The annual Vancouver International Film Festival is a showcase of exceptional cinema in one of the world’s most beautiful cities. In 2024, VIFF will present approximately 130 features and 100 shorts and expand the frame with talks, creative development opportunities, performances, and other unique events that celebrate film and film culture.
VIFF's 2023 edition screened cinema from 70 countries and offered Vancouver audiences the opportunity to experience 28 world premieres, 12 international premieres, 33 North American premieres and 56 Canadian premieres.
FILM PROGRAMMING SERIES
Galas & Special Presentations: Highly anticipated films screening in our marquee venue.
Showcase: Exceptional films by revered directors, major award winners, and work that's very much of the moment.
Panorama: An array of remarkable narrative films from every corner of the globe.
Vanguard: Rising international talents bring their singular visions to the screen.
Northern Lights: The next wave of Canadian and Indigenous storytellers.
Insights: Documentaries that change the way we see the world.
Spectrum: A collection of innovative nonfiction filmmaking.
Portraits: A kaleidoscope of ground-breaking artists, great performances, and cultural icons.
Altered States: This is where the wild ones come out to play.
VIFF Short Forum: The perspectives and approaches that are elevating short-form storytelling
MODES: International short works that explore how far the form of cinema is capable of bending.
(These series are subject to change).
At the 2023 edition, VIFF presented the following awards:
Best Canadian Film Award
$15,000 award presented by the Directors Guild of Canada.
Best Canadian Documentary Award
$15,000 award presented by the Rogers Group of Funds.
$5,000 award presented by the Lochmaddy Foundation.
Emerging Canadian Director Award
$3,000 award presented by the Directors Guild of Canada.
Best BC Film Award
$10,000 award from Creative BC and $15,000 in post-production services credit supplied by Company 3.
Best Canadian Short Film Award
$2,000 cash prize presented by VIFF.
2024 RULES & TERMS FOR FILMS
ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY
1) Submitted feature films must not have been broadcast, distributed on VOD/home video, or screened in-person either at another festival or theatrically in the Vancouver area. Submitted short films must not have been broadcast, or screened in-person either at another festival or theatrically in the Vancouver area.
2) Submissions should have been completed after June 1, 2023.
3) All non-English language submissions must have English subtitles.
4) All applicable licenses and waivers of copyrights, moral rights, trademarks and other such intellectual property rights have been secured by the filmmaker(s)
5) Submission fees are non-refundable.
Accepted feature films can be exhibited theatrically on DCP. The dates, times, and locations of screenings of selected films is at the discretion of the festival.
SHIPPING WHEN APPLICABLE
1. Once a film has been accepted for participation in the Festival, detailed shipping instructions will be sent to the print supplier.
2. The Festival agrees to cover transportation and insuring prints both ways directly to and from the actual print supplier, or to cover one-way transportation when the print is shipped to or from other festivals.
3. Each print sent to the Festival from outside of Canada enters the country on a Canada Customs "Duty Free Temporary Admissions Permit" and must be returned after the Festival.
In the case of loss or serious damage to a DCP, the obligation of the Festival is limited to compensating the producer or distributor only to the cost of making a new print or DCP.
Participation in the Vancouver International Film Festival implies understanding and acceptance of these regulations:
1) Vancouver International Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
2) The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
3) The submitter shall indemnify and hold harmless Vancouver International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.