network, or that have screened on a television network or cable television or have been distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for special screening/s with proof (presented by the submitter) of all required legal screening authorization/s.
8. Private invite-only screenings (for instance for cast and crew or donors) do not affect a film’s eligibility.
9. BLASTOFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible (invalid) entries, without a refund.
10. PROFIT-SHARING SCREENINGS. Certain films may be selected and submitter offered a screening (extra-screening, separate from the official, current festival screenings). Submitter is under no obligation to accept the offer. If accepted, submitter agrees to the screening and to participate in a profit-sharing deal, percentages to be determined case-by-case. Submitter will receive a detailed accounting for the screening. Submitter warrants that submitter is authorized to 1) sanction, and participate in, the extra-screening, 2) agree to, and accept, the profit share on behalf of all who have a financial interest in the submission, and 3) assume full responsibility for making disbursements from that share as agreed with those interested parties. Note that entries in a current festival run are not paid for screenings.
11. Films that are selected to screen for the official festival run may not necessarily be eligible for award purposes. Notifications regarding selection for awards may occur subsequent to notifications of selection for exhibition.
12. Each submission, including a work-in-progress, will be judged as a completed work. Entries may be updated with a more recent version. However, once the entry has been judged, no further versions will be eligible for judging.
13. Films will be watched with the selected genre in mind. BLASTOFF reserves the right to switch the category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests, however, films will not be penalized for the original submission selection.
14. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant will be responsible for any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by BLASTOFF in connection with the dispute.
15. Ensure that you have provided a correct and functional email address, which is crucial for the purposes of our notifications and possible updates. We cannot take any responsibility for missed notifications, which will be sent out via email.
16. All payments must be made via the FilmFreeway portal. We cannot accept any other form of payment.
17. Films must be the original work of the participant/s. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, participant/s must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of participant/s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that all necessary rights have been secured .
18. Participant/s are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films or promotional materials, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. BLASTOFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
19. For any and all promotional purposes BLASTOFF is hereby granted the unrestricted right to utilize any segments, edits, or excerpts from any video, sound, or graphics pertaining to the submission, whether available from the festival platform or not. Submitter accepts all responsibility for such use, and will notify the festival in a timely manner should the use of any such media become restricted.
Multiple entries in various categories are allowed, each with a separate entry fee.
BLASTOFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules) to disclose any of the following information:
i) identities of screeners or judges
ii) notes, feedback, or any information relating to a submitted project or screening
iii) details regarding submission reviews, selection processes, or screening data.
Any comments, notes, or opinions ( "opinions") expressed by BLASTOFF staff, judges, associates, or volunteers are their personal opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of BLASTOFF ownership or management ("Management"). Management explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for such opinions.
Judges’ decisions are final, and not subject to dispute by any other parties. In the event of a judges’ deadlock, the final decision rests with the festival director.
Winners receiving prizes which carry cash equivalents are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
Press materials and any other physical submissions to the festival will not be returned under any circumstances.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
I have read all of the rules, understand and have complied with these rules, and assume full responsibility for any non-compliance.
I warrant that I am authorized to participate and that there are no disputes regarding a submission, screening, or other participation.
I also warrant that submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I understand that failure to adhere to any competition rules and terms will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee/s.
I acknowledge that the festival will not provide a refund for any entry fee.
PARTICIPANT HEREBY AGREES TO ABIDE BY ALL FESTIVAL POLICIES AND STIPULATIONS AND TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH PARTICIPATION, AND FROM ANY FEES AND/OR EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
If any provision of these Policies is held unenforceable in any district, then BLASTOFF may modify such provision for, or consider it void, in that district. All remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
As circumstances change it may become necessary to amend these Policies, possibly without notice, from time to time. Participants agree to be bound by any Policies, current or as amended.
If you disagree with, or do not wish to consent to the Policies or any part thereof, please do not submit any material or participate in the use of any of the Services. If you do access, use, or participate in the use of any, or any part, of the Services, you agree that you are, or the business or entity for which you are an agent is, thereby bound by all of the current Policies and those that may be incorporated into the Policies from time to time.