LEARN, PLAY, EXPLORE, NETWORK, AND FEAST YOUR MIND.
WLG-X is a festival of creative collisions, blending the worlds of tech, design, film and music over 5 days in Wellington, New Zealand – the world’s coolest little capital.
Shape the future of innovation and creativity through connections, experiences and discovery. Confirmed guest speakers include Liz Manashil (Creative Distribution Manager at Sundance Institute) and Nonny de la Peña (The Godmother of VR and CEO of Emblematic Group)
WLG-X is committed to diversity both in front of and behind the camera and a minimum of 51% of our films will be directed by women/non-cis persons.
This immersive film festival experience will be the largest single city film festival in New Zealand. We are committed to 21st century trends in cinema and in addition to panels and discussions about where cinema is headed, we will also be showcasing TV, and indie episodic content. Film venues range in size from 60-300 seats spread throughout the center of Wellington.
Documentary Feature Competition
Narrative Feature Competition
Musical Mashup (Music centric/themed films)
Performance Art Docs
Future Film (Tech centric cinema)
Short Film (Doc, Narrative, and Animated)
Web Series/Indie Episodic/TV
Grand Jury Prize Documentary Feature
Special Jury Prize Documentary Feature
Grand Jury Prize Narrative Feature
Special Jury Prize Narrative Feature
Grand Jury Prize Short Film
Special Jury Prize Short Film
1) There are no length restrictions for content, however WLG-X defines a short film as 40 minutes or less and a feature film 41 Minutes or more. Television content can be up to the first four episodes and indie episodic content can be submitted as a single episode or multiple episodes up to 60 minutes in total.
2) Only films completed on or after March, 2018 will be considered.
3) If the film is not in English, then it must have English subtitles
4) Feature Films must be a New Zealand premiere. Shorts and Indie Episodic content do not have a premiere requirement.
5) All submissions are screened and evaluated by WLG-X's programming team. Their reports and evaluations are confidential. Our lineup will consist of approximately 24 feature films and 24 short films. While WLG-X cannot provide feedback on all films submitted, filmmakers will be notified by August 1st (or earlier) if their film is to be invited.
6) In the event of a film being withdrawn, WLG-X will not be liable to refund the fee or return the materials entered.
7) We invite you to propose yourself to WLG-X to hold a panel, fire-side chat, workshop or activation within your field of expertise, aligned with our Festival of Creative Collisions. You can submit this application via our website's Apply page.
8) WLG-X will determine when films in the festival will screen. Whenever possible we will work with filmmakers to screen films around their schedules should they be able to attend.
9) WLG-X will not pay screening fees but may be able to provide support for travel.
10) A fee is required upon submission. For payment structures, see what is listed on our FilmFreeway profile.
11) There is one entry fee per film. Films will be considered for multiple sections depending on their content but all feature films, shorts, and VR/AR will be considered for competition.
12) WLG-X will prioritize uploads to eliminate shipping whenever possible. In the event that WLG-X requires BluRay or DCP we will cover shipping one way (to or from) New Zealand. Exclusively the participant shall pay remaining fees in relation to the uploading or transportation of submissions to/from WLG-X. The Festival will not be responsible for the cost of receiving any additional materials such as posters.
13) Any poster must be made available to WLG-X at least a month in advance so it can be submitted to be rated for public viewing in New Zealand. This will be at the cost of the filmmaker.
14) If music and/or additional film material used in your film is not original, then permission from source must be obtained. The responsibility for this rests entirely with the filmmaker. Failure to obtain clearance could result in your film being withdrawn from the Festival. In this event, WLG-X will not be liable to refund the fee or return the materials entered.
15) The submission of a film to WLG-X will be considered to be an acknowledgement of the festival rules.
16) Entrants should upload their film to FilmFreeway on the day of or prior to submitting.
17) WLG-X will contact you if there are any technical problems with your film submission.
18) Please do not send DVD’s, BluRay or copies of your film directly to us unless we have requested you to do so.
19) Narrative films (both shorts and features) that have not yet been rated in NZ will be submitted for rating by WLG-X no later than one month prior to the start of the festival. This will require a viewing link for the NZ ratings board(s) to evaluate the film. This must be identical length to the film that we show at WLG-X. If this is not able to be provided WLG-X may withdraw the film from the festival with no penalty.