The 512 Film Festival gives student filmmaker’s the opportunity to have their short film seen by an audience and be rewarded for their creative works. The festival wants to praise strides that student filmmakers are making to make positive changes in the industry promoting diversity and creativity.
All proceeds from submission fees will be donated to SeriousFun Children’s Network. SeriousFun is a global community of 30 camps and programs for seriously ill children. All camps and programs offer free recreational experiences to children with serious illnesses and their family members. You can learn more about SeriousFun and all of the good they do at www.seriousfunnetwork.org.
*We are very excited to give back to our local “512” community by offering a high school submission category for local schools in the Austin, Texas community. Students may submit any genre of film to this category and have the opportunity to watch their film on the big screen! The winner’s school will be rewarded a $1000 donation.
The festival is hosted by the Lambda chapter of DKA, the Professional Cinema Society. The mission of DKA is to foster lifelong character, collaborative and creative storytelling, ethical and productive business practices, philanthropic action, and fraternal bonds by and between students of the cinematic arts. You can learn more about our organization at TexasDKA.org.
Awards & Prizes
The festival wishes to help student filmmakers make their future projects and that is why some of the awards we are giving out come with either film equipment we recommend or grant money for a future film. The award categories are currently:
Best Dramatic Short Film
Best Comedic Short Film
Best “512” Short
Young Filmmaker Award*
Along with special recognition to films that highlight diversity in gender and race amongst their cast and crew.
Rules & Terms
* All applicants must be student productions. Films are not required to be class projects but class projects will be accepted.
* The director and producer of a production both must have been students during production of the film to be eligible. Must submit proof after submitting the film.
* Film must have been completed after January 2016 to be eligible. Any film completed before this date is ineligible.
* There are no premiere status requirements.
* Entry fees are non-refundable.
* Only short films under 20 minutes in length will be considered.
* Only shorts made by high school students from Austin, Texas will be considered in the High School Student Short category.
Applicants agree that '512 Film Festival' reserves the right to choose all films to be shown and awarded prizes. By Submitting to the 512 Film Festival, you agree to have your film shown during the festival dates, and to have your film promoted in accordance with the rules. You agree that you are in possession of all rights to images, likenesses, and music in your film. Your fee paid to 512 Film Festival is in consideration of acceptance to the festival, and you are not selling any rights to your film, and 512 Film Festival does not own any permanent rights to your film. 512 Film Festival and the organization hosting the festival, Delta Kappa Alpha, have the right to use images from your film on its website and in promotional materials for the festival.