‘Why Document the Truth?’
Each edition of the 3 Generations Youth Video Contest uses a question or statement as a prompt and one of our award-winning films as inspiration.
This year the prompt is "Why document the truth?" and the film is Tricked (2010).
Darnella Frazier's courageous action of recording the murder of George Floyd changed the world. What would have happened if she hadn’t had the foresight to film what she witnessed that day? Darnella’s footage shows the enormous power a documentary can wield.
3 Generations’ award-winning feature documentary Tricked offers the definitive portrait of sex trafficking in America today. The culmination of three years of filming in cities across the country, Tricked chronicles the brutal world of trafficking in cities such as Boston, Denver, Las Vegas, Orange County, Los Angeles and New York.
This contest encourages young people aged 16 to 26 to explore human rights and the truth through videography and filmmaking. It seeks work that will have impact and engage young people in changing the world.
Qualifying videos must be between 45 seconds and 5 minutes in length. They must in some way reflect the prompts and contain original work.
The 3 Generations Video Youth Contest culminates in an online film festival where all short-listed films will be presented to audiences free of charge.
Two cash prizes of $500 each will be awarded to winners during the festival.
3 Generations wants this contest to reach as many filmmakers as possible. Please share with your communities, and on social media. 3 Generations seeks diverse submissions representing multiple worldviews and cultural backgrounds.
We recommend watching our film Tricked available on our website and on Amazon Prime, for inspiration, but it is not compulsory.
Please contact us through Instagram (@3_generations) or Facebook (@3Generations) if you have any questions.
There will be two $500 cash prizes in the following categories:
Judges Choice: A prize decided by the judges of the contest.
Viewers Choice: A prize voted on by the public.
Judges will check for adherence to these Rules, including eligibility, compliance with all terms (copyright regulations, conduct, etc.), film length, format, and age restrictions. Films will be judged by a panel of artists, civic leaders and industry professionals and evaluated by the quality and content of the film and its ability to educate, inspire, and raise awareness of the film’s topic.
Each entry will be judged on its own merit, based on the established criteria.
1. Contest deadline is March 7, 2022.
2. Applicants must be between 16-26 years of age.
3. Submissions must be of a minimum duration of 45 seconds and maximum of 5 minutes including credits.
4. There are no geographical restrictions on submissions.
5. Submissions from individual applicants only, although applicants may solicit friends to help with their project.
6. One submission is allowed per applicant.
7. The contest only accepts submissions via FilmFreeway. Once your registration details have been completed, you will be able to upload your film as a digital file, or to provide a password-protected Vimeo link.
8. The contest will not confirm the receipt of submissions and preview copies. All applicants will be notified via email about the selection or rejection of their film.
9. Upon submission, the applicant grants 3 Generations the right to screen the submission online, and use material from submission for promotional purposes over a period of 12 months from the date of contest closure.
10. The competition requires premiere status for the online screening of prize-winning films. Any submissions available online prior to the online screening or previously screened publicly will be disqualified.
11. Submissions may not contain material that infringes another’s copyright or licensing rights or otherwise infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights. With this submission, the applicant confirms that they possess all rights necessary for the screening of the submission for this video contest.
12. In the event of any copyright infringement, the entrant accepts full legal responsibility.
13. If the original language of any dialogue or text featured in the submission is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English.
14. All submissions with messages that are deemed inappropriate or offensive will be disqualified.
15. Any person(s) appearing in your video (including but not limited to persons videotaped, quoted, or recorded) must provide consent.
16. At the point of submission you will be asked if you have read and agreed with the festival’s regulations. By agreeing to proceed with your submission you are agreeing to these regulations and your application can then be processed. Entry of a film is binding and implies acceptance of these regulations.
17. In the event of disagreement concerning the interpretation of the regulations, the interpretation of 3 Generations and the contest is final.
18. Failure to comply with these regulations will result in the submission being disqualified.
19. These regulations are subject to change without prior notice.
20. Any queries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org