Calling all independent comedic/horror filmmakers from around the world!
Foggy Isle is a darkly comedic film festival based out of Victoria, British Columbia, with a mission to showcase short films that celebrate all that is weird, macabre, and darkly hilarious. While we mostly feature dark comedies and horror comedies, Foggy Isle is more about a mood than a genre. Because of the niche nature of these festival we highly encourage filmmakers to check out our past line-ups before submitting. Past film selections are listed at FoggyIsleFilms.com.
Assuming the world doesn't end, our 5th annual show is going to be bigger than ever! Not only will our live in-person show feature several stand-up comedians, we will also be offering an online version of the event (films only) for those that live out of town or are otherwise unable to make it to the in-person show. The full line-up and ticket details will be made available in August 2023.
Learn more about the Foggy Isle Film Festival, including past line-ups and press mentions, at FoggyIsleFilms.com.
1. Entries are accepted exclusively through FilmFreeway.com
2. Entries may be fiction, animation, or experimental. Films must be in English OR contain English subtitles. Films can have a maximum run-time of 15 minutes including credits. Only films completed after January 1, 2021 and that have not been previously released online will be considered. (Some exceptions re: run-time can be made, but it is rare. Please email us to ask.)
3. You give us permission (and own all appropriate rights) to screen your film online as part of the online portion of the show. The online component of the show will screen live following the in-person show, or in lieu of it if the world shuts down again (but we sure as hell hope that won't happen).
4. Films that are selected to screen at Foggy Isle Film Festival will be notified before 1 September 2023.
5. If a project is selected to screen, the filmmaker will be required to submit the following:
• Minimum two high-resolution film stills
• Brief synopsis of the film
• Film exhibition copy, minimum 1080 resolution, .mp4 or .mov file.
6. Films selected to screen at Foggy Isle Film Festival may not be withdrawn.
7. One representative from each selected film will be provided with one free event pass.
8. Your submission of this entry form confirms that:
• You have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration and accept the rules of Foggy Isle Film Festival.
• Foggy Isle Film Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, or royalty infringements related to the work.
• You agree to allow Foggy Isle Film Festival to use your film (in whole or in part) along with its publicity materials for promotional purposes.
9. Please do not ask for a deadline extension or submission waiver.
10. Please no torture porn/slasher flicks. We prefer horror comedies or "creative horror" over typical tropes. Every year someone submits a film about a boyfriend/girlfriend that get murdered on a date... Don't be that person, unless you actually have a unique take on it.
11. As this event works with an extremely limited budget and the help of many volunteers, we are unable to pay screening fees at this time.
Response from festival:
Much appreciated, Nicolaj!! Because we screen so many films from international filmmakers like yourself (shout out to Australia) we really want to still make Foggy Isle as much of an experience for everyone as possible. There are too many "festivals" that just throw some films online and call it a day -- that's not what Foggy Isle is about.
Thank you again for submitting BUSHRANGER STRAWBERRIES. It truly was one of the most original shorts we have screened, and I can't wait to see what you create next!