The Liverpool Underground Film Festival is a seasonal film and screenplay competition, culminating in a week-long festival programme in Summer.
The festival seeks to showcase daring, unique, and entertaining independent films that transgress convention while challenging complacent audience expectations. We are committed to supporting filmmakers working outside of established industry infrastructures by providing a platform for exhibition and critical discussion, while fostering an alternative, international community based around independent and experimental cinema.
The 2021 edition is being held online, whereas 2022 will be a physical festival. The venues are TBC, but the festival will be held in the Liverpool City Region.
The Underground Award
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Lockdown Film
Best Supporting Actor/Actress
Best Original Score
Best Sound Design
Best Narrative Feature
Best Narrative Short
Best Supporting Actor
Each winner will receive a certificate, and will be showcased in our blog and podcast.
What we want to avoid is sending out a list and leaving it there. We will discuss and review chosen films and the impact they've had on us. The goal is to put a spotlight on the chosen work.
Please note that every submission to the Liverpool Underground Film Festival is eligible for selection in May.
By submitting your film, take note that:
- Submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee.
- Submissions has to be in English or in English subtitles, unless it's not essential for the comprehension of the film.
- Submissions must be submitted on FilmFreeway by an online password-protected streaming URL (such as Vimeo)
- Works in progress must be completed by the end of March. You must let us know in your cover letter if it is a work in progress.
- You agree for us to use parts of your film (including trailer/teaser/film poster/stills) for promotional purpose.
- Entry fees are non-refundable. You understand if you are not selected, your entry fee will not be reimbursed.
- The film must have been completed after January 2019.
- It will not be available online.
- Feature films must run over 40 minutes
- Short films must be less than 40 minutes
- If selected, your exhibition copy is required by 15th April 2020.
- Each submission window begins and ends on the 21st of each month. We do not accept submissions from the 21st February 2021.
- We prefer your press kit and all your materials to be sent online, but if not please note all shipping costs to and from the office will be covered by the entrant.
- It is the participant's responsibility to ensure the rights to their films are cleared for the festival. The festival will not be held liable for any issues or lawsuits regarding any films that are entered into the festival.
- The festival will make sure to take care of all materials belonging to the entrants, but will not be responsible for any damages.