The Tasveer South Asian Film Festival (TSAFF) is the largest South Asian film festival in the United States and one of the two largest in the world. TSAFF takes place annually in the beautiful Pacific Northwest city of Seattle in Washington State and its surrounding cities. In 2019, our 15th year, TSAFF took place over 14 days, presenting thought-provoking films & forums on South Asia and its diaspora, to engage viewers in dialogue on the issues of human rights, social/political/economic justice, and representation.
In 2020 there will be a special focus on South Asian diaspora stories.
The last year festival took place from September 26th - Oct 6th, 2019, in venues across the Seattle Metropolitan area, with more than 60 films and 5000 expected festival attendees.
TSAFF is produced by a nonprofit arts organization Tasveer founded in 2002. TSAFF provides a platform to South Asian storytellers from around the globe, through films, workshops, monologues, and panel discussions. We believe film can be a powerful medium to bridge ideas and communities and create deeper understanding through stories, in order to foster a happier and healthier world.
Tasveer Emerald Award:
Awarded to highly accomplished filmmakers in Recognition of Significant Contribution to South Asian Film and Diaspora Stories.
Archana Soy Audience Award for emerging directors:
Tasveer invites submission of films on themes related to South Asia and its Diaspora. Feature films, shorts, documentaries, music videos, VR/360 films, experimental films, and animations of any length.
The 12-day South Asian film festival, the largest in the US, will foster an atmosphere of creative inquiry, filmmakers and audiences will engage in lively discussions, forums, and other collaborative interactive formats.
South Asia includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and its various Diasporas across the world.
-- All works must be related to South Asia and/or its Diaspora. This includes films made by filmmakers of South Asian origin, as well as those by non-South Asian filmmakers that focus on a South Asian theme.
-- Films that are not in English must have English subtitles.
-- We prefer Washington State premieres, though not required.
-- All work MUST be a Seattle premiere.
-- All works must have been released in 2019 and after.
-- To be eligible for a student film submission, either school name must be in the credits or filmmaker must be currently enrolled in school.
-- Films already available online will only be selected in exceptional cases as determined by the selection committee. In general, we do not screen films that are already available online.
Exceptions could be discussed via email to festival directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Fill out the submission form on FilmFreeway by choosing the appropriate category.
2. Pay the Entry Fee.
3. Send a preview copy of your film via an online link. The link must be non-expiring
The Director of Programming, Executive Director, and a selection committee of professionals and community members preview each film and make programming decisions. If accepted, we will notify filmmakers via email by the dates listed on the form.
IF YOU ARE ACCEPTED
1. We do not pay a rental fee for the programmed work. Please let us know in advance if your film is being acquired by a distributor.
2. We do not provide airfare & stay for every filmmaker who is selected for the film festival.
Selection is based on our discretion.
Upon being selected, we will ask you to send the following:
1. Film Stills;
2. Director's photo;
3. Links to a Press Kit;
4. Film trailer if one exists;
5. Exhibition format of the film - You will be responsible for paying for one-way shipping if it is being mailed. Return is not guaranteed. Digital delivery is preferred.
5. Online link for press preview;
6. The exhibition format should arrive at the notified address 4 weeks prior to the start of the festival.
7. Due to numerous problems with DVD submissions, we are no longer accepting DVDs for exhibition format. We accept high-quality MP4 and DCP formats. Please reach us if you have a concern or question regarding format.