Welcome, dear filmmakers & creatives. While most festivals are either postponing or cancelling their 2020 editions, BLASTOFF is expanding to include screenings in the digital space, AND, subject to ticket thresholds, BLASTOFF offers high-scoring filmmakers (not just the winning films) profit-sharing virtual screenings (separate from the official festival run) , which could equal a REFUND OF YOUR SUBMISSION FEE many times over. Films with one or more winning submissions in any of the add-in categories (best director, cinematographer, actors, music, etc. ) are given higher selection-priority.
Presenting online screenings ensures that, potentially, thousands of fans all over the world who might not be able to make it to physical screenings in Los Angeles will still be able to enjoy your work, AND it'll be possible to talk to them in a live Q&A and also to answer questions via our chat forum. Online Q&A sessions can be a blast for everyone, and have a certain advantage over the onsite version. Normally onsite sessions don’t feel that personal when held with an audience of hundreds in a big room. Having it digital, even with fewer people, seems far more intimate.
Using the resources of our festival, we want to help make your experience as wonderful, uplifting, and rewarding as we possibly can, with red-carpet screenings in Los Angeles (Covid-19 restrictions permitting), live-streaming screenings AND on-demand streaming opportunities. We also offer selected films (shorts and features) for worldwide profit-sharing distribution, with submissions made available to Netflix, Amazon, and another 70+ outlets (that's right... 70+) all around the globe.
BLASTOFF also has its own channel which allows us to roll out those regular virtual screenings (followed by live Q&A sessions with filmmakers, when appropriate), pre-release promotions, and many other creative presentations to help you on your path to success. Apart from the exposure, such a screening would qualify your film as an "Official Selection", and entitle you to display the beautiful custom-designed laurel on your poster, BEFORE the season ends. We also issue our beautiful "nominee" laurels YEAR-ROUND to exceptional, high-scoring films. That award qualifies your film for consideration in our final winners' pool.
This model, in total, gives you so much more potential exposure than a single, live screening (although that's a thrill not to be downplayed) to an enormous movie-loving public, to your fans and followers, and to people who may want to work with you on future projects, industry movers and shakers including producers, directors, potential investors, agents, great actors, and terrific crew members. Talent and success are magnets for industry people! It's a chance to skyrocket your credibility and respect in the industry! We call it BLASTOFF EXPOSURE.
"The BLASTOFF dedication and love for film and filmmakers is boundless... factor in... up to $125,000 production opportunity, up to $10,000 in worldwide distribution opportunities, red-carpet live screenings in Los Angeles, regular virtual events with
filmmaker profit-sharing, year-round laurel awards... and it amounts to one festival you should seriously consider. BLASTOFF is it ! The rewards and benefits for great films and screenplays are fantastic..."
SCREENWRITERS, take a look at a $125,000 production opportunity in the AWARDS section.
BLASTOFF celebrates the dedication and hard work of above AND below-the-line team-members. Submission categories eligible for awards, include BEST PERFORMER (non gender specific), MUSIC, CINEMATOGRAPHY, STUNT-WORK, and so many more. Take a look the awards list.
SONGWRITERS, FILM-SCORE COMPOSERS, and SOUND DESIGNERS, you elevate a film to places it could never go without your talent. We know that, and we salute you with categories specific to you and awards to honor your work.
When you submit to BLASTOFF you gain access to a world which can offer filmmakers wonderful, uplifting rewards for their creativity, courage, and the massive energy required to make a film. It's a life-changing opportunity! Take it. You've earned it. You deserve BLASTOFF EXPOSURE.
Again, you don't have to wait until notification date to get a BLASTOFF laurel on your poster. We issue our beautiful, custom-designed "Nominee" and "Official Selection" laurels year-round.
The nominee laurel goes to exceptional, high-scoring films and add-in category submissions. That award qualifies your film for consideration in our season-end winners' pool and for selection in our profit-sharing, standalone virtual-screenings. Films selected for our regular virtual screenings are awarded the "Official Selection" laurel.
ONE TRULY OUTSTANDING SCRIPT MAY BE SELECTED FOR PRODUCTION (value up to approximately $125,000) and worldwide distribution by the multi award-winning LunarSea® Studios. BUT... it must be a truly outstanding script. The selected script will be made as an animated CGI film. It doesn't necessarily have to be written for animation - the last LunarSea® production-script was written for live action, and was beautifully adapted by LunarSea® for CGI animation. See the trailer here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZK6kR7dwMs
SHOW THE WORLD DISTRIBUTION AWARD
Select films will be eligible for a profit-sharing digital distribution package for submission to streaming and sales outlets all over the world. By industry standards, this award could be worth up-to $10,000 in discounted QC and submission preparation fees.
VIRTUAL SCREENINGS with profit-sharing
for certain high-scoring winning films and add-in categories.
LUNARSEA ® STUDIOS script production (see above).
All winners are eligible for BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM-DESIGNED AWARD LAURELS.
Awards will be made, if appropriate, as above, and as follows.
Master of the Logline
Best Screenplay opening 5 pages
Best Student Director
Acting - Best Lead Performer
Acting - Best Leading Team
Acting - Best Ensemble
Best Stunt Work
Best Feature Film
Best Animated short film
Best Student Film
Best Short Film
Best Web/TV episode
Best Sound Design
Best Song in a film
Best Original Score
Best Original Score in an unfinished project
Best Visual FX
Best Title/Credits Design
Please note that we reserve the right to add, update, change, or cancel any awards or festival events, possibly without or on very short notice, depending on current or future developments due to the Covid-19 pandemic and/or changing status of agreements with vendors, sponsors, partners, and/or co-promoters.
BLASTOFF COMPETITION RULES
Please read the rules carefully. They govern all submissions to the BlastOff Festival.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREE/S TO ABIDE BY ALL FESTIVAL RULES AND TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND BLASTOFF AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
In order to qualify for a "Show the World" international distribution award, please only submit films which are of exceptional technical quality, and preferably HD (1920x1080). The best VOD outlets will not consider adding inferior quality footage to their catalogs.
1. Each submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee and a completed online entry form. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a link on the submission platform, or via Vimeo or YouTube (with password, if required). No other form of submission is acceptable. If you are unable or unwilling to provide BLASTOFF a password and download access, please DO NOT SUBMIT.
3. If the link is found to be inactive, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
4. If your submission is selected for screening or investor presentation you will be required to submit a clean, screening-ready DCP to BLASTOFF within 7 days of the notification date. To qualify for screening, copies MUST arrive on time, and be clearly labeled with film title, running time (Hr:min:sec), Flat or Scope aspect ratio, and producers' and directors' names.
5. Films must have been completed no more than 3 years before our event date. Films selected must be available for screening during the BLASTOFF event.
6. Films or scripts (“entries”) may only be submitted to BLASTOFF once, and are not eligible for re-submission.
7. Films with distribution in any region of the world, or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network, or that have screened on a television network or cable television or have been distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are ineligible for competition and the “Best of the Best” award, but may be considered for a special screening. Entrants are not obliged to sign a distribution deal, whether the film is eligible, or not. To see some of the festival distribution details please go to the "distribution" page at www.BlastOff.us .
8. Short films that are publicly available online prior to the Festival event date may be considered for exhibition during the Festival, but will be ineligible for awards.
9. Private invite-only screenings (for instance for cast and crew or donors) do not affect a film’s eligibility.
10. BLASTOFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
11. Films that are selected to screen at the Festival may not necessarily be eligible for award purposes. Notifications regarding selection for awards may occur subsequent to notifications of acceptance for exhibition.
12. Each submission, including a work-in-progress, will be judged as a completed work. Entries may be updated with a more recent version. However, once the entry has been judged, no further versions will be eligible for judging.
13. Films will be watched with the selected genre in mind. BLASTOFF reserves the right to switch the category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests, however, films will not be penalized for the original submission selection.
14. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by BLASTOFF in connection with the dispute.
15. Ensure that you have provided a correct and functional email address, which is crucial for the purposes of our notifications and possible updates. We cannot take any responsibility for missed notifications, which will be sent out via email.
16. All payments must be made via the FilmFreeway portal. We cannot accept any other form of payment.
17. Films must be the original work of the applicant/s. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant/s must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of applicant/s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
18. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films or promotional materials, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. BLASTOFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
19. For any and all promotional purposes BLASTOFF is hereby granted the unrestricted right to utilize any segments, edits, or excerpts from any video, sound, or graphics pertaining to the submission, whether available from the festival platform or not. Submitter accepts all responsibility for such use, and will notify the festival in a timely manner should the use of any such media become restricted.
Multiple entries in various categories are allowed, each with a separate entry fee.
BLASTOFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules) to disclose any of the following information:
i) identities of screeners or judges
ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to a submitted project
iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
Any comments, notes, or opinions ( "opinions") expressed by BLASTOFF staff, judges, or volunteers are their personal opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of BLASTOFF ownership or management ("Management"). Management explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for such opinions.
Judges’ decisions are final, and not subject to dispute by any other parties. In the event of a judges’ deadlock, the final decision rests with the program director.
Winners receiving prizes which carry cash equivalents are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
Press materials and any other physical submissions to the festival will not be returned under any circumstances.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
I have read all of the rules, understand and have complied with these rules, and assume full responsibility for any non-compliance.
I warrant that I am authorized to make the submission and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee/s.
I acknowledge that BLASTOFF will not provide a refund for any entry fee.