In an effort to keep our team, guests and islands safe and under the guidance of Greek state, we have decided to postpone the dates of the festival for August 2020 while discussing the option of hosting an online version later in the summer.
The submission deadlines will be postponed accordingly to the 14th of July 2020 and the notification date for the shortlisted films will now be the 22nd of July 2020. We are committed to continue promoting new films and ideas while moving forward toward the creation of the 10th Aegean Film Festival.
Until we meet again stay healthy, stay connected, stay inspired …
In 2010 the Aegean Film Festival was founded as a way of bringing together filmmaking communities while introducing a meeting point and a celebration of independent cinema in the heart of the Greek summer.
These past ten years the Festival has been consistently presenting fiction and documentary programmes and providing support towards local communities, despite the numerous challenges we had to face.
Now more than ever, we believe it is our responsibility to continue our mission of presenting compelling stories and inspiring ideas - so necessary in times of crisis - and push forward towards creating the 10th Aegean Film Festival this summer. We hope we will all meet on the islands after COVID-19 is over.
Stay healthy, stay home, stay inspired …
In 2010 a film festival was born in Patmos island; surrounded by friends and colleagues who believed in the vision to create a filmmakers’ meeting point on the Aegean. Since then the Aegean Film Festival has transformed into an international festival and platform for the development of new projects and ideas and the promotion of unique works.
The Festival has the mission to educate, entertain, and invite filmmakers and artists to a unique celebration of cinema. The Festival Team is delighted and honoured to invite and filmmakers in the islands of Patmos and Paros in order to present their work to both international and local audiences.
The Festival provides flawless screening conditions in open air cinemas, stress free times for networking, inspiring seminars and events and finally the chance to promote films beyond Greece through collaborations with festivals across the globe.
The AegeanFF Programming team curates an average of 8 film programmes per year consisting of fiction feature films, documentaries and short films. Each year, the festival introduces more than 30 premieres on both a national and an international level as well as guests programmes from festivals and organisations around the world such as Sundance Channel, Ivy Film Festival, London Short Film Festival and Barnes Film Festival.
In 2016, the Aegean Film Festival launched the environmental programme “Echoes”, an international summit for filmmakers, writers, scientists, philanthropists, environmentalists and opinion leaders where they can gather together to find sustainable solutions to pressing issues of our planet. The programme is consisted of documentary screenings, Q&A’s, panel talks, presentations, workshops, dinner events and a sustainability summit aiming to create an environmental global impact model that can be replicated internationally .
In 2017 the Festival introduced the award for Best International Short Film which was later followed with the addition of Best Greek Short Film Award as well as two Audience Awards for Best Feature Film and Best Documentary Feature.
For this year’s edition, the programming team is working with the guidance of the festival’s advisory board which includes: Frédéric Boyer (Artistic Dir. Tribeca FF), Alexander Payne (Film Director), Alin Tasciyan (FIPRESCI), Robert Dick (Sundance Institute), Marco Frazier (AMC Networks), Thanassis Karathanos (Film Producer), Jesper Jack (Documentary Producer) and Dimitris Michalakis (Cosmote TV).
Best Aegean Short Film
Jury Award € 3000,00*
Best Greek Short Film
Jury Award € 1000,00*
Aegean Short Film Special Mention
(*) To be awarded in the form of a cash prize or distribution deal in Greece
To Be Announced Soon
All selected filmmakers enjoy:
1. Accommodation for three nights
2. Festival Guest Pass providing access to all screenings, seminars, networking events, dinners and parties on both islands
3. Discount on partner festival businesses (incl. restaurants, bars, rentals, hotels)
4. Films to be screened as part of curated programmes, presented by AegeanFF in Affiliated Festivals (Optional)
The Aegean Film Festival:
01. Aegean Film Festival is a non-profit organization supporting artists and filmmakers from around the world.
02. The 10th edition of the Aegean Film Festival takes place from the 14th until the 19th of July in the island of Paros and from the 21st until the 26th of July in the island of Patmos, Greece.
03. The submissions of the Aegean Film Festival are open to films of different genres, techniques, production types and budgets.
04. The accepted running times of the films differ according to the category submitted: Feature Documentaries and Fiction Films – 50 minutes or longer
Short Films – up to 20 minutes
05. The Aegean Film Festival has no premiere status rule but keeps the right to reject works that are available online.
06. The primary contact submitting the film to the festival must have full authorization to do so, including permission from the film’s distributor, sales agent and representing body.
07. Film and personal details are available to Aegean Film Festival and will not be shared with other organizations outside the festival.
08. The Festival reserves the right to keep the submitter's data in order to share news future news or events.
09. The Festival accepts full responsibility for protecting the copyrights for the period of time that the films are in the Festival’ s possession, and will act to ensure that no theft or breach of copyright will occur.
10. All applicants will be notified about the selection or rejection of their film on the Monday the 1st of June 2020.
11. Aegean Film Festival accepts submission via the Aegean Film Festival website and FilmFreeway. The following platforms will then ask for an external online link such as Vimeo in order for the selection team to review the film.
12. The Festival may, but is not required to, permit certain selected films to be screened in alternative formats. The cost of shipping prints/hard drives to the festival must be met by the applicant. The Festival will pay for one-way shipping of all prints/hard drives, by forwarding them to their next destination, within two weeks of the conclusion of the festival. Any customs or duties charges will be the responsibility of the producer/distributor. The festival does not pay screening fees for films submitted through the submission platforms.
13. The applicant is responsible that the submission file is in full working order.
Foreign Language Films:
14. If the original language of any dialogue or text featured in the film is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English, unless this is at variance with the filmmaker’s intention.
15. The films submitted will be reviewed by at least three members of the selection team. The final decision will be confirmed by the Programming Team of the Festival.
16. The festival will not provide comments on the films prior to the submission deadline. However, we are happy to provide applicants with feedback after the completion of the festival. Note that this is a non-binding commitment.
17. An exhibition quality screening version of the film (Quicktime Prores 4:2:2, DCP-24, or other format agreed to with the Festival) should be available once the film is selected.
18. The applicant authorizes Aegean Film Festival to file their film in the festival archive, where it may be made available for further screenings or events promoted by the festival itself, solely for cultural and not for commercial purposes. The festival will always request permission and give reasonable notice before proceeding with any further screening. The festival will never allow any third-party access to the film without the submitter's permission.
19. The Festival, as part of its year-round initiatives, reserves the right to include submitted films, regardless of their selection status, to screen at the AegeanFF Winter Editions, in Patmos and Paros for the benefit of the local population of the islands, the volunteers and team of the festival and the promotion of independent cinema. Those screenings will have free admission and will be open to the public.
20. Information provided including film details, stills and contact information for all selected films, WILL be published in the Festival Catalogue, which will be made available to the Festival delegates, the AegeanFF website and other online platforms for the promotion of the Festival and its program as well as it may be reprinted in future editions of the catalogue and/or newsletters.
21. The applicant of a selected film agrees that up to three minutes of their film may be used by the Festival in promotional activities including screening a clip on television and/or on the festival website, and/or on the screens at the Festival venues (trailers included).
22. All films chosen to be part of the Aegean Film Festival must agree to use the “Official Selection” logo of AegeanFF on all publicity.
23. In the event of disagreement concerning the interpretation of the regulations, the interpretation of the festival will take precedence.
24. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in the submission being disqualified.
25. These regulations are subject to change without prior notice.
26. The applicant agrees that they have secured all necessary rights for both picture and sound, and exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights including but not limited to music, images, and content.
27. Submissions may NOT be withdrawn from the Festival once they have been selected and after the notification date of the applicants, except at the sole discretion of the Festival.
28. By agreeing to proceed with your submission you are agreeing to these regulations and your application can then be processed. Entry of a film is binding and implies acceptance of these regulations.
Attending the Festival:
29. The Aegean Film Festival encourages all selected filmmakers to attend the festival, and offers guest passes to each film selected. Email email@example.com for further assistance on discounts and other information.
30. For all inquires please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org