Culture arises, where people meet. To have all filmmakers here we make sure you get your visa and accomodate you for the entire festival period. The Arc Film Festival is an International Film Festival with the credo to create a place, where encounters occur and the interests of the filmmakers take center stage.
We want to make sure that the filmmakers join our venue, therefore we make sure to create a framework where everyone get can the most out of. The program includes the Breakfast with Filmmakers, the Directors' Coffee and several so called Scene-Talks. The independent-scene will be connected with established personalities. All persons involved are to be brought together to discover innovative approaches with the new media and get them thinking about original concepts. During the Arc Film Festival we create space for inspiration and conversation.
Besides that we want to strengthen Mainz as an important media-location in Germany and create a new platform for personalities of the film industry to interact. The artistic movies and personal atmosphere shall motivate for interesting discussions and let the film festival grow to an extraordinary event.
In the start year 2017 we presented a selection of 17 movies, which were produced independently. We offer those wonderful movies a stage with an interested audience and also make them the basis for inspiring discussions. We want to establish a platform for filmmakers and their followers where there is plenty of room for discussions.
We are looking forward to seeing you and your masterpiece!
Sincere thanks and kind regards,
Your Team from Arc Film Festival
The prizes are endowed by production companies that encourage ongoing filmmakers, by now we had 9,500.000 € prize monies. The Arc is flexible: The jury will depict every year new awards. The "Arc of Senses" (Der Arc der Sinne) award can be seen as the grand prize and will be given every Year. Depending on the submitted films the jury will depict every year in what specific way the Arc of Senses will be given. A film with an outstanding Sound design could be given the Arc of Senses because it is very sensual for the "ear". In 2017 a movie won that was seen as a self-contained master piece.
Last years following categories have been awarded with prizes monies: Best Visual Storytelling, Special Narrative Style, New Media Award, Best Feature, Greatest Risk, Civil Eye, Best Scenography, Fresh View Award, Special Prize of the Jury, Audience Choice and Prize and of course the The Arc of Senses.
1. The Competition
- Our Film Festival lives of the good communication and the chances of networking in a super relaxed environment. Therefore we kindly ask our jury to choose films from which the filmmaker is able to attend at the festival. Because your personal attendance enriches our prospects to unite and create a propulsive movement.
- The prize monies are endowed directly by companies from the industry. Since 2017 we award the Arc of Senses, which is open to every work in the Official Selection. In 2019 we awarded the “Rheinland-Pfalz Film- und Förderpreis” for the very first time, because the state of RLP is still the only one without an institutionalised film promotion. In the past years the following categories have been awarded with prizes monies: Best Visual Storytelling, Special Narrative Style, New Media Award, Best Feature, Greatest Risk, Civil Eye, Best Scenography, Fresh View Award, Special Prize of the Jury, Audience Choice and Prize and of course the The Arc of Senses.
- If selected we will need 3 Still images in a high resolution as well as one picture of the director to present you well in our print and online media. The film is required to have English subtitles if the original language is not English. The festival may produce German subtitles for projection copies at the festival‘s expense. In order to produce the subtitle copy for the festival screening the festival has the permission to copy the film file and to add subtitles. The submitter may be entitled to receive the copy. Both parties may negotiate the hand over.
- We take protection of your data very seriously. Please note that when submitting to the Arc Film Festival you accept that we are saving your data including contact information and details to your film.
- We are working on a platform to support filmmakers beyond the possibilities that we have provided so far. We also consider attending filmmakers for this program and may contact you.
- In the category "360°" and "Video Installations" we only accept films no longer then five minutes. All works submitted into this category that does not meet our expectations in social context or doesn't match the length will be disqualified.
2. General Regulations
- In general we are happy to receive films from different genres and do not wish to not set any limits on creativity. However, please be informed that we reserve the right to exclude any film which is considered racist or glorifies violence.
- If a film is in a language other than English or German, it must have English subtitles (or be dubbed) in order to be considered.
- We recommend that you submit the best possible quality of your film. You may choose from the following formats: .mov, .mp4, oder .avi. For the submission, the file should not be larger than 2 GB. Should you wish to submit another format, we kindly request a brief consultation with us. (If your film makes the selection, a larger file (like DCP) will be handed in later for the screening.)
- Please submit your film via a password-protected streaming-link, that gives an option to download or send us a direct link to download (additionally to the registration via Filmfreeway). Please prepare this link in advance of beginning your online film entry form. (If you are unable or unwilling to submit your film by URL link, please contact our team through firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find an alternate method for your entry).
- Please attach a synopsis that has no fewer then 25 words to your submission.
- The year of completion film may not be dated before 2018.
3. The Advancement Award RLP - Der Rheinland-Pfälzische Film- und Förderpreis
- The participation and submission of this specific category is open to talents from the only state without an institutionalised film promotion.
RLP films are defined by either of the following characteristics:
a. made by a filmmaker from the region of Rhineland Palitinate
b. made by a alumnus/a from one of the academies/universities in RLP