15 Second Horror Film Challenge is a nonprofit international filmmaking contest in which celebrity judges decide the top fifteen second horror films and conventions screen our greatest hits before audiences worldwide!
2018 LIVE SCREENING VENUE of our 2017 greatest hits:
Saturday, May 5 at 9 PM - 10 PM PDT 2018
Doubletree Hotel, SeaTac, Washington 98188
WHAT TO EXPECT
1. Submit your film through 15secondhorror.ca -- supply the file and notify who directed the film. Scroll down for our Rules & Terms.
2. You’ll receive notification within a timely fashion whether your film was accepted or not. Upon request, official selection laurels are available.
3. Stay tuned to our Facebook for all updates and coverage.
4. In late October, the opening kick-off montage premieres! This features most films. If your film was not included, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t accepted.
5. On Halloween, all of the current season’s entries premiere!
6. From November into December, we have two separate judge panels processing their votes: (1) a community award panel determines various categories such as Top Scariest Monsters, Gore FX, Twists etc TBA as our (2) official judge panel processes their TOP 10 VOTES towards the top rankings.
7. Before Christmas, the season finale determines a date as the judges’ window closes mid-December at the very latest. In the mean-time, awards and Top 10s release throughout the weekdays.
8. The season finale publishes soon enough, revealing the top rankings!
2018's JUDGES to be determined summer 2018, but here's what our 2017 judge panel was:
SEASON 3 (2017)
Lloyd Kaufman (Troma)
Nicholas Vince (Hellraiser)
Barbie Wilde (Hellbound: Hellraiser II)
Simon Bamford (Hellraiser)
Amy Steel (Friday the 13th Part 2)
Amanda Wyss (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
Lisa Wilcox (A Nightmare on Elm Street 4)
Geretta Geretta (Demons)
Barbara Magnolfi (Suspiria)
William Butler (Night of the Living Dead 1990)
Cindy Hinds (The Brood)
Jackey Raye Neyman Jones (Manos: Hands of Fate)
Mark Torgl (The Toxic Avenger)
Tiffany Shepis (Tromeo & Juliet)
Will Keenan (Terror Firmer)
Bonnie Aarons (The Conjuring 2)
Alan Bagh (Birdemic)
Najarra Townsend (Contracted)
Hannah Fierman (V/H/S)
Alex Essoe (Starry Eyes)
Laurence R. Harvey (Human Centipede 2 & 3)
Jill Sixx (Call Girl, The Stylist)
Jessica Cameron (Truth or Dare, Mania)
Ellie Church (Frankenstein Created Bikers)
Kevin Martin (Straight to Video: A B-Movie Odyssey)
Jennilee Murray (Smash Cut)
Bloodbath & Beyond
Past seasons have also included David F. Sandberg (Lights Out), Helene Udy (My Bloody Valentine), Lee Demarbre (Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter), Marc Sheffler (Last House on the Left), Thommy Hutson (Never Sleep Again), Chelsey Valentine (American Horror Story), Kansas Bowling (B.C. Butcher), Reagan Dale Neis (Camera Obscura) as well as some close calls who almost were able to take part! Hopefully next year <3
THE VOTES ARE IN
Judges include a selfie holding a sign of their Top 10 picks!
AND THE AWARD GOES TO...
Members of the international art community award films in a variety of categories from scariest monsters, best gore FX, and more TBA
Our greatest hits are showcased at conventions worldwide.
2018 conventions (to date):
Birmingham Horror Con (Birmingham, UK)
February 24th - 25th 2018
Conventions who showcased us in 2017:
Chris Roaf's 15 Second Horror Film Challenge Night
October 14th 2017
Bar Theatre LUDO
Birmingham Horror Con (Birmingham, UK)
October 28th - 29th 2017
Bristol Horror Con (Bristol, UK)
October 17th 2017
Future Inn, Bristol
Canada Fan Expo (Toronto, ON)
August 31st - September 3rd 2017
Metro Toronto Convention Centre
Dead of Night Film Festival
October 20th - 21st 2017
The Atkinson Theatre, Southport
Crypticon Seattle (Seattle, US)
Event time/date TBA 2017
Fan Expo Odessa (Odessa, Ukraine)
Aug 12th & 13th 2017
Odessa Marine Passenger Terminal
FearNYC (New York, US)
October 23 – 29 2017
Sonnet Theater, Times Square
Horrorthon: H3 (Texas, US)
October 25 2017
Edwards Houston Marq'E Stadium 23 & IMAX
Jacksonville Public Library's MakerCon
October 14th 2017
Jekyll Island Comic Con
December 9th - 10th 2017
Jekyll Island Convention Center
TOXIE LOVES YOU
Troma showcases Top 20 films onto the official TromaMovies YouTube channel of over 186,000 subscribers!
All filmmakers receive official selection, award, and/or ranking laurels.
NEW disqualification film: Since we launched three years ago, we've received many renditions of the 'There's a monster under my bed, a monster in my bed" two-sentence horror 'creepypasta'. In our third year, LUMA Films' "Good Night!" was by far the most eloquent and unanimously acclaimed take. In light of its success, we're officially retiring this specific 'Monster under my bed, in my bed' trope from future programming.
Who is allowed to enter?
Everyone from anywhere around the world.
When do the judges' results release?
Throughout November, into December. All results are released onto our Facebook page. Winners will be contacted shortly after.
Can I submit more than one film?
Yes. All entries will be considered.
Can I submit an entry I had submitted into an early 15 Second Horror Film Challenge season?
Can I upload/share my entry elsewhere before the Halloween premiere?
Yes. There's no disqualifications for sharing your work at any time.
Does 15 Second Horror Film Challenge acquire the rights to my entry?
We do not acquire exclusive rights, however, by submitting into the contest you grant non-exclusive exhibition rights for us to reproduce/remix work into promo trailers, as well as screen your work at conventions. All directors are credited.
Can I have extra time to include opening/closing credits?
No. All filmmakers only have fifteen seconds.
Can I include credits within my fifteen seconds?
Although not recommend, yes.
HOW TO ENTER
What we need from you:
- Your entry's file.
- Your director credit.
What is compatible:
- .mp4s work best.
- Mov files will be compressed into .mp4 if they are large files.
- .wmv will be converted into .mp4
- Ideal resolution is 1080 or 720.
- 4K is not accepted.
WHAT IS ALLOWED & NOT ALLOWED?
What is allowed:
Violence, gore, explicit language.
What is not allowed:
- Malicious by nature material (racist, sexist, hateful etc).
- Explicit sexual violence.
- Sexual innuendo towards children.
Narratives not allowed:
Musical.ly uploads, horror make-up selfies, trailers.
Content that will be under review:
Sexual violence. Sometimes a cartoony vibe is acceptable, whereas a very straight tone may fare too intense for general audiences.
Narratives that will be under review:
Films with unclear narratives or experimental films.